Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ban The I-Word?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the word "illegal" be banned in other contexts as well? In general, is it offensive to call illegal behavior "illegal"?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
      As the article explains, some people use the term in cruel, dehumanizing ways--essentially why the n-word is so terrible. You can argue that the magnitude is different, but the usage isn't that dissimilar.

So what if some used the word in a "dehumanizing" way, it fits and it is accurate. Almost any word can be used that way - "you know that seer, he is one of those 'Italians'." And how long before the liberal whack jobs decide that "undocumented immigrants" is being use in an dehumanizing way?
      Last edited by seer; 07-07-2014, 11:40 AM.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Citizenship laws of the accepting country versus moving within the sovereign borders of a country.
        amen button

Comment

The Old Testament directly addresses the issue of immigration on a number of occasions, actually. The findings may be surprising to some.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            The Old Testament directly addresses the issue of immigration on a number of occasions, actually. The findings may be surprising to some.
            Are you referring to the one law applying equally to the Jew and the Foreigner? or do you have some other circumstance in mind?
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              Are you referring to the one law applying equally to the Jew and the Foreigner? or do you have some other circumstance in mind?
              That and the Deuteronomical/Exodus prohibitions against oppressing foreigners. However, I know of one OT professor who distinguishes in a manner similar to the modern categories of legal/illegal: http://www.crossway.org/blog/2010/06...testament-law/
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

As the article explains, some people use the term in cruel, dehumanizing ways--essentially why the n-word is so terrible. You can argue that the magnitude is different, but the usage isn't that dissimilar.
                Blacks have no choice in the color of their skin, people crossing borders illegally make that choice.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Blacks have no choice in the color of their skin, people crossing borders undocumentedly make that choice.
                  Fixed it for ya.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

One important distinction is that one can be critical of a country's immigration policy yet still believe that the existing law should nonetheless be followed. That's where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      One important distinction is that one can be critical of a country's immigration policy yet still believe that the existing law should nonetheless be followed. That's where I am.
                      Wuss.
                      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        Some people use the term "teabaggers" in a cruel and dehumanizing way. Heck, some people use "Conservative" in a cruel and dehumanizing way...
                        From the article:

someone tweeted at me: "How about you donate 100% of your $ to help poor American children & not illegals" -- as though American kids are worthy and deserving and undocumented immigrant kids are not.

Another tweeted: "Stop disease from coming into the US. Build the wall!" -- again, not a humane reaction but an us-versus-them mindset that reduces immigrants to a public health threat.

When I tweeted that I was "consistently troubled by [the] number of people who seem to feel more compassion toward puppies on the Internet than undocumented humans," among the many blistering replies I received was, "Do the internet puppies have scabies...?" Other responses compared undocumented immigrants to "invaders" and "child abusers."
                        Do insults regarding the Tea Party or Republican Party really compare to that?

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        Should the word "illegal" be banned in other contexts as well? In general, is it offensive to call illegal behavior "illegal"?
                        Of course not, nor did anyone ever suggest that. The author has no problem with the word "illegal." She simply has a problem with it being used to refer to foreign immigrants. Besides, there is a significant difference (at least in tone) between saying "What should the government do about those illegal immigrants" and "What should the government do about those illegals?"

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        So what if some used the word in a "dehumanizing" way, it fits and it is accurate.
                        And the n-word derives from "negro," which describes the skin color of the people to whom the n-word was directed. But if you use the word, point out that fact and say "So who cares if it's dehumanizing, it fits and is accurate"--well, that's not going to fly as an excuse.

Almost any word can be used that way - "you know that seer, he is one of those 'Italians'."
                        Let's suppose it's true that almost ANY word can be used that way. What's your point? That because other words can also be used to hurt and dehumanize people, we shouldn't care?

And how long before the liberal whack jobs decide that "undocumented immigrants" is being use in an dehumanizing way?
                        Why do you assume these people are politically liberal? Also, please read the above quote from the article that shows exactly how some people are using the word "illegals." Why do you think people are crazy for not wanting to refer to immigrants in such an offensive way?
                        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by Omniskeptical View Post
                          And I think . . .
                          Come on and stop lying.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                            I asked a should question... why have arbitrary distinctions like that?
                            What is arbitrary about national borders?
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I think that is a good point since it is only conservatives and opponents of illegal immigration who use denigrating language.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                                Wuss.
                                However...

I have to say I don't get how so much of the brunt of the ire is aimed at the kids who had no choice in what their parents did. (Not only the current controversy, but the whole "anchor babies" slur). It's not like they consciously chose to break US law.

Comment