Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gay Activist Anti-Protest Turns Violent....and Disgusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Then the question stands, although I will modify it slightly, Mr Wants to be a Lawyer - is it healthy or wise to self-identify according to a predilection that, unchecked, leads to sin?

And yes, Mr. Semantics, there is a difference between identification and predilection. We all have some predilection or other; very few of us use that to identify who we are. Your obsession with complex argumentation doesn't define you as a person (does make arguing with you occasionally annoying! ); despite what Sparky thinks, my love of cats doesn't tell you who I am (one more 'cat lady' comment and I'm shipping him a full, used litter box parcel post!); why should a sexual predilection define a person?
    Does that comment have to come from Sparko himself?

Comment

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX crazy Alabamastani cat lady XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

crazy Alabamastani cat lady XXXXXXX crazy Alabamastani cat lady XXXXXXX crazy Alabamastani cat lady XXXXXXX crazy Alabamastani cat lady
      crazy Alabamastani cat lady XXXXXXX crazy Alabamastani cat lady XXXXXXX crazy Alabamastani cat lady XXXXXXX crazy Alabamastani cat lady

I know. I know
      Always still in trouble again

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I know. I know
        Thinking the same thing I was eh?

Comment

But 'attraction' isn't a sin, now is it? Being tempted, no matter how much, isn't sinning; ACTING on that temptation by succumbing to it is sin.
          I agree, and I think it's a distinction that's worth making.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Thinking the same thing I was eh?
            Shhh. No need for you to get in trouble too.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I know. I know

I hope you weren't planning on being able to sit down this week.... Now, bend over...
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
                Got it. Thank you both.
                No prob.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                  It is worthwhile to have people who identify as gay without trying to fulfill those desires if only as a necessary counter-witness to the culture that can't comprehend that such a person might 1. exist 2. be basically happy and 3. have an array of deep and fulfilling non-sexual relationships
                  I think that point has merit but if the person subsequently falls into that sin (if, not necessarily will) then the witness is lost and if anything, it's worse. I suspect the chances of acting on our predilections increase when we think of ourselves in terms of our predilections.

Behavior often follows self-identity - so I think the stronger case can be made against using our predilections as our self-identifiers.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Shhh. No need for you to get in trouble too.
                    When was he out of trouble?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I think that point has merit but if the person subsequently falls into that sin (if, not necessarily will) then the witness is lost and if anything, it's worse. I suspect the chances of acting on our predilections increase when we think of ourselves in terms of our predilections.

Behavior often follows self-identity - so I think the stronger case can be made against using our predilections as our self-identifiers.
                      The witness of such a person, even if they fail, is better by far than the people who argue that same-sex attractions are things that can and should be cured, claim to be cured, and then abandon spouse and family in order to pursue the supposedly cured attractions.
                      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

The witness of such a person, even if they fail, is better by far than the people who argue that same-sex attractions are things that can and should be cured, claim to be cured, and then abandon spouse and family in order to pursue the supposedly cured attractions.
                        Irrelevant. Even if I granted it, what does that have to do with self-identifying as homosexual possibly being unwise or unhealthy? My argument wasn't based on witness - yours was. It really doesn't matter since treatment wasn't even at issue.

Now, how is a failed witness better for the person? Is it more likely (as I suspect) that such identification leads to failure or less (as presumably you will argue) and if so, why?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Irrelevant. Even if I granted it, what does that have to do with self-identifying as homosexual possibly being unwise or unhealthy? My argument wasn't based on witness - yours was. It really doesn't matter since treatment wasn't even at issue.

Now, how is a failed witness better for the person? Is it more likely (as I suspect) that such identification leads to failure or less (as presumably you will argue) and if so, why?
                          The first person is at least more acquainted with a God who uses suffering as a way to purify us, while the "cured" person has only ever followed a god who enables them to follow their passions. Which of them is closer to the truth? Which of them is more prepared to see their failure as a moral one and not a technical one?
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Well, if we can only assume a person is homosexual by personal admission, why can't we accept that a person is ex-homosexual by personal admission? Seems like a double standard, to me.

If, as some people claim, ex-gays are all homosexuals just repressing their homosexuality, I could just turn that around and claim that all homosexuals are just heterosexuals repressing their heterosexuality.

Off-topic, but this thread is off-topic already, so, why not?
                            Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Is he a practicing homosexual or a celibate one?
                              What does it matter? Read all about gay Christians here:
                              https://www.gaychristian.net/aboutgcn.php

My sensus divinitatus is telling me that God says it’s okay to be gay and He’s really miffed that all that anti-gay junk got into the book. He says it’s time for a fresh look.
                              Last edited by firstfloor; 06-25-2014, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                What does it matter?
                                Because it is the difference between engaging in a sinful behavior and not engaging in it.

Read all about gay Christians here:
                                https://www.gaychristian.net/aboutgcn.php
                                No. If you have a point, make it here.

My sensus divinitatus is telling me that God says it’s okay to be gay and He’s really miffed that all that anti-gay junk got into the book. He says it’s time for a fresh look.
                                Do you have proof that it wasn't intended to be "in the book"? Or is it more of your blovating?
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment