Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High art:

Image 1442503300-001.jpg

On the merits, I'd like school officials using reasonable caution. The problem was everything past the point of calling down the engineering teacher and the possible (probable?) profiling.
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      Never said anything about being exempt from security. However, with a disabled person frisking can them cause a lot of harm. It took me days to recover from that. We had a doctors note and everything explicitly telling them not to touch me. There are other options. They have all kinds of devices for scanning, they don't need to pat someone down when it's going to likely injure them.
      Ok, thanks for the clarification.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        No, I never said anything about the bulk of the reaction. I do think airport security should exist though.
        I just think we do it really stupidly.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I just think we do it really stupidly.
          No argument there.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?" Irving police spokesman James McLellan told the Dallas Morning News.
            To tell the time. It's a clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Do you bet 900 kids lives on your ability to spot a suicide bomber's behavior or whether or not a kid might somehow get access to a plastic explosive in the age of the Internet, or do you question the device?

The over reaction occurs not when they question the device but when they refuse to use any sense applying the resources they have available and fail to address the kid's answers.
              Sure.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No, my point was that yours is a red herring.

Common sense didn't show up at that school that day.
                I was responding to Mountain Man saying the school was justified BECAUSE THE KID WAS MUSLIM. No Muslim kids in the US have blown up schools but many white kids have shot them up. To assume Muslim kids have a talent for bomb making is idiotic.

Comment

Yeah, T, did you skim over MM's post (I wouldn't blame you)?

It was the most hideous thing said in this thread

Comment

Do you bet 900 kids lives on your ability to spot a suicide bomber's behavior or whether or not a kid might somehow get access to a plastic explosive in the age of the Internet, or do you question the device?

The over reaction occurs not when they question the device but when they refuse to use any sense applying the resources they have available and fail to address the kid's answers.
                    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Sure.
                    Wrong question. Do you trust YOUR OWN children's lives on the ability of some teacher (one you don't even know) to spot a suicide bomber's behavior or whether some kid might somehow get access to enough gunpowder (remember we're in Texas) to make if not a deadly, a severally damaging pipe bomb?
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

When's the last time a school teacher in the US has had one of those to deal with?

We can't be afraid of everything all the time

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                        Wrong question. Do you trust YOUR OWN children's lives on the ability of some teacher (one you don't even know) to spot a suicide bomber's behavior or whether some kid might somehow get access to enough gunpowder (remember we're in Texas) to make if not a deadly, a severally damaging pipe bomb?
                        No, I wouldn't. You can't spot a suicide bomber - whether you like it or not. It's a sad state of paranoia in America when a teacher thinks a clock is a bomb, a principle thinks a clock is a bomb, and several cops thought a clock was a bomb. Does everybody here not know how a bomb functions? People need to get a grip and stop justifying their ignorance based paranoia on 9/11.

Comment

It's ironic that the white house is expressing empathy for the situation when they've been the main source propagating all this fear to the public.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                            Then never use a computer or especially a Rasberry Pi circuit board, after all it has wires that connect to each other, right?
                            I can honestly say I've never heard of a Raspberry Pi circuit board.

Comment

Without using Google, tell me the visual difference between a syphilitic palmer-plantar rash and a non-syphilitic rash. Can't? Why it's obvious - there isn't one on visual inspection.

Not everyone is an expert in everything - and it's grossly unfair to expect them to be. Not knowing what the innards of your computer look like doesn't make you stupid - it just makes you disinterested in electronics. Telling teachers they have to correctly identify every device that they don't recognize is foolish. The teacher was correct to question it. The problem occurs when no one seems to have enough sense to get the one teacher that should have been called to see what the thing was.

That there wasn't any dynamite strapped to it really doesn't eliminate the possibility of plastic explosives. That the teacher didn't know it wasn't dangerous doesn't make them reactionary - that it escalated to calling the cops when more rational means were available does.

The student was at fault only in bringing the thing, which is a minor fault (lack of foresight) and hauling it around after being told it wasn't a good idea to have it at school. Neither is malicious nor particularly stupid and neither deserved punishment of any sort.

The engineering teacher probably could have done a better job by offering to keep it for the student until time to leave or telling him to put it in his locker (eh, I like the first better) but hindsight is twenty-twenty.
                              Innocent until proven guilty, Teal. Accusing somebody of having a bomb when you don't know the first thing about one is never justified. One doesn't have to be an expert to know the difference between a circuit board hooked into a display panel, and an actual explosive device.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                                Innocent until proven guilty, Teal. Accusing somebody of having a bomb when you don't know the first thing about one is never justified. One doesn't have to be an expert to know the difference between a circuit board hooked into a display panel, and an actual explosive device.
                                Right, and that's what went wrong here. They didn't ask him what he had. They just came in and said "so you have a bomb."

Comment