Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can Anyone Find Evidence Of This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Those examples were provided because they were both amusing and had undeniable images. But if you want more serious examples, how about we start with NBC's deliberate doctoring of George Zimmerman's 911 call? You know, the one that they intentionally altered in order to make the "white Hispanic" Zimmerman look racist.
    Zimmerman was racist (or at least looking to kill) but thank you for doing MM and "Sparko"'s work for them. That edit sounds problematic and unnecessary. I'm puzzled why they would do that since it was a certainty they'd get caught. I hope the responsible party was punished. But again, in this major news story they got caught and caught right away. Like I said, it's hard to get away with stuff like this on big news stories.

Keep in mind that in 2000 a survey was conducted of 300 journalists and news executives by the Pew Research Center and Columbia Journalism Review which revealed

About one-quarter of the local and national journalists say they have purposely avoided newsworthy stories, while nearly as many acknowledge they have softened the tone of stories to benefit the interests of their news organizations. Fully four-in-ten (41%) admit they have engaged in either or both of these practices

And that was 20 years ago when some parts of the MSM still at least pretended to present a non-agenda driven news.
    It makes me sad that that number is so high but I don't know how you'd (easily) avoid it though. You don't seriously expect a news organization to aggressively pursue stories which make their own employer look bad, do you? E.g. I doubt FLC did much reporting on their sexual harassment scandals.

I think this particular problem *could* be solved but I don't know how using "conservative" solutions (e.g. I think UBI could help).

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
      More lies from you. I showed how what you did fits the definition of a claim and I mean of course it does. Are you suggesting that any single word I don't reproduce from a link into a post is one I can deny "claiming"? That's absurd.
      The mental and linguistic gymnastics you use to rationalize your false accusation are almost impressive.
      Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-07-2020, 01:02 PM.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        The mental and linguistic gymnastics you use to rationalize your false accusation are almost impressive.
        Should we trust official statements from the Park Police? Stop dodging the question liar.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
          No, it would be far, far worse to claim to have found a used tear gas cartridge when that wasn't true. If everything is an outrage then nothing is an outrage.
          To you maybe. But TV News critters are all about the narrative. They don't care about the unfettered truth, they want to sell a story. They will do just about anything to dramatize it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            To you maybe. But TV News critters are all about the narrative. They don't care about the unfettered truth, they want to sell a story. They will do just about anything to dramatize it.
            It must be very exhausting to live in a world where you can't trust a single media source to be honest then. Glad that's not me.

Comment

It must be very exhausting to live in a world where you can't trust a single media source to be honest then. Glad that's not me.
              They trust some parts of the Bible some of the time.

Comment

Yes, much easier to just uncritically believe everything they feed you like a good little sheep.

Comment

Yes, much easier to just uncritically believe everything they feed you like a good little sheep.
                  You can't possibly justify that statement in regards to me "Sparko." Shameful.

Comment

You can't possibly justify that statement in regards to me "Sparko." Shameful.
                    You are the one complaining how exhausting questioning the MSM is.

Comment

You are the one complaining how exhausting questioning the MSM is.
                      You said this

A plain reading of the text indicates that you don't implicitly trust anything coming from the MSM. That sounds like a very exhausting way to go through life. It doesn't mean you don't look more closely.

Comment

You said this

A plain reading of the text indicates that you don't implicitly trust anything coming from the MSM. That sounds like a very exhausting way to go through life. It doesn't mean you don't look more closely.
                        I don't "trust" everything put out by the MSM. Anything that seems to be pushing an agenda, I will try to investigate. The MSM (especially in this age of 24/7 cable news) has agendas. Both sides do. Both sides will exaggerate stories to put their narratives, and leave out bits that don't fit their narrative. It is why you think Brietbart is untrustworthy. It is why you don't trust Fox. Do you think that your side doesn't do the same thing? Of course they do.

Again, if they used tear gas, why weren't the police using gas masks? Were they just stupid and gassed themselves? Why weren't they keeling over choking then?

You should be able to show video of them using the tear gas and wearing masks. In this age of everyone filming everything, why isn't there any video of that? Because there isn't, I doubt the veracity of the news story you posted. They could be lying or they could have just found an old canister. I am willing to change my mind if you could produce any supporting evidence such as the video I mention above.

Comment

I don't "trust" everything put out by the MSM. Anything that seems to be pushing an agenda, I will try to investigate. The MSM (especially in this age of 24/7 cable news) has agendas. Both sides do. Both sides will exaggerate stories to put their narratives, and leave out bits that don't fit their narrative. It is why you think Brietbart is untrustworthy. It is why you don't trust Fox. Do you think that your side doesn't do the same thing? Of course they do.

Again, if they used tear gas, why weren't the police using gas masks? Were they just stupid and gassed themselves? Why weren't they keeling over choking then?
                          Again, by the Park Police's own admission *some* cops did have gas masks. You can also find pictures of some cops wearing them.

I don't know enough about police tactics to fully comment on this. I would imagine that for a crowd control operation such as this you don't intend for every police office to wade into the gas after it is deployed (as you saw the crowd immediately scattered). Perhaps you just *need* a handful of cops to advance the line and push back any stragglers / protestors who actually brought gas masks themselves. I'm not an expert in crowd control and I agree that some explanation is warranted. But a single unanswered question does necessarily overcome the positive evidence we *do* have.

You should be able to show video of them using the tear gas and wearing masks.
                          We have video of them deploying gas and we have pictures (maybe video, haven't looked) and a Park Police statement that some cops had gas masks.

In this age of everyone filming everything, why isn't there any video of that? Because there isn't, I doubt the veracity of the news story you posted. They could be lying or they could have just found an old canister.
                          Are you really suggesting that there are used tear gas canisters just lying around in the middle of the street near the White House? Really?

I am willing to change my mind if you could produce any supporting evidence such as the video I mention above.
                          Do you remember earlier in the thread when you insisted that the protestors were violent and had pre-positioned weapons? Why don't you require pictures and video of that? Why the double standard?

Comment

• https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1270061356805283841

The White House has no regrets for how the protestors were cleared from Lafeyette Park. Proudly standing behind a brutal assault on Australian Press who identified themselves as such is a surefire way to win moderates to your side.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1270061356805283841

The White House has no regrets for how the protestors were cleared from Lafeyette Park. Proudly standing behind a brutal assault on Australian Press who identified themselves as such is a surefire way to win moderates to your side.
                              Throwing frozen water bottles and other projectiles at the police is PEaceful? give me a breaK. or are you like cuomo on CNN and say the Constitution not withstanding protest are allowed to be violent.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                                Throwing frozen water bottles and other projectiles at the police is PEaceful? give me a breaK. or are you like cuomo on CNN and say the Constitution not withstanding protest are allowed to be violent.
                                Show me evidence that frozen water bottles were thrown and then we can talk. Perhaps Mountain Man can help you find it.

Comment