Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ban The I-Word?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
    From the article:

Do insults regarding the Tea Party or Republican Party really compare to that?
    Who cares? The point is that insults are to be frowned upon, is it not? Why is using insulting and derogatory language toward a Republican any less of a problem to you than toward an illegal?

Of course not, nor did anyone ever suggest that. The author has no problem with the word "illegal." She simply has a problem with it being used to refer to foreign immigrants. Besides, there is a significant difference (at least in tone) between saying "What should the government do about those illegal immigrants" and "What should the government do about those illegals?"
    There is?
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      So now using illegal as in illegal immigrants is like using the N word? I mean are these people off their rocker?
      The 'i-word' is un-American
      http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/04/op...rds/index.html
      What about sharing with our less fortunate neighbours? Is that not mandated in Christianity?

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        What about sharing with our less fortunate neighbours? Is that not mandated in Christianity?
        No. It is a PERSONAL mandate, but not one mandated from a government.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Yeah!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
              That's not really true. You have states and cities without "controlling" their borders in that sense.
              That is only because we have national borders that help keep the hordes out, and stop us from being a third world country. Being overwhelmed by crime. Never mind the disease.

That's more of an argument against social services. One can also use this to argue for open immigration: the welfare state is going to be overwhelmed and collapse eventually. Let's hasten its demise.
              These immigrants that are coming are largely poor and uneducated - if and when they vote the will ensure a Democrat majority for the foreseeable future, making the welfare state larger, more intrusive and stronger. Yes, it will eventually collapse on itself but there will be a lot of pain before that. And we may never recover.

more mercantilism. Free markets clear.
              Nonsense, we don't simply do not need more low wage uneducated workers, we don't have enough jobs now. And a lot of immigrants don't spend a good portion of their earnings in the US, they send it back to family in their home countries.
              Last edited by seer; 07-09-2014, 07:56 AM.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You are clueless, nothing in scripture says we have to support anarchy and lawlessness. BTW FF, most of my neighbors are either Latino or Black and I do help my less fortunate neighbors. And have for years.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

You are clueless, nothing in scripture says we have to support anarchy and lawlessness. BTW FF, most of my neighbors are either Latino or Black and I do help my less fortunate neighbors. And have for years.
                  If people really loved one another there would be no lawlessness and no laws.

Comment

If people really loved one another there would be no lawlessness and no laws.
                    I agree, we would always do the right thing.

Comment

I agree, we would always do the right thing.

Comment

Your idea of “right thing” might look like law to me. The core of a good society is a motherly nurturing love with the lightest discipline compatible with safety of the young. Young children play together without noticing colour, creed, status or nationality. They are corrupted by the adult world and hormones. They are not born in that state. I am not convinced that “Lord of the Flies” gives a description of our true nature.
                        FF, if you are an atheist then all our behaviors are predetermined by the laws of nature - good and bad. They are not corrupted by the adult world, we are all corrupted by the laws of nature.

Comment

FF, if you are an atheist then all our behaviors are predetermined by the laws of nature - good and bad. They are not corrupted by the adult world, we are all corrupted by the laws of nature.
                          The personhoods of the supranational corporations that corrupt and enslave us all are not natural. We make our own hell and we can unmake it if we try hard enough. We start by learning to see the world as it really is.

Comment

The personhoods of the supranational corporations that corrupt and enslave us all are not natural. We make our own hell and we can unmake it if we try hard enough. We start by learning to see the world as it really is.
                            What are you talking about FF? Of course they are natural - have you ever watched how higher primates act? The alpha males control and dominate - take what they want from the weaker members - food or females.

Comment

What are you talking about FF? Of course they are natural - have you ever watched how higher primates act? The alpha males control and dominate - take what they want from the weaker members - food or females.
                              I would say that you need to think about the difference between things that occur naturally (without our intervention) and things that are created by human beings and human society. What we make we should not relinquish control over – but we have and that is our hell.

Comment

I would say that you need to think about the difference between things that occur naturally (without our intervention) and things that are created by human beings and human society. What we make we should not relinquish control over – but we have and that is our hell.
                                FF, there is nothing unnatural. Human beings and the societies they create are nature, we are nature. Again, we are not doing anything, in kind, that the higher primates don't do. I mean chimpanzees will murder each other. If we create hell, then it is our nature to create hell.

Comment