Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Rare Music Finds on the Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

It's funny how some singers just have the right "sound" - despite not being especially trained or with some amazing range or control. Lake is one of those for me; his "sound" or tone always resonated with me. And the fact I like his compositions makes it all the better. And in the same category, John Lennon's raw rock-n-roll vocals hit me in the right spot.
    I'm thinking Jeff Buckley.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

The bar scene in the 70's. I'm guessing you were in your early 20's.
      Late teens and twenties.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Late teens and twenties.
        Here's a good one with a 70's vibe:

I especially love the lyrics.

Wait, this is 70's. I just found these guys within the past couple years.
        Last edited by Machinist; 01-25-2022, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I remember playing Legend of Zelda on the Nintendo back in the 80's. I haven't been into video games since I think.

On this subject though, my kids were playing Portal recently, and they really liked it. I think it's a really good educational...sorta concept building type of video game. Do you know of this game and are there any others like it? Basically, what is the smartest video game that you have ever played?
          Legend of Zelda remains one of Nintendo's best franchises. It also has some of their best music.

Since you say kids that is probably Portal 2 which has multiplayer and a level editor. There are numerous games that can make you think. I recently played Superliminal. It's a first person puzzle game with a co-op option, although you will need two PC's and two copies of the game. The Witness and Quantum Conundrum are similar, but single player. That's all I can think of offhand for games that are a lot like Portal and Portal 2, although they don't have a level editor like Portal 2 does.

Here are a few other good puzzle games Supraland is a single player first person puzzle game that takes inspiration from Legend of Zelda and Metroid games. It Takes Two* is a puzzle third person platformer with movement and variety very similar to something like Super Mario Odyssey, but with a heavy emphasis on puzzle solving and working together. Trine 1-4 are side scrolling puzzle platformers** with local co-op and online co-op. If you want building type games No Man's Sky is basically if you took Minecraft, gave it good graphics, and then made it heavily sci-fi. You can even fly to other planets and galaxies while you study flora and fauna. The game had bad reviews when it came out, but they have since delivered on most if not all of their initial development goals.

There are also games like Overcooked, Moving Out, and Tools Up! that require figuring out the best teamwork in order to finish the levels with a high enough score to finish the level. They are up to four players.

That's just a handful of titles I can think of offhand that require thinking and are family friendly for the most part. Oh wait, I did forget the Learning Japanese to Survive! games. Those are more explicitly educational, but they play like old Final Fantasy games. They also teach a bit about Japanese culture. I found I learned more Japanese and more quickly with using Duolingo, which I think is because you can do so much a lot more quickly. Duolingo also supports more languages than Japanese.

*It's rated T for Teen, so has a bit of cursing in it. It Takes Two only requires one copy to play even if you are playing on separate computers or consoles. The game is always in split screen even if you are using separate systems, but in order to play with another person online you need to make sure you are both on the same platform. So Xbox players need to play with Xbox players and so on.

**Except for Trine 3, which is a 3D puzzle platformer. It is currently the least liked in the series.

Comment

Thanks for the info there Cerebrum.

Comment

Here's a good one with a 70's vibe:

I especially love the lyrics.

Wait, this is 70's. I just found these guys within the past couple years.
              I remember buying the 45 when that song came out.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I remember buying the 45 when that song came out.
                One thing ima buy myself when I have the expendable cash is a record player. That would be so fun to sit around and listen to records.

Comment

One thing ima buy myself when I have the expendable cash is a record player. That would be so fun to sit around and listen to records.
                  These look like the record player I had as a kid.

Some of the kewl kids had the type where the lid contained a second speaker with about 6' of wire so that you could have Stereo!

And yes. This is the sorta phone me brudda and I had

istockphoto-154997148-612x612.jpg
                  But with a longer string.

Comment

Thanks for the info there Cerebrum.
                    You're welcome. I'm not the only gamer on here, but I do have a decent level of knowledge on the subject.

Comment

As far as Rare Music Finds on the Internet, this is one good example:

A couple things here that I personally like: The singer at times sounds like Jeff Buckley. Also, the name of the Song is Sum over Histories. I came across that term recently here on this forum and I immediately thought "band name". So I looked it up, and while there was no band with that name, it was a song title. (Sum over Histories refers to some quantum function with particles).

Saturn and Melancholy is the name of this band, and they only have 316 views. This is what I am really looking for...music that is really good, but for some reason, it gets suppressed and every now and then these gems are unearthed. I would not have found this song had it not been for that phrase that I read here on this forum. Do not listen to this on your phone. Be sure you have a nice comfortable place to enjoy it and take it in with a good sound system.

The singer channels some Jeff Buckley on that chorus!

Comment

Maybe some Esperanza Spalding? I personally have never seen a musician play an instrument like this, and sing at the same time ALL THE WHILE, both instrument and voice go in their separate directions. Maybe Jimi Hendrix had this ability?

Comment

Alright ya'll. Have a laid back and funky weekend:

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcSWuKMwOw

Comment

That's not rare. And it's Rick Astley. And it's ten freaking hours.

Comment

This is Rare. I'd wager no one here has heard of these guys. I can't say why... I just bet you haven't. Listen to how good this Houston based trio is.

Comment