Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Income Inequality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    And when those people, who you want to take their money from, say "Screw this" and move away. What do you do? Take money from a group that can't so easily pack up and move away?
    Execute them as traitors to the motherland.

Ask an irrelevant question, get a silly answer.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Someone, I don't remember who, said that if you want more poor people, just give them money if they have nothing to do (jobs). "Subsidize poverty."

That IMO is relevant because politicians try to raise the wage floor so to get more people out of jobs. After they go on government welfare, the pols garner their grateful votes. The pols are not stupid, just evil and manipulative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        Someone, I don't remember who, said that if you want more poor people, just give them money if they have nothing to do (jobs). "Subsidize poverty."

That IMO is relevant because politicians try to raise the wage floor so to get more people out of jobs. After they go on government welfare, the pols garner their grateful votes. The pols are not stupid, just evil and manipulative.
        On that point reasonable people can disagree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
          On that point reasonable people can disagree.
          Um... this is Tweb -- where are you going to find reasonable people?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Execute them as traitors to the motherland.

Ask an irrelevant question, get a silly answer.
            Arguments unable to stand up to hard and fast reality that keeps proving that forced money redistribution ends up with a broke community and nation? Dodge it by making a snappy comment and hope the flaws of your arguments disappear into a puff of smoke!
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Arguments unable to stand up to hard and fast reality that keeps proving that forced money redistribution ends up with a broke community and nation? Dodge it by making a snappy comment and hope the flaws of your arguments disappear into a puff of smoke!
              The key is not money, but the means of production-- land, resources, factories, etc, which can't exactly be packed up and moved overseas. Even if I were proposing a large-scale forced redistribution (which I'm not) that would cause the rich to pack up what they can and flee, the only thing they'd really be taking from us is their technical expertise which they have a history of abusing for personal profit anyway.

Comment

The key is not money, but the means of production-- land, resources, factories, etc, which can't exactly be packed up and moved overseas.
                And last I checked, land and resources exist in over seas locations too Spart. Factories can be built too. If it wasn't economical to pack up and move elsewhere. We wouldn't see an exodus from high tax countries to lower tax countries. Yet we do, so obviously... the cost seems to often end up being worth it. If your goal is to create more poor. I guess good job... that is why income redistribution usually ends up with a poor country, falling apart.

Even if I were proposing a large-scale forced redistribution (which I'm not) that would cause the rich to pack up what they can and flee, the only thing they'd really be taking from us is their technical expertise which they have a history of abusing for personal profit anyway.
                And what other system do you propose to deal with the reality we see around us? Communism doesn't work and ended with countries falling apart and/or ending up adopting the very system they attack to start with (IE look at what China is currently doing). Do you have a better idea, which deals with the reality we see around us other than a capitalist system? Capitalism is why you and I are currently talking. People built computers for personal profit and the stuff around us was built for the same reasons.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Makes you wonder, doesn't it, that Spartacus does not know about Adam Smith's invisible hand?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Hi Jimmy,

You must have received your talking points today!

Your friend,
                    CP
                    Hi CP. Could you explain why the Gov. Brownbacks conservative laboratory of Kansas is in the tank?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Hi CP. Could you explain why the Gov. Brownbacks conservative laboratory of Kansas is in the tank?
                      I really don't have a clue, Jimmy --- I haven't been keeping up with that, and don't know what's been going on in Kansas. But calling it a "conservative laboratory" is really goofy, unless you want to call Detroit the liberal's MASTERPIECE.

Your friend,
                      CP
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Welcome to human nature. We screw things up pretty easily-- or haven't you read Genesis 2-3?

Distributism wants to give more individuals more power, rather than simply giving power to individuals to exercise on the behalf of the collective.
                        Which is why you should be against such things as minimum wages. That is giving power to the collective to control individuals. Distributism (at least the page you linked to) seems to want to keep the power in the hands of the people who actually run the business (it advocates businesses that are owned and worked by family members who decide things together, and are not controlled by unions, or disgruntled employees, or the government)

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                          I just don't believe it! Someone earning a minimum wage is likely to be in poverty. Raising the wage floor only as much as you advocate is not likely to bring that person out of poverty. Likely to be out of a job "in fact." Must go on government welfare if not already.

I think I should also point out (again) that the bigger the raise, the more likely people are to lose jobs.
                          And that is the left's plan. "Help" some so you can buy their vote. Those that lost their job, you provide welfare for, blame the guy that laid them off and lump them in with "big business", and buy their vote.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Which is why you should be against such things as minimum wages. That is giving power to the collective to control individuals. Distributism (at least the page you linked to) seems to want to keep the power in the hands of the people who actually run the business (it advocates businesses that are owned and worked by family members who decide things together, and are not controlled by unions, or disgruntled employees, or the government)
                            As state power leveraged as a counter-balance against the power of corporations, minimum wages might be capable of doing more good than harm.

Anyway, I think I already clarified that the main reason I'm arguing with you is not that I strongly support raising the minimum wage, but that you've advanced some arguments that I consider deeply flawed.

Comment

As state power leveraged as a counter-balance against the power of corporations, minimum wages might be capable of doing more good than harm.

Anyway, I think I already clarified that the main reason I'm arguing with you is not that I strongly support raising the minimum wage, but that you've advanced some arguments that I consider deeply flawed.
                              In other words, you just like to argue.

Welcome to tweb!

Comment

Comment