Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pastor Defies State Orders...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of an update here. As I watch this case progress, I am getting reminded how sometimes the greatest threat to civil liberties is the government. Since the county is now 0-3 in court trying to keep the church closed, the county has given 30 day notice they are terminating a lease on land the church uses for parking. The lease has run for almost 50 years. It's hard to see this as anything but retaliation from the county since they can't get a court ruling in their favor.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2020/08/...ing-lot-lease/

I think this has gotten very personal for the county officials and they are out to win anyway they can. I wonder how much erosion of our civil liberties is happening, almost unnoticed, because of Covid-19. Many people suddenly got emergency powers and how many will willing give them up. I won't be surprised if 3 or 4 years from now, some people are still using Covid-19 powers because the authorization was never revoked. As a sort of parallel example, we're still under a national state of emergency that was enacted in 1979 under Carter.

As a side note, I tried to find an article on CNN about this. The best I could come with was about 2 weeks old. I guess I'm not surprised. Since this is Democrats going after a church, the optics can do no good for Biden. To keep, you have to go to right wing media or local news.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• I've suggested a 7000 person peaceful sit-in in the parking lot on October 01. I'd like to see the county take possession of THAT property!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        I've suggested a 7000 person peaceful sit-in in the parking lot on October 01. I'd like to see the county take possession of THAT property!
        People will have to go home sometime, then they will take it over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          People will have to go home sometime, then they will take it over.
          Portapotties! Tents! OCCUPY PARKING LOT!!!! Let's see the gubmint take on these PEACEFUL PROTESTERS!!!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Well, the lawyers are on top of things, and they have a month before the "confiscation" of any property left in the lot, so a lot can happen between now and then.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Portapotties! Tents! OCCUPY PARKING LOT!!!! Let's see the gubmint take on these PEACEFUL PROTESTERS!!!
              They can create the GCAZ.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                A bit of an update here. As I watch this case progress, I am getting reminded how sometimes the greatest threat to civil liberties is the government. Since the county is now 0-3 in court trying to keep the church closed, the county has given 30 day notice they are terminating a lease on land the church uses for parking. The lease has run for almost 50 years. It's hard to see this as anything but retaliation from the county since they can't get a court ruling in their favor.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2020/08/...ing-lot-lease/

I think this has gotten very personal for the county officials and they are out to win anyway they can. I wonder how much erosion of our civil liberties is happening, almost unnoticed, because of Covid-19. Many people suddenly got emergency powers and how many will willing give them up. I won't be surprised if 3 or 4 years from now, some people are still using Covid-19 powers because the authorization was never revoked. As a sort of parallel example, we're still under a national state of emergency that was enacted in 1979 under Carter.

As a side note, I tried to find an article on CNN about this. The best I could come with was about 2 weeks old. I guess I'm not surprised. Since this is Democrats going after a church, the optics can do no good for Biden. To keep, you have to go to right wing media or local news.
                This could be another dimension in the action against the county. It is another action of the county's discrimination against the church. It is not legit to use eviction by the state to compel the church to actions, as a way to circumvent the courts. The state is almost always the main culprit in taking away the freedom of the people -- because the state is, by its nature, actions of force.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  They can create the GCAZ.
                  But instead of nightly riots, there would be nightly revivals!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But instead of nightly riots, there would be nightly revivals!
                    'Cept the governor doesn't even want that particular church to hold OUTDOOR services. They are so out to get GCC and Johnny Mac. It's blatant discrimination.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      'Cept the governor doesn't even want that particular church to hold OUTDOOR services. They are so out to get GCC and Johnny Mac. It's blatant discrimination.
                      But think of the photo-op... would the authorities really move in and arrest Christians while they were "having church"?

Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if they did, but what a testimony for Christ, and a REVEAL for what slimeballs these politicians are.

Comment

• Can we rename the thread to State Defies Church Orders?

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          Can we rename the thread to State Defies Church Orders?
                          🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'....
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'....
                            Better is State Defies God's Orders.

Comment

But think of the photo-op... would the authorities really move in and arrest Christians while they were "having church"?

Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if they did, but what a testimony for Christ, and a REVEAL for what slimeballs these politicians are.
                              The LAPD already favors Grace Church and would do nothing to harm them. 5 years ago John preached a sermon calling them ministers of God for restraining evil, which they rather enjoyed. And many times over the last year, the church helped out with the police. (I forget how exactly, but mossy would remember. ) My point is that if it were to come to it, the police would have a very difficult time even wanting to arrest any of them.
                              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                                The LAPD already favors Grace Church and would do nothing to harm them. 5 years ago John preached a sermon calling them ministers of God for restraining evil, which they rather enjoyed. And many times over the last year, the church helped out with the police. (I forget how exactly, but mossy would remember. ) My point is that if it were to come to it, the police would have a very difficult time even wanting to arrest any of them.
                                I don't remember all the church have done for the police specifically, except the time just a few months ago when a large donation of orchids was given the church and they handed out 5400 of them to hospital workers and first responders.

https://www.gracechurch.org/news/posts/1949

I do remember that service where the church was full of police, and their resonse was very appreciative of the words from John.

Here is the link to the sermon if anybody is interested.

https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-...l-in-the-world

MacArthur said in an interview on Fox that he had been told by the police that it was very doubtful there would be any arrests made regarding the church remaining open, since the police are there to uphold the law, and the church is not breaking any laws. Department of health orders and hissy fits by the governor are not laws.

Parking lot sit ins might be a different story, but I believe the lease cancellation is certainly illegal.

Can you believe the church pays $100 grand a year for those parking spaces? That's crazy anyway!

Comment