Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ireland recovering from Theocracy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    How do you imagine this"golden age" might come about?
    He must have seen the movie "Tomorrowland" this week end. Liberal utopia...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      He must have seen the movie "Tomorrowland" this week end. Liberal utopia...
      Walt Disney: Super-Liberal
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        No, enlightened, i.e. tolerant and accepting as opposed to bigoted and judgemental.
        Tolerant and accepting of perversion... but just as bigoted and judgmental of those who have a different opinion.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          No, enlightened, i.e. tolerant and accepting as opposed to bigoted and judgemental.
          Yeah, liberals always want tolerance and acceptance, except when they're in charge - like at universities, democratically controlled cities, or concerning things like religious liberty.....
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            ...we have sufficient empirical evidence....
            I love it when you make this claim, Sam. I just can't understand why these guys continue to argue with you after that!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I love it when you make this claim, Sam. I just can't understand why these guys continue to argue with you after that!
              I have spent many hours (weeks, even) describing the various studies to folks on this board, including you. If the Crash hadn't taken it all, I'd link back to 'em. To date, you haven't provided anything empirical to back your claims. I'm sitting on past work, true enough, but you're sitting on no work.
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I have spent many hours (weeks, even) describing the various studies to folks on this board, including you.
                Well, not so much me, cause I'm only kinda sorta paying attention.

If the Crash hadn't taken it all, I'd link back to 'em.
                Cool.

To date, you haven't provided anything empirical to back your claims.
                Ummmmm... what claims am I making?

I'm sitting on past work, true enough, but you're sitting on no work.
                Sam, calm yourself.... I'm just amused by your claim of "sufficient empirical evidence". If it were, indeed, sufficient.....

It kinda reminds me of the preacher who wrote in the margin of his sermon manuscript "weak point - yell louder".

Comment

Well, not so much me, cause I'm only kinda sorta paying attention.

Cool.

Ummmmm... what claims am I making?

Sam, calm yourself.... I'm just amused by your claim of "sufficient empirical evidence". If it were, indeed, sufficient.....

It kinda reminds me of the preacher who wrote in the margin of his sermon manuscript "weak point - yell louder".
                  My point was that I have, on this board and in threads where you (and a good number of current posters here) were an active participant, giving me some liberty in alluding to sufficient empirical evidence. Rather than being a "weak point," it's a point that I've strongly supported. No need to go through the trouble again unless there's a compelling need and an earnest audience.

Comment

My point was that I have, on this board and in threads where you (and a good number of current posters here) were an active participant, giving me some liberty in alluding to sufficient empirical evidence. Rather than being a "weak point," it's a point that I've strongly supported. No need to go through the trouble again unless there's a compelling need and an earnest audience.

You really need to get a life, brother.

Comment

You really need to get a life, brother.
                      Hey, I ain't the guy randomly snarking at posts on the Internet ...

Comment

Hey, I ain't the guy randomly snarking at posts on the Internet ...
                        And I ain't the guy using up half of the internet's entire search capability all by my lonesome.

But you do amuse me, so....

Comment

Are we there yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                            That's your belief and you're entitled to it, but some of us have different view-points. As long as nobody is being harmed I have no issue with a legal institutions definition changing.
                            Different points of view still don't take care of the reality that children seem to do best, when they have a mom and dad, in a good relationship. The fact of the matter is that there's much out there that seems to show that if you want your children to have the best start in life, having a mom and dad in a decent family seems to be the best for the children involved.

You can still practice your beliefs and peacefully co-exist with gay marriage.
                            Like I have much of a choice in the matter.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I was making a general point, as I assume you were when you wrote that hatred of gay people isn't the driving force behind opposition of same-sex marriage for many people. We were both making general statements.
                              Ok, so far so good.

Mutual edification, chastity, economic security, desire to rear children, etc. Marriage need not have a sole or even primary goal.
                              Which all of these goals can be done, without being married (believe it or not). You don't even really need a boyfriend/girlfriend to make two of them possible.

But for those who see marriage as principally about the family unit (i.e., spouses + children), we have sufficient empirical evidence showing that children of same-sex couples are developmentally similar to children of opposite-sex couples. It is unlikely, then, that any strong arguments against same-sex marriage can be made on the basis of the family unit.
                              Depending on what study you read. I've seen several articles, by the children of same sex couples, who say otherwise. What do they know though? They disagree with Sam so naturally, they have to be wrong.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Enlightenment does not have a paradigm to agree with.
                                So I should stop hearing the snide comments against anything you disagree with, from now on. Right?
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment