Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lowering the Confederate Flag - and Wally World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    On a related note, I remember when I was an early teen, I used to play Arab/Israeli Wars and Panzer Leader/Panzer Blitz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab-Israeli_Wars_(game)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_Leader_(game)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PanzerBlitz
    I never once lost playing Panzer Blitz as a kid -- although many of my victories were "moral victories."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Then you know that the "state's right" argument is, at best, a thin veneer for the Confederacy's reason for secession: preserving the institution of slavery.
      No, not a thin veneer at all -- it was a question of whether the federal government could overrule in the affairs of states. As bad as the justification was by the South (keeping of slaves) it was still a matter of states' rights.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Every Saturday Morning, we used to watch (after the cartoons) The Gallant Men, Combat, McHale's Navy, 12 O'clock High, Hogan's Heroes.....

And we played "war" in the corn fields behind our house, and SOMEBODY had to be the Nazis.
        Don't remember The Gallant Men but one we never missed was The Rat Patrol

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

And, yeah, Rat Patrol was cool!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            The Democratic Party is not a symbol of slavery. The Democratic Party of 19th century supported slavery and racism. This began to change in the course of political change in the twentieth century. The full turn around came in the 190s and 60s when the Democrats of the South (Dixiecrats) became predominately Republican in response to the voting rights, and racial equality legislation of that time.
            The 1950s and 60s wasn't when things started turning around. That was when Southern Democrats were still conducting filibusters to block Civil Rights legislation. You only started seeing real change around the early 80s as a new generation came along. Very few of the old hard-line racist Democrats from the previous decades changed their party affiliation. They were the last of the true "yellow dog Democrats."

Comment

And who can't like a grenade that you activate by tapping on something, THEN throwing! (Better than requiring the use of both hands)
              And the design generally allowed for being able to throw further especially if the person was in a ditch or something like that.

Comment

And the design generally allowed for being able to throw further especially if the person was in a ditch or something like that.
                Yup - got a little wrist action going on there, and I think range AND accuracy are better than throwing a "pineapple".

Comment

I don't remember The Gallant Men at all. 12 O'clock High was by far my favorite. I used to leave the Y dances early just to watch it. I can't tell you how many B17 models I built over the years (of course it was just as much fun blowing them up with M80s).
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    I don't remember The Gallant Men at all. 12 O'clock High was by far my favorite. I used to leave the Y dances early just to watch it. I can't tell you how many B17 models I built over the years (of course it was just as much fun blowing them up with M80s).
                    I built the models, then made them "realistic" by burning bullet holes and stuff in them with a magnifying glass in the hot Texas sun.

Comment

No, not a thin veneer at all -- it was a question of whether the federal government could overrule in the affairs of states. As bad as the justification was by the South (keeping of slaves) it was still a matter of states' rights.
                      The principle being preserved, the one over which states were willing to secede and Confederates to die, was the preservation of slavery. Calling it "state's rights" instead of "the right of the states to preserve the institution of slavery" is hiding behind generalities.

The "War of Northern Aggression" was fought because the Confederate states feared that the Union would abolish slavery. Anyone supporting the Confederacy or "Southern heritage" in this context needs to explicitly own that fact.
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I built the models, then made them "realistic" by burning bullet holes and stuff in them with a magnifying glass in the hot Texas sun.
                        Hehehe, I used to heat up safety pins to do the same thing - great minds think alike!
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          The principle being preserved, the one over which states were willing to secede and Confederates to die, was the preservation of slavery. Calling it "state's rights" instead of "the right of the states to preserve the institution of slavery" is hiding behind generalities.

The "War of Northern Aggression" was fought because the Confederate states feared that the Union would abolish slavery. Anyone supporting the Confederacy or "Southern heritage" in this context needs to explicitly own that fact.
                          Spoken just like a damyankee.

Comment

Spoken just like a damyankee.
                            What was specifically wrong with his argument?
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Hehehe, I used to heat up safety pins to do the same thing - great minds think alike!
                              Yeah, I found that method gives you much greater control, but the magnifying glass method was fun. And if you wanted an "engine on fire" effect, you could always hold that part over a candle and get the "smudge factor".

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                What was specifically wrong with his argument?
                                Relax, KG - I know this is an argument I can never win. History is written by the victors.

Comment