Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impending Minimum Wage hike causing restaurants to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    You have explained nothing re: Deut 15, only made assertions and tried to cast doubt.

And look: here you are again quoting authorities that doesn't make your case

Jesse: here you have shown yourself incapable of proper argument. You merely assert, and claim that your opponents aren't doing the homework and that you're "tired of explaining". When backed to the wall you quote chunks of texts from authorities in place of actually verbalising and defending an argument.

Deut 15 is wealth distribution. Nothing in what you cited contradicts the facts that people are mandated to loan money to the poor which will often become a gift due to remission of the debt every seventh year- as God himself recognised. In spite of this God still commanded his people to give freely to the poor.
    Wow. You really are out of your depth aren't you. There really isn't much that needs to be said after this post from you.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      What is this - your attempt to save face from your prior error?
      What error, pray tell?

Comment

You quoted that post in this post of yours, dumbass.
        As long as you're happy, Papster.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
          Wow. You really are out of your depth aren't you. There really isn't much that needs to be said after this post from you.
          Again, nothing of substance from Jesse. As to be expected, of course.

Comment

DRAT! I amen'd this post before realizing it was yet another load of jackassery.
            I recommend a talk with your subconscious.

Comment

• I gotta say. I am a bit shocked. Never seen such a quick deflection like that to a post. That's some crazy stuff right there.
              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

To be fair I don't recall Cow Poke having argued anywhere that forced wealth redistribution is immoral.
                I have not.

But it is a reasonable conclusion to come to, given that he was digging in his heels to not recognise that redistribution was a reasonable interpretation of Jubilee because he thought it was to be used to support Obama's policies or some other.
                Here is what you had originally claimed....

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                That's a false dichotomy. Scripture also advocated giving by force, eg the Jubilee laws. Because this is lilpix I suppose I have to spell out that this doesn't imply that all forced giving is good, but it surely means that not all forced giving is bad.
                And you were responding in that post to this....

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                Why do you suppose the Bible advocates cheerful giving vs taking from one, by force, and giving to another?
                You were presenting Jubilee EXACTLY as support for "taking from one, by force, and giving to another".

Perhaps you forgot that part.

It is the notion that Jubilee was in any way a basis for FORCED "redistribution" against which I 'dug in my heels' -- Jubilee did not FORCE anybody to "redistribute" anything.
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 03-22-2015, 02:22 PM.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I gotta say. I am a bit shocked. Never seen such a quick deflection like that to a post. That's some crazy stuff right there.
                  Yes, you did outdo yourself there.

Comment

Yes, you did outdo yourself there.
                    Keep trying to save face bro.

Comment

But it is a reasonable conclusion to come to, given that he was digging in his heels to not recognise that redistribution was a reasonable interpretation of Jubilee because he thought it was to be used to support Obama's policies or some other.
                      Originally posted by Cow Poke
                      It is the notion that Jubilee was in any way a basis for FORCED "redistribution" -- Jubilee did not FORCE anybody to "redistribute" anything.
                      Sure, sure. You were merely upset over people doing incorrect exegesis

Which was why you refused to budge until Adrift and I pointed out that no one had actually used Jubilee to argue for Obama's or (or any other politician's or internet blogger's) concept of redistribution).

Comment

Keep trying to save face bro.
                        I would suggest that when trying to cheer yourself up you don't actually post what you say to yourself. No one's all that interested.

Comment

Which was why you refused to budge until Adrift and I pointed out that no one had actually used Jubilee to argue for Obama's or (or any other politician's or internet blogger's) concept of redistribution).
                          Well, what, exactly, do you think Pix was talking about there, Pappie?

Comment

Well, of COURSE, cause you're mind's already made up!

Where have I ever made that claim, Sam?

Perhaps you should argue this with somebody who has actually made a claim that this is "immoral".

You're the one who wants to argue the topic without examining the context: if you had read the previous thread about this prior to assuming what the argument was about, we might not be in this mess. The original context was about the immorality of wealth distribution in light of ancient Israelite law. I'm not saying this is your
                            Originally posted by Sam
                            Entering into commerce with the understanding that Jubilee law will force redistribution of wealth is no different than entering into commerce with the understanding that taxes will force redistribution of wealth. It's not any more or less "forcing" that redistribution.
                            On which, I believe, we now agree.
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Here is the post to which you responded with your brilliant idea that Jubilee was a good example of FORCED redistribution.

Comment

Well, what, exactly, do you think Pix was talking about there, Pappie?
                                I was merely correcting her statement about Scripture: that Scripture advocated cheerful giving and not giving by force, which is clearly contradicted by Jubilee and other laws.

If you actually read carefully, I was careful to clarify (for the lil one, but it looks like I need to put a disclaimer for you too next time) that "this doesn't imply that all forced giving is good, but it surely means that not all forced giving is bad."

Comment