Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

No Room At The Inn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Do ANY of you ever post anything positive? Joyful? Uplifting? Encouraging? Edifying?
    I found this earlier post of yours edifying:

Originally posted by Cow Poke
    People who support the murder of babies ought to be pistol-whipped
    Are your lives so miserable that all you can do is snit and snipe? Is this how you are in real life? What happened in your Christian journey to cause you to be so acidic?
    This is typical CP. I've noticed you do this every time you lose a debate (which happens quite often): rather than admit you were wrong you try to deflect the discussion with jokes and sudden random friendly comments, as if people are suddenly going to forget you were talking crap just a few minutes earlier. This isn't even a matter of whether we agree or not since you do this with loathsome people like lao tzu even when I agree with you. Why is your heart so filled with pride that you cannot admit you were bested, brother?
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      I found this earlier post of yours edifying:
      Yes, DE, I have my faults. It's not the least bit surprising that you'd run to something like that to represent "edifying".

This is typical CP. I've noticed you do this every time you lose a debate (which happens quite often):
      "lose a debate"? I think it's DUMB to call children "slaves". It's an opinion, which I still hold.

rather than admit you were wrong you try to deflect the discussion with jokes and sudden random friendly comments, as if people are suddenly going to forget you were talking crap just a few minutes earlier.
      When I'm wrong, Darthy, I don't mind admitting it.

This isn't even a matter of whether we agree or not since you do this with loathsome people like lao tzu even when I agree with you. Why is your heart so filled with pride that you cannot admit you were bested, brother?
      And, why is it when you are asked if about joy or encouragement or edifying, you double down on the nasty? Why are you filled with so much angst?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And, why is it when you are asked if about joy or encouragement or edifying, you double down on the nasty?
        Why would I be distracted by your squid ink?
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Why would I be distracted by your squid ink?
          Well, I'm not the one you answer to, Darthy. That would be Jesus. I'm just curious, so I'm asking.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, I'm not the one you answer to, Darthy. That would be Jesus. I'm just curious, so I'm asking.
            Is this thread a sample of how you plan on answering at Judgement Day?

God: CP, why is a dead hooker* buried under your floorboards?
            CP: Why do you have to be so caustic all the time Lord? Let's discuss something more uplifting and edifying.

*pretend, for the sake of argument, that there is a dead hooker buried under CP's floorboards.

Comment

Is this thread a sample of how you plan on answering at Judgement Day?

God: CP, why is a dead hooker* buried under your floorboards?
              CP: Why do you have to be so caustic all the time Lord? Let's discuss something more uplifting and edifying.

*pretend, for the sake of argument, that there is a dead hooker buried under CP's floorboards.
              WHY would I pretend there's a dead hooker under my floorboards, Darthy?

And, since I have posted LOTS of stuff on Tweb about how good God is, it's SILLY to think that I'd accuse God of "always being caustic". You're REALLY struggling, Darthy.

I just wonder why your brain works like it does.... maybe I'm wrong, maybe you DO have threads or posts encouraging or edifying. I just haven't seen any, so I'm asking.

You're a Christian on a Christian board, but you always seem to want to come across as a bad guy. I just think there's gotta be a reason for that.

Comment

WHY would I pretend there's a dead hooker under my floorboards, Darthy?

And, since I have posted LOTS of stuff on Tweb about how good God is, it's SILLY to think that I'd accuse God of "always being caustic". You're REALLY struggling, Darthy.

I just wonder why your brain works like it does.... maybe I'm wrong, maybe you DO have threads or posts encouraging or edifying. I just haven't seen any, so I'm asking.
                Let's not pretend you're this humorless.

You're a Christian on a Christian board, but you always seem to want to come across as a bad guy. I just think there's gotta be a reason for that.
                Jesus would probably come across as a bad guy to a lot of the people here.

Comment

Let's not pretend you're this humorless.
                  As long as we don't pretend you're a comedian.

Jesus would probably come across as a bad guy to a lot of the people here.
                  Well, if the ONLY thing he did was drive the money changers out of the temple, or call people vipers and whited walls, I'd think he was more like you. He does plenty of things that would offset that though, Darthy. He healed people, fed the 5,000, loved and forgave....

Are you ok with the persona you have created here? Does this reflect who you are in real life? I'm just curious.

Comment

1. Parents do not 'own' their children. They are not yours to do with as you like. There is a mutual relationship here. In some ways, you are 'owned' by your children since you are responsible for meeting all their needs. However, this mutual relationship is better characterised by love and mutual obligation. Slavery is a long way from this.

2. Regarding our three amigos, I think they strongly identify with a 'combat' mode at all times. To them, everything and everybody is an enemy until proven otherwise. This seems to be the only platform out of which they can communicate. This is sad and limits them from experiencing others as real people with good intentions. Looking at Jesus, it's certainly true He used angry reactions from time to time. These reactions ,however, seem to be reserved for influential members of His own faith group. I don't think you'll find an example of Christ's blistering sarcasm being used against the Roman occupiers or the hated Samaritans. Instead we find many examples of Jesus' discourse full of wry humour and compassion for the lost.

3. On the actual topic, I don't have much to add. I always try to put myself in situations as a father and husband. If I was poor and lived in a country that was unsafe, and we had a neighbour country that projected itself as a land of opportunity, with abundant wealth and relative safety, I'd almost certainly be an illegal alien too for my children. The solutions to the problem then are not making the US less attractive and punitive (which I think is ultimately damaging to the US psyche) but rather helping neighbour countries become better places to live. Grant legal asylum to illegal aliens providing they pass background checks and incorporate them into your legitimate economy boosting it immeasurably. Prosecute US citizens severely who take advantage of illegal aliens by paying substandard wages. Just some thoughts.

Comment

Well, if the ONLY thing he did was drive the money changers out of the temple, or call people vipers and whited walls, I'd think he was more like you. He does plenty of things that would offset that though, Darthy. He healed people, fed the 5,000, loved and forgave....

Are you ok with the persona you have created here? Does this reflect who you are in real life? I'm just curious.
                      The people He healed, fed, loved and forgave and the people He whipped or called vipers and white walls were not the same. I'll happily heal anyone who asks though, as soon as I get my superpowers.

Comment

The people He healed, fed, loved and forgave and the people He whipped or called vipers and white walls were not the same. I'll happily heal anyone who asks though, as soon as I get my superpowers.
                        Healing is not restricted to physical healing. Soothing words to the fraught can be healing too.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                          They are not yours to do with as you like.
                          Neither is a lot of other property. Like CP, you just don't understand what slavery means since you've had an inane image of a black guy turning a grinding wheel while getting whipped implanted into your head as the sole standard for slavery.

2. Regarding our three amigos, I think they strongly identify with a 'combat' mode at all times. To them, everything and everybody is an enemy until proven otherwise. This seems to be the only platform out of which they can communicate. This is sad and limits them from experiencing others as real people with good intentions. Looking at Jesus, it's certainly true He used angry reactions from time to time. These reactions ,however, seem to be reserved for influential members of His own faith group. I don't think you'll find an example of Christ's blistering sarcasm being used against the Roman occupiers or the hated Samaritans. Instead we find many examples of Jesus' discourse full of wry humour and compassion for the lost.
                          Influential members of His own faith group? Would a preacher qualify? Even, say, a Country Preacher?

3. On the actual topic, I don't have much to add.
                          Why am I not shocked that, like CP, you're more interested in psychoanalyzing people than discussing important topics?

I always try to put myself in situations as a father and husband. If I was poor and lived in a country that was unsafe, and we had a neighbour country that projected itself as a land of opportunity, with abundant wealth and relative safety, I'd almost certainly be an illegal alien too for my children. The solutions to the problem then are not making the US less attractive and punitive (which I think is ultimately damaging to the US psyche) but rather helping neighbour countries become better places to live. Grant legal asylum to illegal aliens providing they pass background checks and incorporate them into your legitimate economy boosting it immeasurably. Prosecute US citizens severely who take advantage of illegal aliens by paying substandard wages. Just some thoughts.
                          Maybe you can put yourself into the situation of the labourers who are now stuck on welfare so cheap Mexican (or other) labor can displace them at a fraction of the cost. Or maybe you can put yourself in the place of the desperate people who aren't breaking the law to go to another country only to see people like you grant amnesty to criminals while they're left in the dust. Maybe put yourself into the situations of younger people in your own country who might have otherwise built up some experience doing low level jobs that are now taken up by desperate adults who can't feed their own people. Maybe you can put yourself into the situations of all the software developers Microsoft fired while demanding more visas so they can destroy their wages and keep them on a tight leash. Maybe, just maybe, you'll think before running after the first criminal screaming sympathy and ignoring the dozens of honest people you trample on to get there. Like all liberals, you only have sympathy for morally questionable individuals, without giving a single thought to anybody who suffers from your idiotic policies. Now buzz off, maybe you can find some thug who got ventilated by a cop in self defense to defend next. Hands up, don't shoot!

Comment

Healing is not restricted to physical healing. Soothing words to the fraught can be healing too.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauterization

Comment

Maybe you can put yourself into the situation of the labourers who are now stuck on welfare so cheap Mexican (or other) labor can displace them at a fraction of the cost. Or maybe you can put yourself in the place of the desperate people who aren't breaking the law to go to another country only to see people like you grant amnesty to criminals while they're left in the dust. Maybe put yourself into the situations of younger people in your own country who might have otherwise built up some experience doing low level jobs that are now taken up by desperate adults who can't feed their own people. Maybe you can put yourself into the situations of all the software developers Microsoft fired while demanding more visas so they can destroy their wages and keep them on a tight leash. Maybe, just maybe, you'll think before running after the first criminal screaming sympathy and ignoring the dozens of honest people you trample on to get there. Like all liberals, you only have sympathy for morally questionable individuals, without giving a single thought to anybody who suffers from your idiotic policies. Now buzz off, maybe you can find some thug who got ventilated by a cop in self defense to defend next. Hands up, don't shoot!
                              It isn't an either/or situation. If employers are using 'cheap' labor and not paying the minimum wage they ought to be prosecuted with zeal.

Comment

It isn't an either/or situation. If employers are using 'cheap' labor and not paying the minimum wage they ought to be prosecuted with zeal.
                                No, it's an either/or. You don't understand even basic economics so it's hard to even discuss this with you but if there are a lot of workers (legal or otherwise) the value of labour drops (as the workers have less and less leverage). And minimum wage is a joke, who's gonna do anything on minimum wage? This is the future the pancreasmans of the world offer to future generations: work to the bone at minimum wage. If you work at all.

Comment