Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Was Thomas Jefferson a Deist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    No Shuny, you are just seeing what you want to see. Jefferson could as well been speaking of Priestley's Unitarianism (which is mentioned in the letter). But again, Shuny, what really is the difference between Deism and Theism if as Jefferson believed, God acted in human history?
    Jefferson was specific in his letter, he shared Priestley's beliefs.

Jefferson specifically rejected Revelation form God (Theism). He acknowledged God as the Creator of our physical existence., as did many , but not all. other Deists of the time. Simply God having responsibility and acting in human history does not make one a Theist. Jefferson and other Deists believed the morals, ethics, and human laws had rational human basis, not a Divine source as commandments from God.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theism

Theism - noun 1. the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation (distinguished from deism ).

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-12-2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

You can be a theist without beliving in revelation from God. That doesn't make you a deist.

Edit:

You had originally said: "Theists believe in personal Revelation with Christ as the Son of God."

By that reasoning Islam and Judaism are not Theistic. Now you say are they are.
      Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 07-12-2015, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Jefferson was specific in his letter, he shared Priestley's beliefs.

Jefferson specifically rejected Revelation form God (Theism). He acknowledged God as the Creator of our physical existence., as did many , but not all. other Deists of the time. Simply God having responsibility and acting in human history does not make one a Theist. Jefferson and other Deists believed the morals, ethics, and human laws had rational human basis, not a Divine source as commandments from God.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theism

Theism - noun 1. the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation (distinguished from deism ).

© Copyright Original Source

I agree that Jefferson rejected that kind of theism. Can you show me any Deism of that time that believed that God monkeyed in human affairs, like Jefferson believed?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
          You can be a theist without beliving in revelation from God. That doesn't make you a deist.

Edit:

You had originally said: "Theists believe in personal Revelation with Christ as the Son of God."

By that reasoning Islam and Judaism are not Theistic. Now you say are they are.
          I was referring to Christian Theist, because that would be the choose Jefferson would have. There is no indication that he believed in Judaism, Islam or any other form of theism

Comment

I was referring to Christian Theist, because that would be the choose Jefferson would have. There is no indication that he believed in Judaism, Islam or any other form of theism
            Can you show me any Deism of that time that believed that God monkeyed in human affairs, like Jefferson believed?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I agree that Jefferson rejected that kind of theism. Can you show me any Deism of that time that believed that God monkeyed in human affairs, like Jefferson believed?
              Read the definition again. That is the definition of Theism. If you reject Revelation from God, you are a Deist. By that definition Jefferson was not a Theist. In my previous reference it was noted that Deism was not strictly defined at that. There were certain beliefs that were generally accepted by Deist/Unitarians. It was basically believed that the Trinity, Revelation from God were rejected. The morals, ethics and Laws were human inspired and not Divinely Revealed by God. Most Deists of the time believed there was a God who created our existence, and even some justified it by 'Design.'

Comment

Read the definition again. That is the definition of Theism. If you reject Revelation from God, you are a Deist. By that definition Jefferson was not a Theist. In my previous reference it was noted that Deism was not strictly defined at that. There were certain beliefs that were generally accepted by Deist/Unitarians. It was basically believed that the Trinity, Revelation from God were rejected. The morals, ethics and Laws were human inspired and not Divinely Revealed by God. Most Deists of the time believed there was a God who created our existence, and even some justified it by 'Design.'
                Which reference Shuny? So again, can you show me any Deist of that time that believed God interacted in human affairs?

Comment

Which reference Shuny? So again, can you show me any Deist of that time that believed God interacted in human affairs?
                  That is not what I said seer. It is indifferent to the belief of Deism whether God interacts with Creation. Deists believe God Created the physical existence.

The major point is by definition of Theism cited specifically defines Theism as believing God and Revelation. If one does not believe in Revelation, one is a Deist.

Thomas Jefferson specifically stated he believed in Priestley's philosophy, and that is Deism and Unitarianism, which rejects Revelation form God.

Comment

That is not what I said seer. It is indifferent to the belief of Deism whether God interacts with Creation. Deists believe God Created the physical existence.

The major point is by definition of Theism cited specifically defines Theism as believing God and Revelation. If one does not believe in Revelation, one is a Deist.

Thomas Jefferson specifically stated he believed in Priestley's philosophy, and that is Deism and Unitarianism, which rejects Revelation form God.
                    Nonsense Shuny, in the letter Jefferson specifically referenced Priestley's Unitarianism, but nothing about his Deism. So again, can you show me any Deist of that time that believed God interacted in human affairs?

Comment

A definition of Deism, notice the bolded part:

"A religious belief holding that God created the universe and established rationally comprehensible moral and natural laws but does not intervene in human affairs through miracles or supernatural revelation."

Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/deism

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                        A definition of Deism, notice the bolded part:

"A religious belief holding that God created the universe and established rationally comprehensible moral and natural laws but does not intervene in human affairs through miracles or supernatural revelation."

Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/deism
                        My definition works. This was more than 200 years ago. The Deists of the time believed as I described and Priestley preached. To some the definition is different. None the less my definition works and is a good source. 200 years ago Priestley, Jefferson, Thomas Paine and others were considered Deists and Unitarians by the Definition of the time and the present one I gave.

If you believe God Created the universe as God wanted it in the design God, therefore God interacts with God's Creation is a given.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-12-2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

My definition works. This was more than 200 years ago. The Deists of the time believed as I described and Priestley preached. To some the definition is different. None the less my definition works and is a good source. 200 years ago Priestley, Jefferson, Thomas Paine and others were considered Deists and Unitarians by the Definition of the time and the present one I gave.

If you believe God Created the universe as God wanted it in the design God, therefore God interacts with God's Creation is a given.
                          Shuny, I'm still waiting for references from that time that showed that Deism could include a God that intervenes in human history, not just winds it up and let's it go.

Comment

I can't believe I'm doing this.

Theism) belief in at least one deity: Includes Monotheism, Polytheism, Deism, pantheism, Panentheism, Panendeism, and some forms of Agnosticism.

Atheism) lack of belief in a deity. Includes Humanists, most Agnostics, Buddhists, some Hindus, and Anti-Theists.

Jefferson was an Irreligious Theist.

Comment

Shuny, I'm still waiting for references from that time that showed that Deism could include a God that intervenes in human history, not just winds it up and let's it go.
                              At the time, even deists believed god created earths life forms.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                                At the time, even deists believed god created earths life forms.
                                Did they believe that God interfered in human history to judge people for immoral behavior?

Comment