Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Re: Michael Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The truth NEVER seems to matter to you in these cases, Jimmy.
    Said CP, just before citing Breitbart!

First, Byers said "more than a dozen," not "dozens." Next, it was a tweet, not a story. And last, it's one she's since retracted as not meeting the standards for publication.

And that's what you get for citing Breitbart.

Faceplant.

Notice the since-deleted Anderson Cooper tweet leading that off? Remember what I said about CNN choosing the former?

Stick with the New York Times.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      Yes, absolutely, because Breitbart cited it, it MUST be wrong. And the New York Times ALWAYS gets it right.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That is a totally fair statement. Let it also be noted, however, that I've been challenging this "militarizaton" of police departments. I can be, at times, critical of the way cops do business. I was also quite forthright in agreeing that our officer screwed up in the case of the "dynamic entry" on which I had started a thread about our District Attorney's reluctance to press charges of capital murder on the guy who killed our officer.
        I did note that. I do believe you try to be dispassionate.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Yes, absolutely, because Breitbart cited it, it MUST be wrong. And the New York Times ALWAYS gets it right.
          Climb down, CP. I didn't just say it's wrong because it's Breitbart. I proved it.

Comment

Climb down, CP. I didn't just say it's wrong because it's Breitbart. I proved it.
            Relax, Jesse -- I'm just pulling your chain.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Relax, Jesse -- I'm just pulling your chain.
              I'm wearing yellow to your barbecue.

Comment

Yes, absolutely, because Breitbart cited it, it MUST be wrong. ...
                If I understand correctly, Breitbart was citing Christine Byers, who herself does not give much importance to her own tweet. Did she have only one source, perhaps one within the police department? Why would she say it was not up to publication standards? We do not know. There is plenty of bias on both sides of this incident and lots of room for honest people to interpret statements differently. Were the sources in favor of the officer saying that it was not true that he was shot in the back, ie, all or none of the shots came from behind? Lots of variables that we cannot hope to unravel from a deleted post. Perhaps she had one source but it was a very reliable source who had personally interviewed many witnesses. We just do not know, but I don't think this deleted tweet can be used as proof of anything.
                Last edited by robrecht; 08-23-2014, 12:33 PM.
                אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Rogue put you up to that, didn't he?

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                    If I understand correctly, Breitbart was citing Christine Byers, who herself does not give much importance to her own tweet. Did she have only one source, perhaps one within the police department?
                    Supposedly she had multiple sources within the police department, but, we have yet to hear from those witnesses.

Why would she say it was not up to publication standards? We do not know.
                    It would make sense to assume that it was because it was police officials (who might have a bias) speaking off the record.

There is plenty of bias on both sides of this incident and lots of room for honest people to interpret statements differently.
                    There are a number of things that absolutely do not make sense, however. Like the officer sitting IN his patrol vehicle, grabbing 6'4" Brown by the throat, and trying to drag him into the front seat of the patrol unit.

Were the sources in favor of the officer saying that it was not true that he was shot in the back, ie,
                    I'm not understanding that question.

all or none of the shots came from behind? Lots of variables that we cannot hope to unravel from a deleted post.
                    I was speaking to Jimmy's assertion that ALL of the witnesses say he was surrendering when the fatal shot was fired, to wit:
                    Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    The testimony from all the witnesses was that he was facing the officer with his hands in the air when the fatal shots were fired.
                    Simply not true.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      So do you, as shown below, but when detailed testimony is corroborated by other independent witnesses you can no longer dismiss it.

That is false, the only thing that explains the arm wounds are that he was either shot with his back turned as he ran away, or that he was shot while facing the officer with his hands in the air.

And nobody denies that to be the case. The testimony from all the witnesses was that he was facing the officer with his hands in the air when the fatal shots were fired.

Some? I've so far heard one garbled and confusing video from Brietbart no less, not from the witness himself. On the other hand we have corroborating evidence from 3 independent sources that he merely turned and put his hands in the air when he was fatally shot twice in the head.

Doesn't matter, his testimony is corroborated in detail.
                      only explanation" for the arm wound is utter nonsense.

Pretty much what we expect from you JimL

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, but I already knew I was.
                        Um... CP? Dear brother of mine. That was what the test said about my results (I scored 3 out of 3).

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                          Doesn't matter, they are independent witnesses whose stories are identical.
                          Including multiple eyewitness accounts that claim he was gunned down from behind -- shot in the back. OTOH there are also accounts that say Brown was coming toward Wilson when he was shot.

Fail better.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Um... CP? Dear brother of mine. That was what the test said about my results (I scored 3 out of 3).

Comment

First, Byers said "more than a dozen," not "dozens." Next, it was a tweet, not a story. And last, it's one she's since retracted as not meeting the standards for publication.

And that's what you get for citing Breitbart.

Faceplant.

Notice the since-deleted Anderson Cooper tweet leading that off? Remember what I said about CNN choosing the former?

Stick with the New York Times.

As ever, Jesse
                              Saying that something doesn't meet the standards for publication is not the same as retracting it.

Comment

Psst... I'll be handing out yellow baseball caps in the driveway

Comment