Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    The thread's gone between comparing Muslim/Christian and White/Other. I would agree that there's probably more of a racial/cultural element to this than a strictly religious one. I doubt, for instance, that the police officers asked what the kid's religion is.
    The focus seemed to be on the fact that he was a Muslim from the very beginning. Why, then, would the police need to ask what religion he is? A Muslim is, by definition, a follower of the religion of Islam.

What am I missing?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Answer to SoR:

Doesn't justify not investigating. I agree that the school overstepped but not because they questioned an unknown device but because they showed no sense in how they subsequently handled the matter.

Innocence is not justification for judicial inaction unless proven.
      Judicial? It's a school yard not a courtroom. And it wasn't an unknown device after the kid repeatedly tried to talk sense into these imbeciles. I guarantee this would not have gone as far as it did if it was another ethnicity, and I bet deep down you know that too.

Yes, they have to protect the kids, but it sounds like with their knowledge level of explosives and lack of common sense, they'd be in serious trouble if a real terrorist ever tried the real thing. Scaring a kid and accusing him of one of the worst crimes does nothing to make the world safer - and in fact makes it darker.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        The focus seemed to be on the fact that he was a Muslim from the very beginning. Why, then, would the police need to ask what religion he is? A Muslim is, by definition, a follower of the religion of Islam.

What am I missing?
        It's got more to do with the fact that he has Middle Eastern ethnicity in his blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
          And it wasn't an unknown device after the kid repeatedly tried to talk sense into these imbeciles.
          Can you show where he "tried to talk sense" beyond just repeating "it's a clock"? That appears to be the complaint of the officials, was that he wouldn't say more than "it's a clock".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
            It's got more to do with the fact that he has Middle Eastern ethnicity in his blood.
            I think that's a stretch. Quite obviously, not everybody from the Middle East is a Muslim, and it's the Islamist aspect that's a threat, not ethnicity.

Comment

Can you show where he "tried to talk sense" beyond just repeating "it's a clock"? That appears to be the complaint of the officials, was that he wouldn't say more than "it's a clock".
              What more could he say? He tried to explain the components functions and how it related to it being a clock. It's not his fault that they don't know what the hell a bomb actually contains.

Comment

What am I missing?
                http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...ock-to-school/

Comment

I think that's a stretch. Quite obviously, not everybody from the Middle East is a Muslim, and it's the Islamist aspect that's a threat, not ethnicity.
                  How do we typically identify Muslims? Yeah, I think you know how.

Comment

What am I missing?
                    Muslim
                    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• <-----666.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                        What more could he say? He tried to explain the components functions and how it related to it being a clock. It's not his fault that they don't know what the hell a bomb actually contains.
                        Relax, SoR, we're just talking. So, when I say that the officials said he wouldn't explain, but kept saying "it's a clock", and that's all, you ask "what more could he say", and then say he tried to explain more.

So, which is it.... did he just keep saying "it was a clock", as the officials reported, or did he "try to explain the components function" like you're claiming?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Muslim
                          His father claims it's because of his name - which is a Muslim name, not just a "middle east" name.

From the cite in the OP -- "The boy's father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, said his son was "mistreated" because of his name and "because of Sept. 11."

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                            How do we typically identify Muslims? Yeah, I think you know how.
                            Their name is a huge clue - we really have no idea what their "race" is. The name has to do with their religion, not their race or country of origin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              His father claims it's because of his name - which is a Muslim name, not just a "middle east" name.

From the cite in the OP -- "The boy's father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, said his son was "mistreated" because of his name and "because of Sept. 11."
                              Yeah, that's an ethnic aspect.
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Relax, SoR, we're just talking. So, when I say that the officials said he wouldn't explain, but kept saying "it's a clock", and that's all, you ask "what more could he say", and then say he tried to explain more.

So, which is it.... did he just keep saying "it was a clock", as the officials reported, or did he "try to explain the components function" like you're claiming?
                                Stop trying to find a contradiction that you can pick at. The kid tried to explain himself as good as he could; I'm sure he never imagined this happening. Put yourself in his shoes. He's just a fourteen year old boy still scared of the world, a small geeky kid, and he's being questioned like he's meant harm to someone. Then he's handcuffed, not allowed to call his Dad, and taken to the city jailhouse.

I know I would have been peeing in my pants if that had happened to me as a kid.
                                Last edited by Sea of red; 09-17-2015, 09:35 PM.

Comment