Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cameron is Watching You

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cameron is Watching You

    Introducing the powers, Cameron will say: "For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone.”
    The package of powers was first proposed in March, but were vetoed by the Liberal Democrats on the grounds of free speech. But after being re-proposed in the Liberal Democrat manifesto, David Cameron is expected to use the new Conservative majority to push them through.

    The plans would allow the police to ask the higher court to order extremists to be banned from broadcasting and send every tweet, Facebook post or other web communication to the police for approval. That would include posts from users telling friends and followers that their communications were now being vetted, or ones denying the extremism claims that led to them being charged under such measures.

    Ofcom is also expected to be given new powers that will allow it to take stronger actions on the channels that it regulates. That includes telecommunications firms as well as its more conventional role of regulating TV and other broadcasts.

    As well as the online bans, the plans would see groups being banned from using hate speech in public spaces, even if their behaviour does not mean that they should be banned altogether.
    But really, it's only to be expected.

  • #2
    Source?
    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

    Comment


    • #3
      The Independent.

      Comment


      • #4
        http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32714802

        Based on a search of the phrase in the first quote I found the above link.
        Last edited by Premo316; 05-16-2015, 02:53 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Premo316 View Post
          http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32714802

          Based on a search of the phrase in the first quote I found the above link.
          Hey, at least they're being completely open about destroying free speech

          Comment


          • #6
            These are supposed to be conservatives? Damn, and I thought US was getting bad with the liberals.
            "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

            Comment


            • #7
              Isn't the U.S. Patriot act also an assault on free speech similarly a conservative project?

              Comment


              • #8
                Establishment Republicans (with emphasis on neoconservatives) aren't conservative.
                "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  Establishment Republicans (with emphasis on neoconservatives) aren't conservative.
                  Some people keep saying that but they look conservative to me. Also, here in Australia, our conservative government is passing huge data retention laws.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                    Some people keep saying that but they look conservative to me. Also, here in Australia, our conservative government is passing huge data retention laws.
                    Conservatism in the US rests on traditional values, thus upholds the Constitution. It doesn't get so flustered with fear against enemy threats that it's willing to compromise the laws of the land. True US conservatism is what liberalism used to be in the 18th century.
                    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Culturally I think there is a huge difference between the British Europeans and so on and Americans. There has always been a stronger censorship to a point even during religious wars one side may censor the other or when the monarchy has been overthrown e.g. Cromwell Reign of Terror Hitler etc. Censorship has been a part of the punishment. It makes complete sense that Cameron would suppress ideas of terrorism from the media. Hopefully this also means the British intelligence is still smart enough to get them underground too. A word. Free speech doesn't give you the right to yell fire in a crowded theater and another abuse is when its used to plot to destroy innocent lives.
                      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                      George Bernard Shaw

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                        Culturally I think there is a huge difference between the British Europeans and so on and Americans. There has always been a stronger censorship to a point even during religious wars one side may censor the other or when the monarchy has been overthrown e.g. Cromwell Reign of Terror Hitler etc. Censorship has been a part of the punishment. It makes complete sense that Cameron would suppress ideas of terrorism from the media. Hopefully this also means the British intelligence is still smart enough to get them underground too. A word. Free speech doesn't give you the right to yell fire in a crowded theater and another abuse is when its used to plot to destroy innocent lives.
                        They don't say just "terrorism" (which has become a subjective and ambiguous term in and of itself). The way they're speaking, it's far reaching than that. You might want to read up on the subject first. From the BBC source linked in this thread...

                        Theresa May told BBC Radio 4 Today the government wants to "bring people together to ensure we are living together as one society".

                        She said: "What we are proposing is a bill which will have certain measures within it, measures such as introducing banning orders for groups and disruption orders for individuals, for those who are out there actively trying to promote this hatred and intolerance which can lead to division in our society and undermines our British values.

                        "But it will be part of a bigger picture , a strategy which will also have as a key part of it actually promoting our British values, our values of democracy, rule of law, tolerance and acceptance of different faiths."

                        The measures, she added, will focus on "extremism of all sorts... that is seeking to promote hatred, that is seeking to divide our society, that is seeking to undermine the very values that make us a great country to live in".
                        This sounds like totalitarian neoliberalism here in the US.
                        "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think the thinking is to stop things like this, where the hate preachers and far Right get into brawls, happening http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-10172641.html .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by seanD View Post

                            This sounds like totalitarian neoliberalism here in the US.
                            Yep any new laws here will likely be abused by people for their own purposes and I am sure it will be the liberal left who do so as they love to censor and silence those who disagree with them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              Conservatism in the US rests on traditional values, thus upholds the Constitution. It doesn't get so flustered with fear against enemy threats that it's willing to compromise the laws of the land. True US conservatism is what liberalism used to be in the 18th century.
                              This sounds like No True Scotsman to me. The horseshoe theory would explain that liberal and conservative extremists would both advocate censorship, which looks to be the case if one re-examines the history of censorship is both totalitarian and communist regimes.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by mikewhitney, Today, 08:39 PM
                              0 responses
                              5 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post mikewhitney  
                              Started by Darfius, Today, 02:11 PM
                              3 responses
                              44 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Today, 02:06 PM
                              15 responses
                              60 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by rogue06, Yesterday, 09:13 AM
                              18 responses
                              139 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, 11-29-2020, 09:32 AM
                              27 responses
                              184 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Electric Skeptic  
                              Working...
                              X