Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

An actual use of gaslighting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    She is Secretary of the National Libertarian Party and LNC and Platform Committee Chair

And an anarchist.

Libertarians want no government at all and to privatize everything. Even the police force. Each neighborhood would essentially contract with a private police force and pay them to protect them. Kinda like a subdivision contracts garbage pickup outside of the city.

They can't explain how they would actually keep the "police" from just taking over their neighborhoods and becoming their warlord.
    OK, so I only know NICE libertarians. My police captain was one back in the day.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      OK, so I only know NICE libertarians. My police captain was one back in the day.
      I think Jed was one. But they have gone really left since the last election. Or maybe there are people out there who are just against big government and think they are Libertarian, but never checked into all the way. Or maybe there are two different Libertarians.

they sound reasonable until you dig deeper.

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      As a Libertarian (minarchist) I support the this post. Too much libertarianism is just anarchy. Without the state nothing can last.
      Last edited by Sparko; 06-15-2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        I've never met any of those. And the only time I ever hear Ayn Rand mentioned online it is in connection with abortion.
        I've met several who are so unhinged they think taxation is outright theft, and this makes it morally right to evade taxes (even with illegal means).

I'm sure you've met plenty of crazy liberals though. All sides have their extremes. I just haven't met any moderate libertarians yet. Didn't even know that was a thing. I'm glad it is.

I haven't been around long enough to really judge, but you seem to be the most laid back. ... I call myself a "pragmatic libertarian" because I realize the world is in competition.
        Well, I think I like you. I'm a pragmatic liberal.

That means I grudgingly have to allow the federal government to intervene in things I normally would oppose. Like education. If through incentivization it can foster greater education for US citizens, then I think it should. Because not doing so when other nations are can mean slipping economically. And we are slipping because something is screwed up. What exactly, I don't know. But the US is becoming a nation of numbskulls and it is scary. It also may become necessary for the feds to intervene and get fiber optic lines laid - just to keep up with a modern world. The feds had given tax breaks for AT&T to lay them but that rotten company just gave the savings to its shareholders.

But back to small government, federal agencies like BATF, DEA, Agency for International Development, Homeland Security, Labor, Agriculture, Personnel Management, Management & Budget, Equal Opportunity, Institute of Health, USGS, Park Service, and several others are bureaucratic nightmares that waste money and interfere in peoples' lives. They should either be eliminated or downsized and combined. Anything that local government can accomplish should be done at that level.

Follow the Constitution. Make amendments where necessary.
        I have some opinions on that, as I'm sure you'd expect, but in general this is a lot less cray cray, even downright reasonable. I disagree with it, but it's a disagreement with a different position that makes some sense.

I won't debate this here. Thank you for posting this

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          This is a good policy worthy of emulation.
          I don't know I've met plenty of "pious" Christians (not you - you're genuine) who thought Christians can only say positive things about each other. And if they're downcast they're supposed to smile and "manifest that inner joy" etc. Made me wanna bash their guitar in on their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I don't know I've met plenty of "pious" Christians (not you - you're genuine) who thought Christians can only say positive things about each other. And if they're downcast they're supposed to smile and "manifest that inner joy" etc. Made me wanna bash their guitar in on their heads.
            I was kidding you, Leon --- it's like when somebody says "well, to tell the truth"... I wanna ask, "wait, you mean you have NOT been up to now?"

One of those dumb things we routinely say. "To be perfectly honest....." as opposed to....?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think Jed was one. But they have gone really left since the last election. Or maybe there are people out there who are just against big government and think they are Libertarian, but never checked into all the way. Or maybe there are two different Libertarians.

they sound reasonable until you dig deeper.
              Hopefully (to the bold part). I've been a registered Libertarian since 1992, and I've never been an anarchist. I've never known any fellow Libertarians who are either.

The best example of a "libertarian" on the scene is Rand Paul. He's a registered Republican but every Libertarian I know votes for him. He espouses our ideals quite well, maybe 95% of the time.

Comment

I've met several who are so unhinged they think taxation is outright theft, and this makes it morally right to evade taxes (even with illegal means).

I'm sure you've met plenty of crazy liberals though. All sides have their extremes. I just haven't met any moderate libertarians yet. Didn't even know that was a thing. I'm glad it is.
                If you are truly curious, you may familiarize yourself with the voting record and speeches made by Senator Rand Paul. He is a registered Republican but he (perhaps unwittingly) represents Libertarians almost to the letter. Most liberals hate him, and some Republicans do as well.

Well, I think I like you. I'm a pragmatic liberal.
                Nothing wrong with pragmatism.

I have some opinions on that, as I'm sure you'd expect, but in general this is a lot less cray cray, even downright reasonable. I disagree with it, but it's a disagreement with a different position that makes some sense.

I won't debate this here. Thank you for posting this
                Okie

Comment

Hopefully (to the bold part). I've been a registered Libertarian since 1992, and I've never been an anarchist. I've never known any fellow Libertarians who are either.

The best example of a "libertarian" on the scene is Rand Paul. He's a registered Republican but every Libertarian I know votes for him. He espouses our ideals quite well, maybe 95% of the time.
                  I am guessing you have never been to a Libertarian national convention.

Comment

I am guessing you have never been to a Libertarian national convention.
                    No. I've never been to any political convention.

Comment

No. I've never been to any political convention.
                      well this happened.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...c-span-n582501

Comment

well this happened.
                        Ewww! Well, he lost his bid and went home.

I realize Libertarians are a bit whacko; lots of potheads and militia groups in there. Every party has their nuts.

Comment

I realize Libertarians are a bit whacko; lots of potheads and militia groups in there. Every party has their nuts.
                          Oh those two groups you mention I only find the militia groups gross.

Comment

Ewww! Well, he lost his bid and went home.

And their poopers.

Comment

Oh those two groups you mention I only find the militia groups gross.
                              There are some gun-toting militia members in my area. They look scarier than they actually are. The ones I've spoken to are pleasant people.

We also have Amish out here and they look odd too, but are really nice.

dsfg.jpg

Comment

I'm gonna assume he was trying to show that he had nothing to hide even though he probably should.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment