Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

An actual use of gaslighting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, never got that impression.

Not my understanding at all of what a libertarian is, but I've been wrong before!
    I mean it's the whole point of Ayn Rand's Fountainhead book and she more or less founded the movement of objectivist libertarians.

Seasteading: How Floating Nations Will Restore the Environment, Enrich the Poor, Cure the Sick, and Liberate Humanity from Politicians

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      I mean it's the whole point of Ayn Rand's Fountainhead book and she more or less founded the movement of objectivist libertarians.

Seasteading: How Floating Nations Will Restore the Environment, Enrich the Poor, Cure the Sick, and Liberate Humanity from Politicians
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's the only impression I've ever had of libertarians, a bunch of fish, in a fish-tank, complaining about the water filter.
        Libertarian (generally speaking): Fiscally conservative and socially liberal. That usually amounts to government trickle down. Anything/everything that can be handled locally, should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          Libertarian (generally speaking): Fiscally conservative and socially liberal. That usually amounts to government trickle down. Anything/everything that can be handled locally, should be.
          You let me know when a country where the government only provides postal service and an army actually works.

Comment

You let me know when a country where the government only provides postal service and an army actually works.
            That, of course, is a purposeful over-generalization. As opposed to "being in my bedroom", controlling what I do IN MY HOUSE, etc...
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That, of course, is a purposeful over-generalization. As opposed to "being in my bedroom", controlling what I do IN MY HOUSE, etc...
              I was just quoting you.

Originally posted by Cow Poke
              "I think the Government ought to deliver our mail, defend our shores, and LEAVE US ALONE!!!!"

Comment

I was just quoting you.
                I was clearly quoting Eddie Chiles - he was a very colorful individual.
                So you were quoting me quoting him.

Comment

I don't know of any Libertarians who believe that. Libertarians aren't extremists.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                    I don't know of any Libertarians who believe that. Libertarians aren't extremists.
                    I have to be honest, that's the only impression I've had of libertarians online. Fantasies about ultra-minimalist governments, and hero worship of Ayn Rand. I'm sorry for being frank, but the tone on this forum when it comes to my political philosophies are even harsher. I'm just honest with you. My impression of libertarianists are mainly from randroids, citing John Galt, buying over-priced gold on fraudulent websites, having fantasies about seasteading, and getting involved in weird tax schemes.

And those are the sane ones I've met.

But then again apparently I'm the only sane liberal people here on tweb have met, so it goes to show that it's possible to only meet "the weirdos".

What would you change about government then and what distinguishes you from a run-of-the-mill conservative politically?

Comment

I have to be honest, that's the only impression I've had of libertarians online. Fantasies about ultra-minimalist governments, and hero worship of Ayn Rand. I'm sorry for being frank, but the tone on this forum when it comes to my political philosophies are even harsher. I'm just honest with you. My impression of libertarianists are mainly from randroids, citing John Galt, buying over-priced gold on fraudulent websites, having fantasies about seasteading, and getting involved in weird tax schemes.

And those are the sane ones I've met.
                      I've never met any of those. And the only time I ever hear Ayn Rand mentioned online it is in connection with abortion.

But then again apparently I'm the only sane liberal people here on tweb have met, so it goes to show that it's possible to only meet "the weirdos".
                      I haven't been around long enough to really judge, but you seem to be the most laid back.

What would you change about government then and what distinguishes you from a run-of-the-mill conservative politically?
                      I call myself a "pragmatic libertarian" because I realize the world is in competition. That means I grudgingly have to allow the federal government to intervene in things I normally would oppose. Like education. If through incentivization it can foster greater education for US citizens, then I think it should. Because not doing so when other nations are can mean slipping economically. And we are slipping because something is screwed up. What exactly, I don't know. But the US is becoming a nation of numbskulls and it is scary. It also may become necessary for the feds to intervene and get fiber optic lines laid - just to keep up with a modern world. The feds had given tax breaks for AT&T to lay them but that rotten company just gave the savings to its shareholders.

But back to small government, federal agencies like BATF, DEA, Agency for International Development, Homeland Security, Labor, Agriculture, Personnel Management, Management & Budget, Equal Opportunity, Institute of Health, USGS, Park Service, and several others are bureaucratic nightmares that waste money and interfere in peoples' lives. They should either be eliminated or downsized and combined. Anything that local government can accomplish should be done at that level.

Follow the Constitution. Make amendments where necessary.

Comment

I'm sure it's more than that, after all, you don't want each state enacting treaties and trade agreements nor printing their own money for instance.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have to be honest,...
                          This is a good policy worthy of emulation.

Comment

OK, never got that impression.

Not my understanding at all of what a libertarian is, but I've been wrong before!
                            Have you met Dee Dee?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Have you met Dee Dee?

I don't think "libertarian" was her problem.

But, no, I have not.

Comment

I don't think "libertarian" was her problem.

But, no, I have not.
                                She is Secretary of the National Libertarian Party and LNC and Platform Committee Chair

And an anarchist.

Libertarians want no government at all and to privatize everything. Even the police force. Each neighborhood would essentially contract with a private police force and pay them to protect them. Kinda like a subdivision contracts garbage pickup outside of the city.

They can't explain how they would actually keep the "police" from just taking over their neighborhoods and becoming their warlord.

Comment