Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Room At The Inn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Another barb? You know, if you want to actually refute what was said... proving that what was said is dead accurate isn't usually the best way to go about things.
    Not a barb, an accurate description. I only care about what God thinks of me. I might care if it inconvenienced me in some way, but CP's opinion is irrelevant, and he only drags my character into this to avoid a shellacking, as a red herring. You OTOH seem to care deeply about what some nobody on the Internet thinks about you, so you charge through your posts to find one where you're not combative so you can show this good, well meaning stranger what a good person you are because you can't stand to think that someone somewhere might think something bad of you. Which is your business of course, but I don't see why anyone would want to emulate you in this regard. I sure don't.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      If TWeb were to be a debate forum, there would need to be more rules and much more strict moderation, judging, point scoring, etc. More importantly, in a true debate, the participants should be willing and able to argue both sides of a point in order increase one's understanding of all perspectives on an issue. I think of TWeb as more of a discussion site, 'though not always a civil one.
      Discussion site? Nah, Tweb is a bacon forum. All the theology and politics is incidental.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• What CP says ...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Speaking of which, I have a wedding this afternoon and I need a shirt ironed.

What CP hears ..

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        blah ... blah ... blah ... let me help you out with that ... blah ... blah ... blah
        Because CP is married, and has daughters.

Comment

• Perspective is needed. When Jesus/Paul/etc. were aggressive, there was a greater purpose. They did not act in such a way for the sake of doing so but for the furtherment of the gospel. DE has explicitly stated he is here to fight/spew hatred, apparently for its own sake. There is no biblical parallel for this.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            apparently for its own sake.
            Idiot.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

• To expand, for people who aren't idiots: KG's post is pure garbage. I don't fight "for its own sake", I fight for a higher purpose, like Jesus and the mountain of early Christians that followed Him. In fact I've explicitly made the argument elsewere on tweb in various contexts that doing anything "for its own sake" is nonsensical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                To expand, for people who aren't idiots: KG's post is pure garbage. I don't fight "for its own sake", I fight for a higher purpose, like Jesus and the mountain of early Christians that followed Him.
                As a matter of taste I don't think i like some of your posts, though some of it does come off to me as trollishness, and I don't believe trolling is never productive.

In fact I've explicitly made the argument elsewere on tweb in various contexts that doing anything "for its own sake" is nonsensical.
                What about friendship?

Comment

Idiot.
                  You wrote about how you find such behavior cathartic. That is suggestive of a motivation apart from the gospel.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Not a barb, an accurate description.
                    Unless you got yourself some mind reading powers lately, your description is so inaccurate, it makes me laugh. Besides, since you seem to protest so much, I guess you're just projecting your flaws upon others? Well, that sure was easy... now do you have anything, beyond a mindless accusation, to back your views up with? Anything?

I only care about what God thinks of me.
                    And let me guess... God just happens to agree with everything you say and do? Right?

I might care if it inconvenienced me in some way, but CP's opinion is irrelevant, and he only drags my character into this to avoid a shellacking, as a red herring. You OTOH seem to care deeply about what some nobody on the Internet thinks about you, so you charge through your posts to find one where you're not combative so you can show this good, well meaning stranger what a good person you are because you can't stand to think that someone somewhere might think something bad of you. Which is your business of course, but I don't see why anyone would want to emulate you in this regard. I sure don't.
                    My dear Darthy, some people's opinions matter to me, but yours is not among them. CP has a point that you seem to be unable to refute. Jesus was not always in combat mode and that would kind of imply that neither should we always be in combat mode. Yet, it seems that it what you spend an awfully lot of time in. Likewise, your logic is off too. CP is talking from a westerner, living in the 21st century about what the term 'slavery' means to most of our society. The Bible was not written to a 21st century western audience, so your comment about 'you're using the same logic that atheist use' is also off base. See, you're writing to a 21st century western audience, so you need to style your writing as such. Let us start here... what is the connotation of the word 'slavery' to those living in the western world, during the early 21st century? Is it the same connotation that people living thousands of years ago might of had?
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      If TWeb were to be a debate forum, there would need to be more rules and much more strict moderation, judging, point scoring, etc. More importantly, in a true debate, the participants should be willing and able to argue both sides of a point in order increase one's understanding of all perspectives on an issue. I think of TWeb as more of a discussion site, 'though not always a civil one.
                      The tag line here is, "We Debate Theology... Seriously!" So while it might not be a 'formal' debate forum. It still is a debate forum of some type.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        You wrote about how you find such behavior cathartic.
                        Yes, with other people who do the same for the same reason (IE: not here, though some of the whiners here, like CP, obviously revel in verbal slaughter). It's like comparing a boxing match to walking around randomly punching people in the head.

That is suggestive of a motivation apart from the gospel.
                        What exactly does that mean? When you go to relieve yourself, are you urinating to further the gospel or is your motivation for doing so apart from the gospel?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                          Suppose I don't. Now what?
                          So what do you have now?

Fixed. I'm pretty sure Europeans aren't as angsty as you Yanks about slavery.
                          The Europeans where among those helping to slap on the shackles of slavery, to support their colonial empires, but didn't have much slavery in their home lands. Might be why the issue of slavery is a wee bit of a touch subject here in the US. Because we had to deal directly with the consequences of it.

(emphases mine)
                          If you're going to lecture someone else on proper usage of English, at the very least make sure there is no error in your own.
                          Too bad I didn't attack you on your spelling or grammar eh? Well, guess when you can't refute the logic, whine about spelling and/or grammar and hope your poor logic disappears into a puff of smoke. Remember Pap, unlike CP and some of the others here. I have no issue with slapping you around with your own stupidity. Now do you want to answer the point yet or perhaps you want to correct some a few more grammar errors to help out your self esteem?
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

bla bla bla
                            I read like two lines until I realized from experience that I was reading a pixie post, which I usually don't at all, since they're all long-winded, uninformative, boring and whining. Like truthseeker, you're an automatic "scroll right past" and I see no reason to change that habit. If you have something to say please redact your post down to 1 or two lines (there's rarely more substance in them than that) and I'll be happy to reply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              EGGzackly. And Paul FREQUENTLY discusses the need for UNITY in the Church, and speaks out against "combat" between members.
                              I'd agree there, but try telling that to our dear friends here. They seem more interested in going on than they do in actually refuting their poor logic and bad reasoning...
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The tag line here is, "We Debate Theology... Seriously!" So while it might not be a 'formal' debate forum. It still is a debate forum of some type.
                                Now this is a good post. If more of your posts were like this I'd scroll past them less often.

Comment