Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Rare Music Finds on the Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Perhaps Rivers in the Desert would be more your style.

It's got a catchy intro groove. Not really my style though. Thanks anyway. It seems like you're into silly songs. I'm not knockin it. They can be fun for certain occasions. Here's one of my favorite sillies:

Comment

I listened to a little more King Crimson, and while I can appreciate the stellar musicianship, it's definitely an acquired taste. The music that I am posting here is stuff that I immediately like as soon as I hear it. King Crimson is really really good, but not like the catchy kind of good that I like. I do have a couple of music groups that most would consider acquired tastes that I like listening to from time to time, one of those being Widespread Panic. Their music grew on me during a formative phase of my life so it's got a lot of positive associations with their sound. Even though they're good, they're not the kind of music that if I heard them for the first time on the radio, I'd be like " woah, leave it there...who is that!?!? I would keep flipping the channel and wouldn't give them a chance. I just acquired the taste through the subculture that surrounded the music and experiences that I had.

I am glad that I listened to King Crimson though, I just can't see me getting into them. I do enjoy that ethereal jam band sound, and they are exceptional artists.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
        Oh...so no body here is into music? You didn't like the Kurt Vile video?

Ima share a couple more here, and if no one wants to play, I'll take my Rare Music Finds on the Internet elsewhere. I'm telling you, I got a long collection and a wide spectrum of really really good underground music here. I'm always digging for new music, mining for cool creative sounds on the World Wide Web. Let me see what you have, and if I like it, it will go in my collection of the Best Rare Music Finds on the Internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd_s...ZO9t&index=117
        My current computer holds a massive file of music that I got off of my last computer that was downloaded by the guy who previously owned it. He boasted how he had virtually everything you can think of (and would point to five or six albums of Gregorian chants to illustrate how it covered every imaginable genre).

The very first group I asked him about (Foghat, best known for Slow Ride) he didn't have.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          My current computer holds a massive file of music that I got off of my last computer that was downloaded by the guy who previously owned it. He boasted how he had virtually everything you can think of (and would point to five or six albums of Gregorian chants to illustrate how it covered every imaginable genre).

The very first group I asked him about (Foghat, best known for Slow Ride) he didn't have.
          Awe man!

Got any Atlanta Rhythm Section?

Last edited by Machinist; 01-24-2022, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Awe man!

Got any Atlanta Rhythm Section?

Cities on Flame (with Rock and Roll), Godzilla, (Don't Fear) The Reaper, and Burning For You. Just once I'd like for them to play Veteran of the Psychic Wars or even She's as Beautiful as a Foot.

Now for really strange but oddly entertaining...

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's got a catchy intro groove. Not really my style though. Thanks anyway. It seems like you're into silly songs. I'm not knockin it. They can be fun for certain occasions. Here's one of my favorite sillies:

The first song is a bit silly*, but I wouldn't classify Rivers in the Desert as "silly". Especially the context of what it is from, and what is happening in the game when the music plays. Persona 5 can be silly at times, but it's also very dark.

*It's inspired by Disney villain songs. It also has a bit more of an impact when you play the demo of the game it is from. I look forward to the full game once it is released.

Comment

I listened to a little more King Crimson, and while I can appreciate the stellar musicianship, it's definitely an acquired taste. The music that I am posting here is stuff that I immediately like as soon as I hear it. King Crimson is really really good, but not like the catchy kind of good that I like. I do have a couple of music groups that most would consider acquired tastes that I like listening to from time to time, one of those being Widespread Panic. Their music grew on me during a formative phase of my life so it's got a lot of positive associations with their sound. Even though they're good, they're not the kind of music that if I heard them for the first time on the radio, I'd be like " woah, leave it there...who is that!?!? I would keep flipping the channel and wouldn't give them a chance. I just acquired the taste through the subculture that surrounded the music and experiences that I had.

I am glad that I listened to King Crimson though, I just can't see me getting into them. I do enjoy that ethereal jam band sound, and they are exceptional artists.
                That would be their "progressive" side. That's why I mentioned Greg Lake. His music is more commercial, palatable. His career continued with ELP post 1970

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

That would be their "progressive" side. That's why I mentioned Greg Lake. His music is more commercial, palatable. His career continued with ELP post 1970

That quite good. The chord progression is really tight and I like the little off key strumming he does up the neck to the chorus "you turn me on".

Comment

The first song is a bit silly*, but I wouldn't classify Rivers in the Desert as "silly". Especially the context of what it is from, and what is happening in the game when the music plays. Persona 5 can be silly at times, but it's also very dark.

*It's inspired by Disney villain songs. It also has a bit more of an impact when you play the demo of the game it is from. I look forward to the full game once it is released.
                    So you're a gamer. OK. I went back and listened to it again. It does sound gamey. The chorus is pretty catchy too and sounds like it has a touch of Soul.

Comment

That quite good. The chord progression is really tight and I like the little off key strumming he does up the neck to the chorus "you turn me on".
                      It's funny how some singers just have the right "sound" - despite not being especially trained or with some amazing range or control. Lake is one of those for me; his "sound" or tone always resonated with me. And the fact I like his compositions makes it all the better. And in the same category, John Lennon's raw rock-n-roll vocals hit me in the right spot.

Comment

Cities on Flame (with Rock and Roll), Godzilla, (Don't Fear) The Reaper, and Burning For You. Just once I'd like for them to play Veteran of the Psychic Wars or even She's as Beautiful as a Foot.

Mothers Finest (Baby Love!). It never gets old. They are one the few classic rock bands with music that has aged well. So have the Doobies.

I bet those are fun memories hanging out with Mothers Finest. Aren't they from ATL?

96roc.JPG

It was odd, yes.

Comment

Mothers Finest (Baby Love!). It never gets old. They are one the few classic rock bands with music that has aged well. So have the Doobies.

I bet those are fun memories hanging out with Mothers Finest. Aren't they from ATL?

96roc.JPG

It was odd, yes.
                          They were big in the Atlanta bar scene in the 70s pretty much breaking out with their (controversial even then) hit about um ..."...can't sang rock'n'roll"

Comment

So you're a gamer. OK. I went back and listened to it again. It does sound gamey. The chorus is pretty catchy too and sounds like it has a touch of Soul.
                            Yeah, I play a lot of video games. Outside of video games I have a hard time finding music I like*. A few Disney songs, and a couple of very rare movie soundtracks** are on my list.

*Fortunately there is a huge variety of music in video games that is really good. There is something for every mood, everything from bright and cheerful like, to depressing, to triumphant, to haunting. Square Enix, Atlus, and Nintendo are the major players when it comes to great sound tracks in video games. A YouTube channel called Man on the Internet has taken a lot of good stuff and added lyrics that weren't in the original product. Heck, they've taken two video games and made complete musicals from them.

Bandai Namco also has some really good stuff in their "Tales of" series of games. The Tales of Berseria***, Symphonia, and Zestiria games all have great opening themes.

**Digimon the Movie had a great soundtrack. All Star, The Rockefeller Skank, One Week, The Impression That I Get, Run Around, Kids in America and a few more that aren't named when converted to a file on my computer.

***The opening here goes from something calm and classical to a heavier metal or rock music. While not a game Rorouni Kenshin starts with a heavier music and then transitions into Japanese pop music. It's a little jarring the first time you listen to it, but it's pretty good.

Comment

Yeah, I play a lot of video games. Outside of video games I have a hard time finding music I like*. A few Disney songs, and a couple of very rare movie soundtracks** are on my list.

*Fortunately there is a huge variety of music in video games that is really good. There is something for every mood, everything from bright and cheerful like, to depressing, to triumphant, to haunting. Square Enix, Atlus, and Nintendo are the major players when it comes to great sound tracks in video games. A YouTube channel called Man on the Internet has taken a lot of good stuff and added lyrics that weren't in the original product. Heck, they've taken two video games and made complete musicals from them.

Bandai Namco also has some really good stuff in their "Tales of" series of games. The Tales of Berseria***, Symphonia, and Zestiria games all have great opening themes.

**Digimon the Movie had a great soundtrack. All Star, The Rockefeller Skank, One Week, The Impression That I Get, Run Around, Kids in America and a few more that aren't named when converted to a file on my computer.

***The opening here goes from something calm and classical to a heavier metal or rock music. While not a game Rorouni Kenshin starts with a heavier music and then transitions into Japanese pop music. It's a little jarring the first time you listen to it, but it's pretty good.
                              I remember playing Legend of Zelda on the Nintendo back in the 80's. I haven't been into video games since I think.

On this subject though, my kids were playing Portal recently, and they really liked it. I think it's a really good educational...sorta concept building type of video game. Do you know of this game and are there any others like it? Basically, what is the smartest video game that you have ever played?

Comment

They were big in the Atlanta bar scene in the 70s pretty much breaking out with their (controversial even then) hit about um ..."...can't sang rock'n'roll"

The bar scene in the 70's. I'm guessing you were in your early 20's.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X