Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

14-year-old Texas boy arrested for bringing homemade clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    wow

Some WAY more than others! This one is at the top.

translation -- this is yet another thing to which I will close my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears....

Who freakin cares? The KID said this himself. He volunteered that information, Sam, and it makes no sense whatsoever.

It's there in the video, Sam - the kid brought it up himself, and it's yet another part that is just really dumb. Like why on earth didn't the kid just answer the questions the officials were asking?

(perhaps because his sister wasn't there to feed him the answers? )*

*yes, I'm being facetious
    From all accounts, the kid did answer their questions. Just maybe not in the way they wanted. And if the questions were along the lines of "So you were trying to make a bomb?" I don't blame the kid for responding "It's a clock."

You're digging deep to find some way to blame the kid. Still. I mean, come on, Cow Poke. Realize that you're digging into off-the-cuff comments during some video interview. Of a 14 year-old kid.
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      From all accounts,
      (meaning the ones I accept as valid)

the kid did answer their questions. Just maybe not in the way they wanted.
      So, this brilliant kid who "invented" this clock was, what.. . incapable of understanding the questions?

And if the questions were along the lines of "So you were trying to make a bomb?" I don't blame the kid for responding "It's a clock."
      Well, yeah, if you purposely pervert the questioning to make it look like that's "the question" they asked, sure!

You're digging deep to find some way to blame the kid. Still.
      Nope. I'm just not sucked into believing him against all other facts and testimony.

I mean, come on, Cow Poke. Realize that you're digging into off-the-cuff comments during some video interview. Of a 14 year-old kid.
      I mean, come on, Sam, realize that you are so incredibly overcommitted to this that you can't possibly look at it objectively, because you have become a clocker*!

*yeah, facetious.
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-20-2015, 08:59 PM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

(meaning the ones I accept as valid)

So, this brilliant kid who "invented" this clock was, what.. . incapable of understanding the questions?

Well, yeah, if you purposely pervert the questioning to make it look like that's "the question" they asked, sure!

Nope. I'm just not sucked into believing him against all other facts and testimony.

I mean, come on, Sam, realize that you are so incredibly overcommitted to this that you can't possibly look at it objectively, because you have become a clocker*!

*yeah, facetious.

What other testimony are you referencing? The question I quoted came from the kid's testimony. How was that perverted and what evidence are you referencing in making that accusation?
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

What other testimony are you referencing?
          wow

The question I quoted came from the kid's testimony.
          EGGzackly - if the kid didn't say it, it ain't true.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

wow

EGGzackly - if the kid didn't say it, it ain't true.
            I missed the part where you offered up "all other facts and testimony" that rebutted the point made or showed how the questioning was being perverted.

Comment

I missed the part where you offered up "all other facts and testimony" that rebutted the point made or showed how the questioning was being perverted.
              You have consistently ignored anything and everything that doesn't fit your narrative, Sam, and only what the kid says matters. Have fun with that.

Comment

• Yeah, like that time the kid said he closed the pencil box with a cable. Damning.

Comment

Yeah, like that time the kid said he closed the pencil box with a cable. Damning.
                  Why are you being so goofy, Sam? That's just ONE PART in the overall saga. It's not "damning", and nobody said anything like that at all.

I'm done trying to reason with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    This was a point raised by the parents.
                    After doing a bit more research it does appear that the parents were aware. It seems that their son has been diagnosed as suffering from a particularly severe form of ADHD and when he forgets to take his medicine can be quite the hand full.

Still, having a bit of experience at having been suspended from school I can tell you from personal experience that if the action was the result of an accumulation of incidents or just one event that is recorded in the reasons for suspension.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                      Apparently Richard Dawkins agrees with those who say he did it purposefully.... that's kinda hilarious.
                      Maybe.

But it's not unexpected.

Fundy Atheists tend to agree with most of the developed world that Muslim terrorism needs stamped out.

Comment

• So...

what does anyone think would have happened if Ahmed had tried to carry his clock into White House? Would they have let him pass or detained him. Or if he took it to school the day that, let's say, the governor was visiting.
                        Last edited by rogue06; 09-21-2015, 04:29 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I think this is a classic case of a bunch of people jumping to conclusions and shooting off their mouths without having all the facts, then having to defend their positions at all costs.

"hook, line and sinker"

Comment

I think this is a classic case of a bunch of people jumping to conclusions and shooting off their mouths without having all the facts, then having to defend their positions at all costs.

"hook, line and sinker"
                            You haven't posted any facts that refute the initial and main story. So either this is referencing the tragically hilarious reaction from an increasing number of Conservatives or ...

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              So...

what does anyone think would have happened if Ahmed had tried to carry his clock into White House? Would they have let him pass or detained him. Or if he took it to school the day that, let's say, the governor was visiting.
                              If I built a 3D printer from scratch and tried to carry into the White House unannounced, I imagine I'd get a negative reaction. Is the point that any student bringing an electronics project to show his engineering teacher should be given the same scrutiny as if they were walking into the White House?

... 'cause that's a fairly ridiculous standard.

***And to be clear, I haven't seen many people arguing that the school should have taken no action. What the debate is about here is whether the school calling the police and the police arresting the kid was appropriate or, conversely, egregious.***

Comment

• I think the point, now, is too see how many side issues, weird comparisons and claims of "I'm done with you, Sam" we can get to before people stop trying to defend the indefensible simply because, for some reason, a 14 year old nerd being arrested for bringing a project to school isn't something that conservatives can get the outrage machine behind when the kids brown

Comment