Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Room At The Inn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    I think what we have here might be a theological problem or difference of emphasis. Darth, Pap, Epo et al find their theological purpose in the metaphor of battle and warfare or 'fighting'. Darth says that is what he is here for. There certainly are some theological justifications for this although most, but not all, are in the OT.

OTOH, with Jesus, supposedly the supreme revelation of the nature of God, we find a quite different emphasis. The early church, as recorded in the letters, also were obviously encouraged to operate out of this new paradigm. And that's what I think it is, a new paradigm of relationship. The Old Covenant was based on obedience and judgement, while the new one is based on mercy and forgiveness. Not exclusively of course. Elements of both 'ways' may be found in both, but I propose there is a distince shift in emphasis between the two.

Thus, to be meek and mild at all times (even here) is a theological error imo, to be combative and disdainful at all times (even here) is also an error.
    Just a reminder, nobody has yet argued why those scriptural injunctions should not be met. I won't encourage the stirrers anymore.

edited to add. The scriptures got lost on the repost, just check back if you wish to argue the case.
    Last edited by pancreasman; 12-21-2014, 06:48 PM. Reason: whoops

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      well that's just a plain lie. I never called her an idiot. Passive aggressive my great aunt. That's just another term like projection you throw around because because you can only see human interactions in combat terms.
      I was mocking your argument, I never claimed you called her an idiot.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
        You tell me. Apparently you see a problem there that I don't.
        Of course you don't see a problem because you seem to revel in the attention it brings.

Exactly, hence 'Yankee' instead of 'western'. You're welcome for the correction.
        I somehow doubt that a Spaniard or a Frenchman is going to enjoy you calling children 'slaves', but tell yourself whatever you want to hear if it makes you feel better.

Oh, the question?
        And your avoidance answer below is noted.

No. Are you telling me you didn't know that until college, and needed to learn it from a course?
        Red herring alert! For whining about others attack red herrings, you sure seem to love them yourself. You also seem to enjoy stuffing words down people's throats, so again... guess when you can't refute what is brought forth. Any shelter in a storm will do...
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          What CP says ...

What CP hears ..

Because CP is married, and has daughters.
          Truer words, my friend...
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            To expand, for people who aren't idiots: KG's post is pure garbage. I don't fight "for its own sake",
            Yeah you do! You just PRETEND it's for a higher purpose to justify (in your own mind) your caustic nature.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I might care if it inconvenienced me in some way, but CP's opinion is irrelevant,
              You wish!

and he only drags my character into this to avoid a shellacking

You ARE a character, that's for sure, but the "shellacking" is only in your egotistic little mind.

Comment

1) CP started the argument.
                But MOM, CP started it! Waaanannnnnhhhhhh

(and I already posted proof where you poked your nose in where I wasn't even dealing with you)

2) CP is the one who wants to talk about our feelings instead of answering arguments made to him.
                Conduct. Not feelings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Yeah you do! You just PRETEND it's for a higher purpose to justify (in your own mind) your caustic nature.
                  There are plenty of places where I can go to argue for fun. So no, not really.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  But MOM, CP started it! Waaanannnnnhhhhhh
                  X started it is a perfectly legitimate defense. One you yourself used, for example, when defending Officer Wilson. Parents who don't take that into account when dealing with children pretty much tell their children they're not interested in justice.

(and I already posted proof where you poked your nose in where I wasn't even dealing with you)
                  You mean that post where I wasn't answering anybody in particular? Nevermind that Epo wasn't talking to YOU either, so you butted into HIS conversation. The difference is that I'm not the one running away from my warrior nature while engaging in wanton slaughter. Keep in mind that the substance of our first interactions are also like heaven and earth. Yours was substance-free drivel whose sole purpose was to feign outrage (and thus inevitably start a fight) whereas mine was a purely informative correction.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• You're cute, Darthy. You can spew forth your hostility all you want - I don't take you seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      The tag line here is, "We Debate Theology... Seriously!" So while it might not be a 'formal' debate forum. It still is a debate forum of some type.
                      I can go along with that. Do you think the quality of 'informal' debate here is particularly good?
                      אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                        I can go along with that. Do you think the quality of 'informal' debate here is particularly good?
                        Some yes and some no. It's loads better than many other web sites I've been to.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          I'm just here to watch Mossy Pin the thunder out of Rogue.

Comment

Fighting for fun where both participants are there to fight for fun does not cause discord. Quite the opposite. As far as I can tell the only people in such a situation who are causing discord are the moralistic nannies who can't mind their own business.
                            This assumes that everybody you go after is in it for their own amusement too.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              This assumes that everybody you go after is in it for their own amusement too.
                              No, the others are moralistic nannies ... like you, and me. Apparently being combative is a virtue and trying to be a peacemaker is not blessed at all, but effeminate.

Comment

• Here is one example of a post where a user had no interest in anything but a clinical discussion and was blindsided for no coherent reason:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post75943
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment