Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Being Black in America.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The following research concerning the 'inequalities in the Nation' education systems reflects the problem of the "Black Community as a whole," and not the personal anecdotal claims of one persons experiences.
    Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    There's no such thing. Just as there is no such thing as the perspective of the White community as whole.
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    True. So what?
    Eh?
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Eh?
      That's just shuny being shuny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Eh?
        Yes, there is perspective of the Black Community as a whole when the surveys and statistics include the whole country, and not selective references and personal anecdotal claims. True, personal anecdotal claims of experiences do not reflect the "Black Community" as a whole.

Waiting for meaningful responses to the posts of the surveys, data and statistics. I also include testimonies from Blacks and sources that reflect the experiences of Blacks in different parts of the country.

so far, those who have objected to the references have not provided sources or references themselves to provide a coherent counter argument.

One miscue on my part is that I meant to refer to 'personal anecdotal claims' not reflecting the "Black nor the White Community" as a whole. I apologize and I am correcting the previous post.

Still waiting . . .
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-02-2015, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Yes, there is perspective of the Black Community as a whole when the surveys and statistics include the whole country, and not selective references and personal anecdotal claims. True, personal anecdotal claims of experiences do not reflect the "Black Community" as a whole.
          That's called the fallacy of Appeal to Popularity. Just because someone, or a group, hold a perspective, doesn't make the perception true.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            That's called the fallacy of Appeal to Popularity. Just because someone, or a group, hold a perspective, doesn't make the perception true.
            No it is not the fallacy of the Appeal to Popularity. I have not cited polls concerning who thanks this data and statistics are true, nor have I made any claims that these views are remotely popular. The facts are more embarrassing than popular.

My references on the research are not opinions of someone or a group. There are actual data and statistics on the racial inequality in the USA involving Law Enforcement, the Justice system and the Education Systems. I have also included testimony of Blacks all over the country and I will cite more. These references I cite from individuals are support for the argument, and not the basis for the argument. The basis for the argument are the actual numbers, statistics, government records and body count.

The government report on the inequalities in the education systems in the USA is based on actual hard numbers, not opinions nor popularity polls.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-02-2015, 05:55 PM.

Comment

No it is not the fallacy of the Appeal to Popularity. I have not cited polls concerning who thanks this data and statistics are true, nor have I made any claims that these views are remotely popular. The facts are more embarrassing than popular.

My references on the research are not opinions of someone or a group. There are actual data and statistics on the racial inequality in the USA involving Law Enforcement, the Justice system and the Education Systems. I have also included testimony of Blacks all over the country and I will cite more. These references I cite from individuals are support for the argument, and not the basis for the argument. The basis for the argument are the actual numbers, statistics, government records and body count.
              Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              perspective of the Black community as whole like I have done.
              I don't believe you know what you're talking about anymore.
              "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
              "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
              Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Obvious as Carolina blue sky at noon on a clear day on the 4th of July. Everybody has different life experiences. So what!?!?!?!

Other than the color of your skin, I have reason to believe your life experiences are in common with the dominant problem of inequality of Blacks in Law Enforcement and Justice. What I need is for you to provide references of facts and descriptions from the perspective of the Black community as whole like I have done. Anecdotal claims like yours carry no weight so far as convincing evidence.
                No need to attempt to stereotype me.
                But no I've never had trouble with law enforcement, and the last time I met an officer the issue was resolved without conflict.
                "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

• Citing crappy stats and even worse studies doesn't make you right. Dismissing every objection out of hand is not only high handed but fallacious (hand waving).

A high school grad ate your lunch on external validity - I doubt he knew the term but he nailed the concept when you were still trying to figure out how to use the calculator. CitinFa
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    Considering the stuff that article is whining
                    It seems to be her genuinely-held belief, and even CP has said that he doesn't think people who are expressing genuinely-held beliefs should be characterized as whining.

about has happened to many people and groups have gone though?
                    Technically, that you may have been viewed suspiciously for a non-racial reason doesn't mean that the reason some black folks were viewed suspiciously was also non-racial. I'm not claiming to know the reasons for certain, just pointing out that your response is logically fallacious.

Also, you realize that her essay covered FAR more ground than just those anecdotes? It also contained references to a Chris Rock quote that I find interesting, and one I was hoping people would discuss.
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                      They can say whatever they want,but we haven't had the same life experiences.
                      Others were saying that shuny, as a white man, couldn't tell you, a black man, what being black in America entails. On his own, sure. But shuny IS citing what other people who are black are saying that being black in America entails. I have no problem believing that the meaning of blackness in America is complex and multifaceted, and that different black people may disagree. But I think it's perfectly fair for him to direct the discussion on what a sizable portion of the black American community says it means.
                      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

• Anyone else think it's wrong that ten pages in we have run out at least one of the African-American participants... Of course he may just have been bored to death...
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• I wonder if poverty is a factor with the cop issues?
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• I have to wonder how much of these racial issues are caused by the lasting effects of so-called white flight and the resulting semi-segregated cities. The basic idea behind white flight is that back in the 1950s and 60s, when institutionalized racism and severe racial economic inequality were common, many middle-class whites took advantage of the automobile and relatively inexpensive housing to move to the suburbs. However, large populations of blacks (and some whites) were unable to leave, and many cities lost a significant portion of their tax base. Thus, funding for schools and policing were reduced, making cities dangerous and making it hard to succeed (it's hard to get a good job with a bad education). So, you can wind up with a middle/upper middle class suburban largely white population and a poor urban largely black population caused by past racism, and if white people are in general richer than black people for that reason, it makes it easier for people to continue to be racist.

As a basic reference, here's what Wikipedia has to say on the issue:
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_decay
                            Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Originally posted by themuzicman View Post
                              4) Blacks by and large continue to vote against their own interests by continuing to vote Democrat, the party that opposed ending slavery, passed Jim Crow laws, opposed the CRA and VRA, passed welfare which destroyed the black family, and continues to destroy the inner cities where poor blacks are attempting to thrive.
                              5) No one is telling blacks that they have to stay here. (Indeed, I have proposed "reparations" for descendants of slaves in the form of a C-130 plane ride to their homeland with any belongings they can carry, provided they obtain citizenship in said homeland.)

So, while the sentiment is nice, time has passed.
                              I have two things to say about this post.
                              1) The Democratic Party was once the more racist party, but that doesn't necessarily mean it still is. Most Democrats today seem to be glad the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act Passed. Welfare may be detrimental (I've heard people say it's good and it's bad; I don't really know), but I am unaware of a better solution. Do you have one?
                              2) American blacks are (afaik) generally richer and overall in a more enjoyable state of living than African blacks. I think most blacks who have a problem with racism want to instead be as well off as the average American white person.
                              Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                                Others were saying that shuny, as a white man, couldn't tell you, a black man, what being black in America entails. On his own, sure. But shuny IS citing what other people who are black are saying that being black in America entails. I have no problem believing that the meaning of blackness in America is complex and multifaceted, and that different black people may disagree. But I think it's perfectly fair for him to direct the discussion on what a sizable portion of the black American community says it means.
                                I have no problem with that as long as his "reasons" to stereotype are kept at 0.

Comment