Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund Police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
    If this is true, you'd have to admit the ship has been being steered by the extremists at the other end of the spectrum for several years now...
    That one side goes to a far extreme does NOT mean that the other side has been there.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Start by cutting funding for armored military vehicles that the police seems to need.
      Those are usually provided to police departments from federal grants -- there is no local "funding" for such.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Looks like money wasted that could have gone to better and more productive things, like training their police.
        Yeah, like I said - those are generally war surplus provided to Police Departments by grants, not local funding.

And ours became very valuable a couple years ago in the "Memorial Day Flood" in which they were able to traverse high water and rescue numerous citizens from vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Those are usually provided to police departments from federal grants -- there is no local "funding" for such.
          Still think the money could be better used if they sold it, and spent the money on something more sensible.

I don't imagine that federal grant came with money for training, fuel consumption or maintainance did it?

Comment

Looks like money wasted that could have gone to better and more productive things, like training their police.
            They get them very cheap. Military auctions and grants.

Comment

Still think the money could be better used if they sold it, and spent the money on something more sensible.

I don't imagine that federal grant came with money for training, fuel consumption or maintainance did it?
              Sold it to who? Do you want private citizens driving around in armored vehicles?

Comment

Still think the money could be better used if they sold it,
                To whom would they sell it? The grant would require it be transferred to a military or law enforcement applicant.

and spent the money on something more sensible.
                That would be a fight with the feds, not local jurisdictions.

To some degree, yes. But, quite honestly, our department received one, and it didn't take long to realize this thing is a BEAST, and only usable for things like raids on meth houses and, like I said, rescues in floods and natural disasters. God forbid we never have to use it in a riot situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Sold it to who? Do you want private citizens driving around in armored vehicles?
                  [*Ears perk up at the sound of opportunity*]

Hmm

I bet I could talk Master Po into buying one... and if I get one as well... maybe we'll get two and get a better deal!

And I know what I'd do with my tank cantwait.gif

skeet2.gif
                  And you just know I'd be cooking up some bacon on the engine or exhaust

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The insane thought process going on in the heads of liberals is that if you take the money you would spend on maintaining a police force and instead spend it on social programs that (at least in theory) improve people's lives, then the need for law enforcement agencies will magically vanish, and we'll all get to live in a crime-free utopia.

As computer pioneer Charles Babbage once said, "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such an idea."
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I wonder how all this will square with the pro-gun control movement. How can you advocate for no police and no means to protect your property and yourself at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        To whom would they sell it? The grant would require it be transferred to a military or law enforcement applicant.
                        This is a good point. I'd sell it as scrap metal. That's at least 2600$ in that case, plus the cost of all the gasoline and maintainence you won't be paying for.

God forbid we never have to use it in a riot situation.
                        Just watch the videos, police have already been overly violent in disbanding peaceful protest.

Which is a perfectly good enough reason to take away toys like this from them.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          I wonder how all this will square with the pro-gun control movement. How can you advocate for no police and no means to protect your property and yourself at the same time?
                          The NRA are quiet.

Comment

The NRA are quiet.
                            Maybe they're too busy handling new membership requests from Minnesota.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              A disarmed citizenry is a compliant citizenry.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That would be a fight with the feds, not local jurisdictions.

To some degree, yes. But, quite honestly, our department received one, and it didn't take long to realize this thing is a BEAST, and only usable for things like raids on meth houses and, like I said, rescues in floods and natural disasters. God forbid we never have to use it in a riot situation.
                                Seems like it would come in handy during these violent demonstrations we are seeing right now too.

...or the zombie apocalypse.

Comment