Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    4) To what extent has his sister, Eyman, been involved in this?
    Mark Cuban, who actually spoke to Ahmed, said his sister was listening in telling him what to say.
    She claims she was suspended 3 years prior for allegedly saying she wanted to blow up the school. (Don't you think the school officials would be aware of that)
    Cuban is the one who reported that Ahmed showed the clock to several teachers, at least one of whom told him to keep it hidden because it looked suspicious. So it really sounds like he kept showing it around until he got the response he wanted.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Cuban is the one who reported that Ahmed showed the clock to several teachers, at least one of whom told him to keep it hidden because it looked suspicious. So it really sounds like he kept showing it around until he got the response he wanted.
      You were the one arguing that merely pointing out that the clock would be beeping, and not "buzzing" when it inadvertently went off in class was calling the teacher a liar or something to that effect. Then you were arguing that the kid knew the contents were suspicious-looking and that's why he had to keep it closed with a cable tie. Now you're arguing, via Cuban (who repeatedly caveats that he's getting his report on this second or third hand), that the kid was showing the clock around to all of his teachers until he got the reaction he wanted.

Any port in a storm, I suppose.
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

4) To what extent has his sister, Eyman, been involved in this?
        Mark Cuban, who actually spoke to Ahmed, said his sister was listening in telling him what to say.
        She claims she was suspended 3 years prior for allegedly saying she wanted to blow up the school. (Don't you think the school officials would be aware of that)
        Is Cuban the one that said that while interviewing Ahmed over the phone he could hear his sister feed him every reply which he repeated virtually verbatim?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Is Cuban the one that said that while interviewing Ahmed over the phone he could hear his sister feed him every reply which he repeated virtually verbatim?
          Yes, and Cuban appeared to support Ahmed - just couldn't understand why the sister was giving him all the answers to say on the phone.

On HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher on Friday, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban revealed he talked with Ahmed Mohamed, the Irving teen who was detained for bringing a clock to his high school that was mistaken for a bomb.

Cuban was impressed with the 'science geek' and 'great kid' in their discussion but noted an awkwardness to him.

"I talked to the kid," Cuban said. "He's from Dallas, and I've talked to the people in the school district. The kid is a super smart kid. Science geek. We talked about science, but while I'm talking to him on the phone, as I ask him a question, 'Tell me what happened because I'm curious.' Right? His sister, over his shoulder, you could hear, listening to the question, giving him the answer. So, I don't know all the details of what happened, but what I do know, when I talked to him about science, when I talked to him about magnets, when I talked to him about creating things, he was very, very engaged."

As the panel discussed whether Mohamed's arrest was related to his skin color or his faith, Cuban argued that many are missing a key point.

"All he had to do was engage with the teacher, and he didn't. That's the point that was missing," Cuban said. "It was wrong that he got arrested, but all that he had to do was talk to the teacher, but he didn't."
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
            Any port in a storm, I suppose.
            Has anybody else noticed that Sam seems to spend most of his time snarking and battling other posters rather than actually dealing with points being made?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Clarification... regarding the incident, yes, the sister was feeding the answers to Ahmed. The reason that Cuban thought this was strange, apparently, was because when Cuban asked about science, technology, magnets and other stuff, Ahmed seemed "very, very engaged". It sounds like Cuban was emphasizing that it was only "the incident" that Ahmed had a hard time answering, and his sister was feeding him answers.

Comment

You were the one arguing that merely pointing out that the clock would be beeping, and not "buzzing" when it inadvertently went off in class was calling the teacher a liar or something to that effect.
                I don't remember saying anything like that.

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Then you were arguing that the kid knew the contents were suspicious-looking and that's why he had to keep it closed with a cable tie.
                Um, that's based on the kid's own testimony, you moron. He knew the "clock" looked suspicious and thought that closing it with a cable instead of a latch would somehow make it look less suspicious.

Now you're arguing, via Cuban (who repeatedly caveats that he's getting his report on this second or third hand), that the kid was showing the clock around to all of his teachers until he got the reaction he wanted.
                Based on facts that continue to emerge, it certainly seems that way.
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-24-2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Has anybody else noticed that Sam seems to spend most of his time snarking and battling other posters rather than actually dealing with points being made?
                  No new points to engage. And as I've already had to deal with and demonstrate the insincerity of others' debate, it's appropriate to simply point out how they've argued contradictory points as "facts" throughout the thread without so much as correcting themselves as they go.

At some point you stop arguing and start preachin', as an old professor used to say.
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Now you're arguing, via Cuban (who repeatedly caveats that he's getting his report on this second or third hand),
                    No. In the interview with Maher to which we are referring (perhaps you're referring to something else?) Cuban NEVER said "second or third hand".

Why is it, Sam, that you are so willing to play fast and loose with the facts?

I can't post the link because idiot Maher drops the F bomb and other words we can't use here, but Cuban is CLEARLY saying he talked to Ahmed FIRST HAND, and he talked the teachers FIRST HAND, emphasizing that what they said was "second hand", which he mentioned 3 times in that interview. NEVER said "third hand".

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I don't remember saying anything like that.

Um, that's based on the kid's own testimony, you moron. He knew the "clock" looked suspicious and thought that closing it with a cable instead of a latch would somehow make it look less suspicious.

Based on facts that continue to emerge, it certainly seems that way.
                      Post #230 and #231. It was "ticking" rather than "buzzing" but the point remains the same.

By "facts", you now include hearsay via Mark Cuban, of course.

Comment

No. In the interview with Maher to which we are referring (perhaps you're referring to something else?) Cuban NEVER said "second or third hand".

Why is it, Sam, that you are so willing to play fast and loose with the facts?

I can't post the link because idiot Maher drops the F bomb and other words we can't use here, but Cuban is CLEARLY saying he talked to Ahmed FIRST HAND, and he talked the teachers FIRST HAND, emphasizing that what they said was "second hand", which he mentioned 3 times in that interview. NEVER said "third hand".
                        Watch the video, Cow Poke; Cuban caveats at least twice that I recall about hearing this from "people in Irving who work with people in the school". So Cuban is getting information at best second hand. Just because the person Cuban's source talked to work at MacArthur doesn't mean that he was a first-hand participant. So Cuban is relating a second or third hand account of the kid showing the clock to more than one teacher, as I said.

I know there's precious little shame can do at this low of a point but, I mean, come on. This is embarrassing.

Comment

Watch the video, Cow Poke;
                          I just did, several times, and carefully.

Cuban caveats at least twice that I recall about hearing this from "people in Irving who work with people in the school".
                          No, here's what he said...
                          "I talked to the kid," Cuban said. "He's from Dallas, and I've talked to the people in the school district.

He talked FIRST HAND to people in the school district, but their reports were, by his own admission, "second hand"

Why don't YOU watch the video again, Sam, cause your recollection stinks. Your CLAIM was... " Now you're arguing, via Cuban (who repeatedly caveats that he's getting his report on this second or third hand)"

Didn't happen.

This is embarrassing.
                          It really is, Sam, so try to stick with the facts.

Comment

Post #230 and #231. It was "ticking" rather than "buzzing" but the point remains the same.

By "facts", you now include hearsay via Mark Cuban, of course.
                            Here's the exact exchange:
                            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Another story describes the clock as making a ticking sound.

----------

(news.com.au) When the clock began ticking in class, an English teacher claimed it looked suspicious, prompting the principal and several police officers to question him, search his belongings and march him from the school in handcuffs.

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/...-1227530988060
                            Looking at the picture of the clock, would you say was "ticking"?
                            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            You're right, I'm sure the teacher was lying about that. No really.
                            So, yes, you did effectively accuse the teacher of lying. And a digital clock like that can make an odd ticking sound when running off of a back-up battery, especially if the battery is weak, in which case you often hear a loud clicking noise as the speaker powers on and off but is incapable of producing any actual sound, so the report is plausible.

Oh, and I see, you're one of those idiots who thinks hearsay means "weak evidence".
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-24-2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I just did, several times, and carefully.

No, here's what he said...
                              "I talked to the kid," Cuban said. "He's from Dallas, and I've talked to the people in the school district.

He talked FIRST HAND to people in the school district, but their reports were, by his own admission, "second hand"

Why don't YOU watch the video again, Sam, cause your recollection stinks. Your CLAIM was... " Now you're arguing, via Cuban (who repeatedly caveats that he's getting his report on this second or third hand)"

Didn't happen.

It really is, Sam, so try to stick with the facts.

Comment

• So, this preacher is in his garage looking at a bicycle that he's too old to ride anymore. He sees a kid pushing a lawn more down the street, and calls out to the kid, "hey, wanna trade that lawn mower for this bicycle??"

The kid agrees, and they make the swap.

Later that day, the preacher is in the yard with the lawnmower, sweat soaked, red faced, pulling on the rope to start the mower, but it keeps sputtering, and won't start.

The kid comes up the street riding on the bicycle, and the preacher calls him over. "Hey, kid, you traded this mower than won't even run"

The kid explains, "oh, it'll run just fine, preacher, you just have to give it a good cussin"

The preacher is stunned "I've been a preacher for over 40 years, I don't even REMEMBER any cuss words".

The kid gets on his bike, and starts off down the street, calling over his shoulder, "just keep pulling on that rope, preacher, the cussin will come!"

I'm beginning to feel that way talking to Sam. "Just keep talkin to Sam, preacher, the cussin' will come!"

Comment