Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bowe Bergdahl to be charged with desertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joel, even in the civilian world one cannot just quit without consequences. If I were one who up and walked out on an employer, I had better be prepared to explain myself (especially if I want to work again!)

Even if I had good cause to walk out, people are going to want to know why I violated the agreement to work for my employer. Just saying I didn't believe in it anymore isn't really a good justification.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      Joel, even in the civilian world one cannot just quit without consequences.
      Sure, all actions have consequences.
      Not all actions are illegal.

Just saying I didn't believe in it anymore isn't really a good justification.
      It might if, e.g., you work for an abortion clinic and then came to the conclusion that you were aiding and abetting murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
        It might if, e.g., you work for an abortion clinic and then came to the conclusion that you were aiding and abetting murder.
        That has absolutely NOTHING to do with abandoning your fellow soldiers when took an oath to defend your country. You're entering the world of jackassery to defend a really dumb position, and frankly, I'm surprised.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          That has absolutely NOTHING to do with abandoning your fellow soldiers when took an oath to defend your country. You're entering the world of jackassery to defend a really dumb position, and frankly, I'm surprised.
          I was just using an example of what DesertBerean was talking about (and one in the private sector as he was discussing). The military equivalent would be a soldier who came to the conclusion that what he was doing was unjust killing (i.e. murder, and likely on a larger scale than an abortion clinic), either because he became a pacifist, or because he came to the conclusion that what the military was doing in particular was unjust.

Comment

Sure, all actions have consequences.
            Not all actions are illegal.

Not ALL such actions are illegal...true. Bringing us right back to this military guy actually committing an ILLEGAL action! Because he broke the law in such a manner that is so associated with the act of treachery, he has to face the music.

Comment

I was just using an example of what DesertBerean was talking about (and one in the private sector as he was discussing). The military equivalent would be a soldier who came to the conclusion that what he was doing was unjust killing (i.e. murder, and likely on a larger scale than an abortion clinic), either because he became a pacifist, or because he came to the conclusion that what the military was doing in particular was unjust.
              See my response above.

And ... I'm a SHE!!!!!

Comment

Again, that has NOTHING to do with this thread. Bergdahl abandoned his post - he didn't just "have a change of heart". If anything, he was being attracted to an even more BRUTAL killing organization.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not ALL such actions are illegal...true. Bringing us right back to this military guy actually committing an ILLEGAL action! Because he broke the law in such a manner that is so associated with the act of treachery, he has to face the music.
                  It seemed like you were trying to say that X having negative consequences was tantamount to X being illegal. I was just countering that by pointing out that they are different.

Here it seems like you are begging the question. Here it seems you are arguing that he should be punished because he committed a malum prohibitum. But I'm raising the question of whether it should be illegal in the first place.

And ... I'm a SHE!!!!!
                  Doh. I'm sorry.

Again, that has NOTHING to do with this thread. Bergdahl abandoned his post - he didn't just "have a change of heart". If anything, he was being attracted to an even more BRUTAL killing organization.
                  I was responding to DesertBerean's comments about an employee having a change of heart, not about Berghdal in particular. The intent was to show how that can be a legitimate reason to quit. That it can even be a morally imperative one.

One could argue that quitting should not be illegal because there can be such (good) reasons to quit. But that's not really the argument I'm making, which I think applies even when people don't have a good reason. In a previous post I acknowledged that desertion may very well be an imprudent and immoral action. But that imprudent and immoral do not imply "should be illegal."

Comment

I was responding to DesertBerean's comments about an employee having a change of heart, not about Berghdal in particular.
                    Please feel free to start your own thread on that subject, and cease derailing this one, OK?

Comment

Perhaps it would be helpful to see why they were brought up in the Declaration of Independence. They are stated there in opposition to the Hobbesian theory that you (or your ancestors) somehow, perhaps implicitly, transferred all your rights to the state, in exchange for protection from the state. The result of the Hobbesian view is that the state has unrestrained, absolute power, and the people have no rights. The state would say something like, "You chose to live here knowing full well the rules, that you give me all your rights, so you have no moral claim against me, no matter what I do to you." The response to that is that you have unalienable rights, that you cannot have transferred to the state, implicitly or explicitly. It is upon this response that the Revolutionary War was morally justified.
                      But your argument falls apart when you consider that our modern military is a 100% volunteer force that every last person that is currently in, signed up under their own free will. The military has made no secret of its rules and policies towards how you can get out and why. In fact, our military has had some of the best retention rates in its history. Many end up staying past their first enlistment, so your argument doesn't seem to work out as well. It is quite simple, if you don't want to live under those rules, don't sign up. Nobody is forcing you to live under those rules. You choose them and they were not kept secret.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

and in this case he deserted TO the enemy. That is essentially treason.

Comment

On June 30, 2009, in Mest Malak, Afghanistan, Bowe Bergdahl left his unit and deserted the U.S. Army. We know he deserted because we were there when he did it.

We are confident that the overdue report from political and military leaders on Bergdahl's actions, sitting on a general's desk since October, comes to the same conclusion. It has to because the facts are clear.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...lumn/22751871/

Comment

We can get into a philosophical discussion of the arguments for or against them if you like.
                            I would like to do so, but it doesn't have to be in this thread.

But perhaps it would be sufficient for now to point out that the Declaration of Independence declares them to exist, it was passed by the Congress and never repealed.
                            Perhaps, if the Declaration had such legal significance. I am not aware that it does.

Perhaps it would be helpful to see why they were brought up in the Declaration of Independence.
                            Yes, it would be helpful to see that they're just justification for high treason.

Comment

Anybody with half a brain would see that Bergdahl's case satisfies the requirements of Articl 85, and the official conviction is only a matter of time -- unless, of course, the UCMJ is thwarted for political reasons.

Meanwhile, the Bergdahl Hearing is Postponed Until September, apparently at the request of the defense team.

Comment

Update:

2017-10-09-2808a200_large.jpg
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment