Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS Rules 5-4 for Gay Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Moderated By: Bill the Cat

Can we take the off topic stuff to another thread please?

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Originally posted by Rational Gaze View Post
    Markan priority is no longer a consensus. It's still held by the majority of scholars. It's just not near unanimous anymore. Moreover, the opposition to Markan priority is much larger.
    So you're using 'scholarly consensus' to mean 'near unanimous'. I do not agree that the scholarly consensus for Markan priority is dwindling. For example, how many members of SNTS can you name that oppose Markan priority? Has that number grown?

Leave a comment:

• Rational Gaze
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Do you claim that there is no longer a consensus or that there is now a new consensus opposed to Markan priority?
    Markan priority is no longer a consensus. It's still held by the majority of scholars. It's just not near unanimous anymore. Moreover, the opposition to Markan priority is much larger.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Nope.
    Do you claim that there is no longer a consensus or that there is now a new consensus opposed to Markan priority?

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    The Gospels as Oral Traditional Literature, from William Walker, ed., The Relationships Among the Gospels: An Interdisciplinary Dialogue, Trinity University Press, (1978), p42.)

It is also noted that authors rewrote material in their own style, and whilst some preferred elegance others preferred colloquial speech. (E. P. Sanders, and Margaret Davies, Studying the Synoptic Gospels, Sheffield Academic Press, (2002), p284, 337-338)

William Farmer has written many books arguing in favour of Matthean priority. Other scholars who argue against Markan priority include: Bo Reicke, B. C. Butler, D. J. Chapman, Eta Linnemann, Hans-Herbert Stoldt, and John Rist. Linnemann in particular noted that in a sample of 35 pericopes, only 22.17% of the words are identical among all three synoptic Gospels. (Eta Linnemann, Is There A Synoptic Problem?The Roots of the Synoptic Gospels, Fortress, (1986), p46-47)

Other problems include the fact that 1st century AD Palestine was an oral culture where writing desks did not exist yet. In such an oral culture, works would have been produced from memory and on notes. In fact, note taking was extremely prevalent in the ancient world. (George Kennedy, Classical and Christian Source Criticism from William Walker, ed., The Relationships Among the Gospels: An Interdisciplinary Dialogue, Trinity University Press, (1978), p131)
    None of this is evidence that Markan priority is incorrect, though it is true that some arguments used (or attributed in an overly simplistic manner) in favor of Markan priority are weaker than others. For example, there are numerous obvious 'improvements' of Mark's Greek by Matthew and Luke, but this need not be taken to deny that Mark indeed has his own very effective style and used a well thought out plan in composing his gospel.

Leave a comment:

• Rational Gaze
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    Are you using the term consensus to mean 100% agreement???
    Nope.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Yeah, just too bad it isn't the consensus any more. Markan priority still has supporters in academia despite no longer being consensus. Your inability to think isn't our problem, chump.
    Are you using the term consensus to mean 100% agreement???

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Yes, I know of the Farmer and Goodacre alternatives, and the potential issues with Markan priority, but surely it's still the majority held view, isn't it? Even Goodacre seems to think that the two source solution will remain dominant for some while.
    Yes, of course it is still the consensus. The number and stature of those who dispute it has not called this into question.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Just to be clear, are you asserting that Markan priority is not the majority held position among academics anymore, or that the relationship between the three synoptics is no longer in question? From my reading, outside of Goodacre and a few others, Markan priority is still assumed.
    Last time I spoke with Goodacre, he did not deny Markan priority, 'though of course he does favor the Farrer solution to the synoptic problem.

Leave a comment:

• RumTumTugger
    replied
    Ah, the irony.
    you expected any different Starlight can't seem to stop looking at his mirror so he keeps falsely accusing his opponent of what he is guilty of par for the course with Starlight and his ilk because they have not real arguments scholastically or otherwise just their assertions that their world view is the correct one. the problem is RG you are trying to confuse Dimbulb with the true scholarship and facts he does now want anythign to do with the TRUTH or facts.

Leave a comment:

• RumTumTugger
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    this is all just a game to you me and You'reI'm not actually interested in knowledge and simply pretend to find fault with any sources outside your my bubble. Your My rhetorical strategy is just to deny deny deny deny and assert that any and every source that would actually supply knowledge of any kind is untrustworthy since it does not agree with my world view due to being too liberal or too old or both.
    FIFY glad to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Looks like we gots us another derail thread in the making.
    Eh, I don't think it's a big enough deal for a derail. If I'm re-reading RG correctly he's not exactly denying that Markan Priority is still the majority view, just that people are reexamining and questioning it.

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    Ah, the irony.

In other words, you don't actually know what inerrancy is.

You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

Yeah, just too bad it isn't the consensus any more. Markan priority still has supporters in academia despite no longer being consensus. Your inability to think isn't our problem, chump.
    You're going way over his little head RG. You're wasting your time because I'm running into the conclusion that he just glances (if that) at what his opponents actually believes and therefore makes very bad arguments against his opponents because he really doesn't know what they say or believe.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Looks like we gots us another derail thread in the making.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I'm fairly certain that, while Goodacre does not accept Q, he does accept Markan priority.
    True. I was thinking more in terms of the widely accepted two source solution.

Leave a comment: