Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Well, a circuit board, a bunch of wires, and other unidentifiable parts inside a briefcase could certainly make me nervous in the right (or wrong) setting. Imagine someone trying to sneak that past airport security.
    If airport security is now the threshold for what's acceptable, I can't wait until we see kids getting expelled for bringing toothpaste to school.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      If airport security is now the threshold for what's acceptable, I can't wait until we see kids getting expelled for bringing toothpaste to school.
      Or seeing them frisk people who are in wheelchairs.

Comment

Fair point.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
          The student repeatedly told officials that it was a clock, so I don't see where he's at fault.
          I never said he was at fault. My point is only that the teachers did not necessarily act inappropriately.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            ...and there's obviously no explosive component to it.
            Is it obvious? For someone who really doesn't know anything about bombs, it's not obvious to me. From what I know of plastic explosives, you don't need a huge amount to cause considerable damage, and a sufficient amout could be easily concealed inside, say, a homemade clock.

All I'm saying is that the teachers weren't wrong to respond how they did, especially in today's environment.

Comment

This type of reasoning is what lead to the creation of the Patriot act.... Just because something can be used for bad thing does not mean we overreact to situations. The student repeatedly told officials that it was a clock, so I don't see where he's at fault.
              Without using Google, tell me the visual difference between a syphilitic palmer-plantar rash and a non-syphilitic rash. Can't? Why it's obvious - there isn't one on visual inspection.

Not everyone is an expert in everything - and it's grossly unfair to expect them to be. Not knowing what the innards of your computer look like doesn't make you stupid - it just makes you disinterested in electronics. Telling teachers they have to correctly identify every device that they don't recognize is foolish. The teacher was correct to question it. The problem occurs when no one seems to have enough sense to get the one teacher that should have been called to see what the thing was.

That there wasn't any dynamite strapped to it really doesn't eliminate the possibility of plastic explosives. That the teacher didn't know it wasn't dangerous doesn't make them reactionary - that it escalated to calling the cops when more rational means were available does.

The student was at fault only in bringing the thing, which is a minor fault (lack of foresight) and hauling it around after being told it wasn't a good idea to have it at school. Neither is malicious nor particularly stupid and neither deserved punishment of any sort.

The engineering teacher probably could have done a better job by offering to keep it for the student until time to leave or telling him to put it in his locker (eh, I like the first better) but hindsight is twenty-twenty.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                He wasn't trying to sneak it anywhere, let alone past airport security - and there's obviously no explosive component to it. Further, people do not nonchalantly carry around bombs in their backpacks - people who are sent on suicide bombing missions are typically hopped up on drugs and/or nervous as all getout.
                Do you bet 900 kids lives on your ability to spot a suicide bomber's behavior or whether or not a kid might somehow get access to a plastic explosive in the age of the Internet, or do you question the device?

The over reaction occurs not when they question the device but when they refuse to use any sense applying the resources they have available and fail to address the kid's answers.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  Or seeing them frisk people who are in wheelchairs.
                  Why should people who are in wheelchairs be exempt from security? Or old ladies, for that matter? Terrorist groups are known for using people (even unknowing children) who they know nobody would suspect.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Let's just be afraid of everything all the time!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                      Let's just be afraid of everything all the time!
                      Taking reasonable precautions doesn't equate to fearing everything.

Comment

You really believe that the bulk of our countries post 9/11 reaction counts as that?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                          You really believe that the bulk of our countries post 9/11 reaction counts as that?
                          No, I never said anything about the bulk of the reaction. I do think airport security should exist though.

Comment

Then never use a computer or especially a Rasberry Pi circuit board, after all it has wires that connect to each other, right?
                            Seriously, this level scorn is just misplaced...just because you and I with electronics training and experience can spot something quickly doesn't mean a teacher who teaches say...English...can. This is a SCHOOL! Appropriate precautions need to be taken until it can be determined with certainty that there's no danger. The problem came later with the police and school Admin continuing to overreact when it should have been clear after an expert examination it was what it was claimed to be.
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Why should people who are in wheelchairs be exempt from security? Or old ladies, for that matter? Terrorist groups are known for using people (even unknowing children) who they know nobody would suspect.
                              They shouldn't, but neither do you frisk everyone. He is referring to an egregious case.

There is a balance between due caution and paranoia.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Never said anything about being exempt from security. However, with a disabled person frisking can them cause a lot of harm. It took me days to recover from that. We had a doctors note and everything explicitly telling them not to touch me. There are other options. They have all kinds of devices for scanning, they don't need to pat someone down when it's going to likely injure them.

Comment