Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

He was chased. That's a fact. "Violently chased" is your interpretation of the facts and not a fact itself.
    Any chase by an automobile or truck where the individual being chased is struck in the process is a violent chase in my book. Given the chase continued after he was struck, all the more so.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

And in the end, it doesn't matter. Because he was chased down and gunned down by vigilantes that did not have real access to this information. And even if they had, it still would not have been justified, and more importantly, if was white, would have never happened.
      Except it does matter. It speaks to the fact that he was not there 'just jogging' or 'just refilling his water bottle'. He was there committing a crime. This time he got caught, tried to fight and threaten like he has in the past, and picked the wrong dudes to do it to, and wound up dead when he tried to grab someone's gun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

Speaking as a Lutheran, I think the videos are hilarious. (the ones I've seen, anyway).

Yeah, I've watched several, and usually I've found them to be pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
          There's no immediate knowledge that a crime is being committed.
          Trespassing is a crime.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Prior acts, including a crime that happened the night before, aren't grounds for citizen's arrest.
            Don't recall saying they were......

Comment

Any chase by an automobile or truck where the individual being chased is struck in the process is a violent chase in my book. Given the chase continued after he was struck, all the more so.
              Let's talk about the facts and not what's in your "book", okay?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Or being "deputized" by local law enforcement who told the property owner to call him first if there was more suspicious activity, since he could arrive sooner than a squad car.
                If Travis McMichael was deputized, that doesn't mean he could deputize others to aid him and it brings a higher standard of accountability of a death in custody (intentionally or non-intentionally) to bear. If anything, that opens the LEO agency to culpability.
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Trespassing is a crime.
                  It's not a felony. Nor was it known that he was criminally trespassing at the time of pursuit. The 9-1-1 call indicates the use of prior acts to reach the conclusion of a crime being committed which are outside the scope of the statute.
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Don't recall saying they were......
                    The court documents that you cite are citing prior criminal acts which are irrelevant to the use of citizen's arrest.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Also, Mountain Man routinely changes Starlight's name to Dimbulb, but mainly it's a Lutheran Satire reference.
                      I never changed someone's name. I might call them by something different -- usually a shortening of the name[1] Referred to you in a post as "Dio" not too long ago. Mountain Man is "MM."

1. an obvious exception is calling Cow Poke "the prodder of bovines" or Sparko "mangy pirate" -- or the both of 'em "nincompoopieheads"™ Although referring to the former as "cp" is an example of the shortening.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I never changed someone's name. I might call them by something different -- usually a shortening of the name[1] Referred to you in a post as "Dio" not too long ago. Mountain Man is "MM."

1. an obvious exception is calling Cow Poke "the prodder of bovines" or Sparko "mangy pirate" -- or the both of 'em "nincompoopieheads"™ Although referring to the former as "cp" is an example of the shortening.
                        The only time I ever do it is for the LS bit.
                        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

The court documents that you cite are citing prior criminal acts which are irrelevant to the use of citizen's arrest.
                          Don't recall saying anything about the use of citizen's arrest, let alone the relevancy of court documents wrt use of citizen's arrest.

Maybe you should go find whoever it is you're trying to have an argument with and post your posts to them, because you're clearly not posting to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Except it does matter. It speaks to the fact that he was not there 'just jogging' or 'just refilling his water bottle'. He was there committing a crime. This time he got caught, tried to fight and threaten like he has in the past, and picked the wrong dudes to do it to, and wound up dead when he tried to grab someone's gun.
                            No, he was there jogging and may have entered the premesis of a house under construction in the process. Nothing that could possiblly justify an armed and violent chase. And that would be true even if they had access to th information you posted, which AFAIK they did not.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No, he was there jogging and may have entered the premesis of a house under construction in the process. Nothing that could possiblly justify an armed and violent chase. And that would be true even if they had access to th information you posted, which AFAIK they did not.
                              No, he was there trespassing, as he had previously. He chose to respond violently and threateningly when he got caught, just like he has in the past (beyond the incidents in the court docs, we have footage of a previous encounter with the police where he became belligerent and threatening violence for no reason). Unfortunately for him, he chose to turn that violence and threatening on with someone who was armed, and wound up dead.

Comment

If Travis McMichael was deputized, that doesn't mean he could deputize others to aid him and it brings a higher standard of accountability of a death in custody (intentionally or non-intentionally) to bear. If anything, that opens the LEO agency to culpability.
                                Aside from telling the owner to call a private citizen (albeit a retired cop/sheriff IIRC) in regard to getting assistance with a legal/criminal issue, the first big mistake was the decision to bring the son along. AFAICT, you can bring someone else along as a driver only, but that wasn't the role the son held nor anyone following along.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment