Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sony Caves in to N Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
    I believe they were counting on something called freedom of speech.
    Then why did they cave? Are they not willing to stand up for their principles?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

https://twitter.com/joerogan/status/545446103793926145
      @joerogan Seth Rogen and James Franco having their movie pulled due to terrorist threats sounds like the plot of a Seth Rogen and James Franco movie.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        I'm pretty sure any release of any kind has been canceled completely.
        That is because they are cowards.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Sony deserved it. They had very little encryption on their servers and had it coming. I just feel sorry for the employees that have been getting harassed.
          Yeah...No...

I know it's not the world we live in where we can expect privacy...but, hacking IS illegal. So deserves it is a little strong IMO...
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            That is because they are cowards.
            No. they care about their employees and the public. Direct threats were made against the employees, theaters, and anyone attending them.

Sony is just a company, NK is a country. They are also known psychpathic terrorists. Sony played it safe. You can't fault them for caring. If they thumbed their noses at this and people got killed in some theater bombing, you would be complaining about how callous they were to ignore the threats.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              No. they care about their employees and the public. Direct threats were made against the employees, theaters, and anyone attending them.

Sony is just a company, NK is a country. They are also known psychpathic terrorists. Sony played it safe. You can't fault them for caring. If they thumbed their noses at this and people got killed in some theater bombing, you would be complaining about how callous they were to ignore the threats.
              First, no doubt that the threats were empty. Second, just release it free on the net - they have nothing to lose at this point. I'm sorry, we should not Kowtow to this kind of intimidation. If anonymous threats can stop this movie today - what can they shut down tomorrow. Of course like I said - the movie was a stupid idea...

Comment

my understanding is that Sony is still releasing it but giving the theaters the option not to show it.

Comment

Right, there was going to be another e-mail dump - correct?
                  I haven't been following it closely so I don't know but I hear the hackers have terabytes of data.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                    my understanding is that Sony is still releasing it but giving the theaters the option not to show it.
                    No, this morning they said it will not be released at all.

Comment

First, no doubt that the threats were empty. Second, just release it free on the net - they have nothing to lose at this point. I'm sorry, we should not Kowtow to this kind of intimidation. If anonymous threats can stop this movie today - what can they shut down tomorrow. Of course like I said - the movie was a stupid idea...
                      Maybe they are backing off while the FBI/CIA etc are taking care of things. You can't know the threats were empty or not. The personal hacks and attacks weren't. How would you like it if your employer was hacked and you found your personal info posted all over the net, and threats made against your family and your employers said "We don't care. We won't be threatened by terrorists. Deal with it Seer"

Comment

Maybe they are backing off while the FBI/CIA etc are taking care of things. You can't know the threats were empty or not. The personal hacks and attacks weren't. How would you like it if your employer was hacked and you found your personal info posted all over the net, and threats made against your family and your employers said "We don't care. We won't be threatened by terrorists. Deal with it Seer"
                        Then let anonymous hackers dictate what we can see hear or say. If this stands, do you really believe this will be the end of such tactics?

Comment

Then let anonymous hackers dictate what we can see hear or say. If this stands, do you really believe this will be the end of such tactics?
                          The FBI is taking care of it. And probably the CIA. It isn't just being ignored. They probably told Sony to back down so they could do their jobs.

But you never answered my question about how you would feel if your employer was hacked and you and your family were targeted and threatened because of it and they decided they would not "give in to terrorists" and any consequences that happened were your own to deal with.

Comment

But you never answered my question about how you would feel if your employer was hacked and you and your family were targeted and threatened because of it and they decided they would not "give in to terrorists" and any consequences that happened were your own to deal with.

Listen Sparko, I would like to like think that I would stand up for my principles - come what may. I mean would you deny Christ in the face of such threats?

Comment

Listen Sparko, I would like to like think that I would stand up for my principles - come what may. I mean would you deny Christ in the face of such threats?
                              wow that was a change of topic. I don't recall the terrorists telling Sony to deny Christ.

nice deflection though. I am willing to bet if your employer were to allow hackers to threaten your family over something like a stupid movie, you would be quite upset with your employer.

Comment

wow that was a change of topic. I don't recall the terrorists telling Sony to deny Christ.

nice deflection though. I am willing to bet if your employer were to allow hackers to threaten your family over something like a stupid movie, you would be quite upset with your employer.
                                Sony did not "allow" the hacking. Besides the damage was already done, the threats already made. So I will ask again, is there anything, any principle, that you would be willing to go to the wall for? And this is not about a stupid movie (and it is stupid). It is about being controlled by, or dictated to, by anonymous hackers. Probably sitting home in their pajamas.

Comment