Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Boston. Bomber Sentenced to Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    True...celebrating one's death under those circumstances would be poor form, unless he repents? There have been some who, having converted, still accepted their deaths. I have no problem with that...but I wouldn't celebrate; I say it's a matter of God's will be done.
    I do hope to see repentance too, but it is important to remember that there is nothing wrong with justice being served (when you do a violent act; the reality is you might end up an victim of violence yourself). We need to be careful though not to see this as a moment of vengeance.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

True...celebrating one's death under those circumstances would be poor form, unless he repents?
      There's nothing with rejoicing that justice is done (eg. Rev 18:20).

But back to the topic: coming from a society where death penalty for murder is the norm, opposition to the death penalty still remains something curious and alien. After all,

Show no pity. You must purge from Israel the guilt of shedding innocent blood, so that it may go well with you.

Pity should not stand in the way of necessary justice.

Comment

The victims asking for the life imprisonment were concerned they would have to relive the trauma through all the appeals. I do sympathize wit this. Personally I don't mind one or two appeals - after all, we are talking about death - but that's not what happens in most of our death penalty verdicts. And let's not talk about the expenses borne by the taxpayers during all those appeals. Is this true justice?
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Is this true justice?
          No, it's not true justice when the legal process is so needlessly complicated, but that's the fault of those who instituted it and those that don't want to do anything about it.

But that's life: very often there is no choice that will magically make the situation good; there is only the choice between lesser and greater evil.

Frankly, appeals are rather ridiculous given the admission that he did the act, but your law is yours.
          Last edited by Paprika; 05-16-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

He did plead guilty. That may limit his options.

Comment

He did plead guilty. That may limit his options.
              I'm going to go with 'life for life OT-style stoning will be much more efficient'.

Comment

Which they did AFTER witness testimony before judges, per Moses, in a society very different from ours. In NT times the concept of the death penalty was still around, but as I recall someone here on TWeb pointing out, Paul addressed former homesexuals and murderers in Galatians...groups who by law should have been tried and, if found guilty, put to death. Of course, this was in Roman times, where the capital punishment was severely controlled.

Today, in our society, the death penalty is hotly debated, using the Bible, by both sides. In this instance, the accused pled guilty, so the only decision was what penalty he should get. Even his victims are divided on this.

Comment

Which they did AFTER witness testimony before judges, per Moses, in a society very different from ours. In NT times the concept of the death penalty was still around, but as I recall someone here on TWeb pointing out, Paul addressed former homesexuals and murderers in Galatians...groups who by law should have been tried and, if found guilty, put to death.
                  Jewish law had no force in Galatia, just as how Sharia law has no force in Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                    Jewish law had no force in Galatia, just as how Sharia law has no force in Alaska.
                    Hmm, yes...I stand corrected.

Comment