Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obama: A Slap In the Face Of The Pope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    It's a catchy phrase but I'm wondering what it's a regression toward ... from a biblical perspective or an evolutionary one, it doesn't make much sense.
    Towards the mean, obviously,

Cmon sam :P

Comment

You guys are gonna make me get out the dictionary again, aren't you?

To be honest, I find it a bit confusing. Anthropological needs fewer meanings!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
        Towards the mean, obviously,

Cmon sam :P
        Wait, are we talking volatility stocks now? Should I be looking at the VIX or is that a sin?
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

It's more fun when you just supply the definitions yourself!
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

I interpret it to mean that heterosexual monogamy is a social and cultural institution that is uniquely suited to harnessing certain human impulses toward the creation of a stable and healthy society. Or something like that. That's a fancy-sounding definition, but it's not rigorous.
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              One of the things he called it was an "anthropological regression." I'm particularly fond of that phrasing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Pope Francis has not been been quick or keen to publicly address in-fighting, from my reading. Nor has he been willing to allow his strong doctrinal stances from standing in the way of meeting, serving, and accompanying what some might consider ideological opponents. Some liberals love, and some conservatives hate, Francis because they believe that he's uber-liberal. Others recognize that he's simply a man of much greater humility than is commonly seen and approaches the people in a very pastoral way.

So I'm personally very skeptical that Pope Francis is aghast at having to break bread with a gay Episcopal priest or a transsexual individual, let alone simply know that they're in the greeting party. If the Vatican were speaking for the Pope, I'm guessing that we'd have a name attached. Because this kind of pettiness doesn't strike me as Francis' temperament.
                I don't think that he is "aghast" but is savvy enough to realize how Obama operates and how this will be exploited to push an agenda that he is not in support of. While Francis is very sympathetic toward gays he is not at all tolerant of gay marriage and under him the Vatican has issued prohibitions against transsexuals being godparents at baptisms.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I don't think that he is "aghast" but is savvy enough to realize how Obama operates and how this will be exploited to push an agenda that he is not in support of. While Francis is very sympathetic toward gays he is not at all tolerant of gay marriage and under him the Vatican has issued prohibitions against transsexuals being godparents at baptisms.
                  If what you suspect were true, I'd imagine that Francis would have avoided a whole lot of encounters. As it is, he kinda seeks them out.

Comment

If what you suspect were true, I'd imagine that Francis would have avoided a whole lot of encounters. As it is, he kinda seeks them out.
                    He'll give anyone a hug, but he's not likely to give a nod to just any ideological statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      He'll give anyone a hug, but he's not likely to give a nod to just any ideological statement.
                      Assuming that these will be guests in an audience and not co-speakers at a conference, then ... I can't see Pope Francis making a snit (even through anonymous senior Vatican members) about this.

Comment

Assuming that these will be guests in an audience and not co-speakers at a conference, then ... I can't see Pope Francis making a snit (even through anonymous senior Vatican members) about this.
                        Again you're the one trying to portray Francis as either being aghast" or "making a snit" or else completely embracing the event rather than the reaction being somewhere in between -- like being justifiably cautious about being exploited to further Obama's agenda in a way that he has shown that he disapproves of.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Again you're the one trying to portray Francis as either being aghast" or "making a snit" or else completely embracing the event rather than the reaction being somewhere in between -- like being justifiably cautious about being exploited to further Obama's agenda in a way that he has shown that he disapproves of.
                          You offered an article claiming that the Vatican was giving "push back" to the White House for inviting these people, citing:

Source:

According to a senior Vatican official, the Holy See worries that any photos of the pope with these guests at the White House welcoming ceremony next Wednesday could be interpreted as an endorsement of their activities.

© Copyright Original Source

I'm pointing out that 1) that hasn't been Pope Francis' style and 2) its anonymity is very much in line with the Conservative push-back that Francis has been dealing with back at the Vatican.

I'm saying that Pope Francis likely won't have a problem with these people being in attendance, a claim I've supported with Francis' past actions. You're citing an article that implies he does, citing an anonymous source.

Comment

You offered an article claiming that the Vatican was giving "push back" to the White House for inviting these people, citing:

Source:

According to a senior Vatican official, the Holy See worries that any photos of the pope with these guests at the White House welcoming ceremony next Wednesday could be interpreted as an endorsement of their activities.

© Copyright Original Source

I'm pointing out that 1) that hasn't been Pope Francis' style and 2) its anonymity is very much in line with the Conservative push-back that Francis has been dealing with back at the Vatican.

I'm saying that Pope Francis likely won't have a problem with these people being in attendance, a claim I've supported with Francis' past actions. You're citing an article that implies he does, citing an anonymous source.

Comment

... for having a gay priest, a controversial nun, and a transsexual Catholic in attendance? And quietly but firmly making sure he doesn't get blindsided by having a senior official anonymously leak dissatisfaction to a journalist?

Long walk, Rogue.

Comment

So the Catholic right is definitely up in arms about this (I've seen a few links on my facebook feed), but just that reaction might serve as a sort of inoculation, since they've anticipated the worst the media could spin out of this reception.

But all of this is speculation. As for me, I'll sit and wait and see what actually happens.

Comment