Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    A disassembly/reassembly effort with soldering and rewiring is a serious engineering project for a 14 year-old kid...
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      That's something I find puzzling. He was there. She was not. Why did he need her to tell him what happened?
      It's not puzzling at all if you know the family's history. This isn't their first publicity stunt (although it's apparently their most successful). The sister was just making sure her brother stayed on script.
      Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-25-2015, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

No - it's more about the dishonesty of his "craftsmanship".

Sam can snap all he wants - it seems to be who he's become.
        Why are you so focused on the quality of his craftsmanship? The kid is 14. I don't know how long he's been tinkering with electronics, but you are being uncharitable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
          Why are you so focused on the quality of his craftsmanship? The kid is 14. I don't know how long he's been tinkering with electronics, but you are being uncharitable.
          Growing up the kids I knew who were into electronics were doing very competent work well before 14 and doing things like repairing TVs

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Growing up the kids I knew who were into electronics were doing very competent work well before 14 and doing things like repairing TVs
            Which was, when? 1960's or 70s? What point are you trying to make here?

Comment

Why are you so focused on the quality of his craftsmanship?
              Because he's being praised to the high-heavens for it (invites from the White House, Google, MIT, and thousands of dollars worth of swag from Microsoft), and Sam called it a "serious engineering project".

In other words, the left is trying very, very hard to downplay the fact that it looks like a homemade bomb that was inexpertly cobbled together, and they're showering Ahmed with unwarranted (and perhaps even unmerited) praise, so challenging the quality of his workmanship is a valid point of contention.
              Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-25-2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Because the work tells us something about what the kid was actually doing. We have no comps of his work but he is alleged to be good with electronics. The crudeness of the device doesn't support that so why is it so crude.? Was it a bad day, did his dad put him up to something his heart wasn't into? Why?

Or was that truly the best he could do? The answer helps to tells us the purpose
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Which was, when? 1960's or 70s? What point are you trying to make here?
                  That you act like the work of a 14 year old who is interested in electronics will look like crap

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Because the work tells us something about what the kid was actually doing. We have no comps of his work but he is alleged to be good with electronics. The crudeness of the device doesn't support that so why is it so crude.? Was it a bad day, did his dad put him up to something his heart wasn't into? Why?

Or was that truly the best he could do? The answer helps to tells us the purpose
                    Being "good with electronics" has a pretty wide range of meaning. The work looks a lot like he took pieces of clock(s) and put it in a pencil case and then soldered it together. Particularly since the kid is, again, 14. I'd be interested in seeing what kind of stuff he's doing in 2 years, the level of improvement. I know plenty of high schools these days have electronics clubs, but not too many Jr High's have them so it's entirely possible that this 9th grader is good with electronics while still being new to things like soldering. It's hard to say, but I think it's hugely premature to use the level of expertise that a 14 year old boy shows with a soldering iron to have anything to tell us about his motives. I honestly find the idea of that kind of ridiculous and similar to what conspiracy theorists do.

Plus, you know, it's not like he built the thing expecting hundreds of millions of people to go over with a fine tooth comb. He did this and then showed it to his teacher. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a proof of concept of some principle they'd talked about during class or at a club meeting or whatever. Or just doing the 21st century version of taking the microwave apart and putting it back together again.

edited to add,

I also don't think the clock even looks that bad. The only picture we have of it is, presumably, from the cops or school and is not going to be presented in a flattering way. Also, it looks like it's cobbled together from disparate pieces. Which it is. And then installed in some random box. Why should we expect it to look all fancy? Teal, are you saying it looks crude because you have electronics experience and thats your opinion or are you parroting someone?
                    Last edited by Jaecp; 09-25-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

The work looks a lot like he took pieces of clock(s) and put it in a pencil case and then soldered it together.
                      Actually, it looks like he took the components out of a clock and then put them as-is inside a pencil case. I don't think there's a single example of original work in his "invention".

Comment

That you act like the work of a 14 year old who is interested in electronics will look like crap
                        I know everything I've ever painted this year has been at the same level as my final project for a semesters long class

Everything.

Comment

• Everyone remember to correct your sons, daughters, nieces and nephews if they ever told you they drew a picture of you and you turn and see one of those glue and macaroni things.

Friggin liars. They didn't draw nothin

And then be irrationally suspicious about, just to maintain this little analogy.

Or is it a simile?

Damnit what am I hiding?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Actually, it looks like he took the components out of a clock and then put them as-is inside a pencil case. I don't think there's a single example of original work in his "invention".
                            Have you built something like this before? Just curious.
                            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                            -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I support the :
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                              @butting in

I haven't, but I had soldering classes in the Navy and... this kid is better than I was after that. Blech. I know it's important, but damn I could not wait to get back to other job duties :-/

Comment

• Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                                I do have some experience with soldering and making my own electronics projects.

Comment