Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obama: A Slap In the Face Of The Pope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pope Francis has said some things critical of gender theory.

Is it a slap in the face? Most likely not. But it does show what sort of agenda Obama's trying to set for the visit. If Obama wants the Church to focus more on caring for the poor than on moral issues(as he said in a talk at Georgetown earlier this year), maybe he shouldn't be so eager to pick fights on those moral issues.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post

Is it a slap in the face? Most likely not. But it does show what sort of agenda Obama's trying to set for the visit. If Obama wants the Church to focus more on caring for the poor than on moral issues(as he said in a talk at Georgetown earlier this year), maybe he shouldn't be so eager to pick fights on those moral issues.
      The OP is a Conservative news site calling out a handful of people from a crowd that's going to be 1000+ from the sound of it. Says more about the fights picked by the news site than Obama.
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        What? No invitation to Richard Dawkins? Why not a couple of pro-choice activists as well? just to round things out.

Must have been an oversight.
        How about some radicalized Muslims as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          The OP is a Conservative news site calling out a handful of people from a crowd that's going to be 1000+ from the sound of it. Says more about the fights picked by the news site than Obama.
          Sam reflexively chirps in with approval of the ultra-Left.

Hey, Sammie -- do you deny that these freaks were invited?

Who cares how many?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Or the media doing it

Well, in modern American parlance, "Love" is often equated with sex.

"We must have sex with all men."

The sodomites are very happy with this proclamation.

Comment

We'll see what comes of it, and what sort of statements the White House issues afterwards.

Comment

Oh, no. There will be undesirables in the crowd meeting the Pope! What on earth would Jesus say?

Somehow, I think Pope Francis will take this in good stride.
                Somehow, I think Francis probably is used to eating with sinners. He probably thinks it is part of his job.

I wonder if Obama's staff has invited anyone from the IRS?
                אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post

Don'y you think caring for the poor is a moral issue?

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                    Don'y you think caring for the poor is a moral issue?
                    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Actually, I think taking care of the poor is immoral. It goes against the survival of the fittest, which is the ruling principle of the universe.

Comment

I think we can all agree that Obama would have been a lot more awesome had the Pope been welcomed at a homeless shelter or food pantry in DC, though the Secret Service would probably not sign off on that.
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Somehow, I think Francis probably is used to eating with sinners. He probably thinks it is part of his job.

I wonder if Obama's staff has invited anyone from the IRS?
                        I thought that generally the purpose of doing so is to try to convert them and get them to mend their ways rather than to watch them for all intent and purposes parade their sins (come as a representative in support of it).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I thought that generally the purpose of doing so is to try to convert them and get them to mend their ways rather than to watch them for all intent and purposes parade their sins (come as a representative in support of it).
                          I don't doubt that at all, but I think Jesus also had other purposes as well. For example, in Luke's account, Jesus' is not trying to get the woman to repent, it seems she already has, but to forgive her, and he also seems interested in pointing out to Simon the Pharisee his lack of hospitality, gratitude, and repentance. Likewise, I think Francis might have different purposes and messages for the various guests and hosts at this white house reception, but I do not think he would be offended by the presence of sinners like himself, or at least he shouldn't be, in my opinion.

Comment

I don't doubt that at all, but I think Jesus also had other purposes as well. For example, in Luke's account, Jesus' is not trying to get the woman to repent, it seems she already has, but to forgive her, and he also seems interested in pointing out to Simon the Pharisee his lack of hospitality, gratitude, and repentance. Likewise, I think Francis might have different purposes and messages for the various guests and hosts at this white house reception, but I do not think he would be offended by the presence of sinners like himself, or at least he shouldn't be, in my opinion.
                            I hope you don't mind if I'm skeptical about them attending in order to seek forgiveness.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'd prefer an undisclosed location in a nondescript room without sentimentality
                              "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

I hope you don't mind if I'm skeptical about them attending in order to seek forgiveness.
                                No, not at all, skepticism is good, 'though I do hate cynicism, a failing I have been repenting of since the day I met my wife. But I was speaking of the intention of Jesus, not those of the woman in Luke's account, the sinners, the tax collectors, or Simon the Pharisee. So, by analogy, my post was only referring to the comparable attitude of Pope Francis.

Comment