Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cameron is Watching You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    This sounds like No True Scotsman to me. The horseshoe theory would explain that liberal and conservative extremists would both advocate censorship, which looks to be the case if one re-examines the history of censorship is both totalitarian and communist regimes.
    True, both are part of the establishment for the most part. Every once in awhile you have a single conservative speaking out against the bail-outs, or against the Patriot Act, or against the NSA, or against gun control, etc. But, yes, you are correct that both parties are tied into the establishment that mainly serves corporate interests. The security apparatus is a huge corporate profit bonanza as is military corporatism.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      Culturally I think there is a huge difference between the British Europeans and so on and Americans. There has always been a stronger censorship to a point even during religious wars one side may censor the other or when the monarchy has been overthrown e.g. Cromwell Reign of Terror Hitler etc. Censorship has been a part of the punishment. It makes complete sense that Cameron would suppress ideas of terrorism from the media. Hopefully this also means the British intelligence is still smart enough to get them underground too. A word. Free speech doesn't give you the right to yell fire in a crowded theater and another abuse is when its used to plot to destroy innocent lives.
      It does if there really is a fire

Well, my job as Mr. Pedantic is done for the day

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

11219669_10152850440293837_2303097065465222783_n.jpg
        My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          True US conservatism is what liberalism used to be in the 18th century.
          Which was radically innovative. This, of course, implies that the radically innovating of the contemporary progressives fits in nicely.

Comment