Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Impending Minimum Wage hike causing restaurants to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
    gee whiz, this is too big for me to decide for everybody else.

I think The American People should vote on it.

a referendum or ballot initiative, people's vote, one vote for one person, including Representatives, their vote should only count for themselves, (they can take a little time out to vote while they're looking for a job)

VOTE:

Option A
    volunteer donations to laborers (also known as "The Cheap Skate" option, since you don't have to donate, its voluntary)
    also known as the Blanche DuBois Option

OR

Option B
    ENFORCED 20% Service Charge, to be distributed among THE WORKERS , (does not affect the taxpayer who does not eat out, and would therefore be paying for service he does not get, but it adds to the tax coffers of the taxpayer even if he does not eat out)

....Let Americans decide.

you get to vote on this CP
    You don't HAVE to vote -- you are free to give as much as you want any time you want! You and all your liberal buddies!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      That still doesn't deal with the fundamental problem of CEOs not making enough money to do that. The ratio of CEOs to minimum wage earners is too small. McDonald's has 1 ceo to almost half a million workers.
      A higher income tax rate and/or wealth tax does not impact only restaurant CEOs or even only CEOs in general. I would advocate a relatively modest wage floor ($10-$15, depending on the state, linked to inflation) and a higher tax on top earners, with a progressive impact as one moves upward.
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
        You have a difficult time avoiding personal interjections into argument. Gotta work on that.

It's gaudy to talk cheaply of one's giving. I give such that I am not being hypocritical.

Keep your punches a bit higher, though -- no one likes the guy who's always trying to land a cheap shot.
        Sounds like I touched a nerve.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          sure I tip, at restaurants for good service. I don't eat where they force me to give a tip.

So basically the difference in your idea is you want to force other people to tip. Great idea. It sure is easy to spend other people's money, huh? But I was saying why don't YOU put your money where your mouth is and tip the people at McDondalds or the people you supervise?

How about if someone forces you to do something you don't want to do?

Did you know that the theologyweb moderators make $0. How about if I force you to pay them, oh say, $5 each per month as a "tip"? Would that be fair? Then I can start forcing other people to pay too. I wonder where tweb will be in a year? Would you still be here?

ok did it.

speaking of which, what happened to the Amazon link that was supposed to help.

Just let me know. I will send you an invoice for the tips
          not necessary, it says I can find it on the PayPal page.
          To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            You don't HAVE to vote -- you are free to give as much as you want any time you want! You and all your liberal buddies!
            alas , I have no liberal buddies.

All the liberals I know personally advocate legal abortion, and no defense and no borders, and probably unarmed policemen if their skin is white.
            To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              This is that thing where liberals give generously by reaching deep into other people's pockets, isn't it?

Believe it or not,
              I think I am the one who coined that phrase first.

(I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing it before I used it on the old TWeb, often)

....and the Bill O'Reilly message board and the local newspaper, and the nearest 2 big cities op-ed pages too.

Comment

• voluntary hasn't worked.

and that's all there is to it.

Comment

A higher income tax rate and/or wealth tax does not impact only restaurant CEOs or even only CEOs in general. I would advocate a relatively modest wage floor ($10-$15, depending on the state, linked to inflation) and a higher tax on top earners, with a progressive impact as one moves upward.
                  So, punish the successful with higher tax burdens... got it.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    I cited McDonalds report of decreased sales amid increasing the prices on their value menu. Fast food consumption HAD increased because population has increased. Additionally, the CDC has provided data that shows American fast food consumption DECREASING:

Source: http://jonbarron.org/natural-health/american-fast-food-consumption-statistics#.VQh6QHYpC70

The one bright spot in these findings is that Americans' fast food consumption has decreased slightly. Yes, 11.3 percent of our daily calories is actually lower than what it was in the previous NHANES research

National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 28 February 2013. Accessed 1 March 2013. http://www.cdc.gov/NCHS/nhanes.htm

© Copyright Original Source

I don't think that has anything to do with prices.
                    I believe its health related. People are not leaving McDonalds because of the prices,

I believe they are leaving and paying higher prices for healthier meals.

I am thinking also, its because a large segment, the Baby Boomers, who used to go to McDonalds etc, are at the age where that stuff will kill you.

just MHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      So, punish the successful with higher tax burdens... got it.
                      Yeah, it's not like they have high dollar lawyers and tax consultants that can shield their income or move it offshore or....

Again, liberals think people are too stupid to do anything but pay the taxes they assess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Sounds like I touched a nerve.
                        Not at all. I have very little interest in arbitrary speculations from folks slinging mud on the Internet and none of my self esteem is derived from such people. It's pretty hard to get riled from your barbs. I'm just tryin' to help you out, as such behavior is deconstructive to effective debate and reputation.
                        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
                          I don't think that has anything to do with prices.
                          I believe its health related. People are not leaving McDonalds because of the prices,

I believe they are leaving and paying higher prices for healthier meals.

5 shocking reasons why Americans are getting fatter

wendys_new_natural_fries_try_to_dethrone_king_ronald-620x412.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            I worked at KFC for about two-years during high school. It took me over a decade to ever want to eat KFC again.
                            Me too! I still don't eat there. I was a cook. I hated the kitchen. But it paid for my schooling and put gas in my car. My brother worked at Long John Silvers till he joined the Air Force.

Comment

Not at all. I have very little interest in arbitrary speculations from folks slinging mud on the Internet and none of my self esteem is derived from such people. It's pretty hard to get riled from your barbs. I'm just tryin' to help you out, as such behavior is deconstructive to effective debate and reputation.

Comment

• OK,

lets see, Liberals vs Conservatives

...Conservatives vs Liberals...

Dudes and Dudettes, you are being played.

at the end of the day, the "Liberal" politicians and the "Conservative" politicians belong to the same Country Club.

Comment