Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Riiiiiight. It had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with his horrible policies and Executive Orders.

Using this logic the only reason that Obama constantly trashed his predecessors is because he was white. Or from Texas -- which is more understandable.
    Obama didn't personally attack his predecessors. I can't think of any President in my lifetime that has.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Bumping this question.
      Has it been concluded that the shotgun was ever trained on Arbery, or merely toted at the waist?
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I've been wondering about this. What's the actual law? Do you have a source? Because if that's true then any claim of self-defense goes out the window.
        Without a warrant, you may arrest anyone who commits a mis-demeanor or a felony in your presence or with your immediate knowledge. A citizen's arrest occurs when a citizen prevents a suspect from leaving a scene.

When making a citizen's arrest, a person may not use more force than is reasonable to make the arrest. Deadly force is limited to self-defense or to instances in which such force is necessary to prevent certain felonies.
        It must be stressed that the right of private citizens to make a citizen's arrest is limited. They cannot arrest people for violating local ordinances or regulations because these violations are not technically crimes as defined by state law. Therefore, as a private citizen, you would not have the authority to arrest a person who is creating a disturbance by making too much noise. In addition, a private person can only make a citizen's arrest for the purpose of bringing the suspect before a judicial officer

https://www.georgialegalaid.org/reso...-during-arrest

So, I guess the big questions will be how Georgia law defines immediate knowledge and how they allow for suspicion of committing a felony.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Has it been concluded that the shotgun was ever trained on Arbery, or merely toted at the waist?
          I watched the video carefully, and it looks like the gun was aimed at Arbery when he continued to approach after presumably being asked to stop. That's when Arbery veered to the right, ran around the truck, and attacked the man on the ground. It all went down in a matter of seconds. While we know now that Arbery wasn't armed, the McMichaels had no way of knowing that at the time, nor what his intentions were as he continued to approach.

So the question is, who provoked who? It's hard to say.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Except they likely didn't know he was unarmed at the time, and it appears the decision to pull the trigger was made only after Arbery attempted to wrestle the shotgun away.

I really don't know how this case is going to end up, but I will not be surprised if it's ruled self-defense.

Comment

You're right... it has nothing to do with any of the underhanded things Obama did during and after the election.
              As you and others have said to excuse Trump at least a hundred times, that's politics. Yet no other president before Trump tried so hard to denigrate and demean his predecessors. Before Trump, regardless of party, regardless of policy, Presidents regarded themselves as peers and at least publicly got a along and showed each other respect. But Trump, no Trump has to destroy everything related to Obama. And there is no reason for it, except some deep seated prejudice against him. And given who Trump is, and his reactions to things like charlottesville and endorsements by the KKK etc, the most likely explanation for that deep seated hatred and resentment is that Obama is black. The same reason some jerk down the road put up a billboard that made Obama look like a chimpanzee. I am at this point convinced that a large part of the hatred for Obama from the right came from its racist ranks and was fed by nothing other than racism. And Trump is now the leader in that pursuit.

Of course I can't prove it, and I'm not going to claim it is 'provable'. But that is what I believe is happening here. As I see it, there is no other reasonable explanation that can provide the engine for or the length and the depth of Trump's overt hatred of Obama.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Imminent danger.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Imminent danger.
                  I'd say two armed white men chasing down a black man with arms in hand is imminent danger.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    I'd say two armed white men chasing down a black man with arms in hand is imminent danger.
                    ... for the black man.

Given the 'supportive' atmosphere here for the chasers, it needs to be explicitly stated.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

...and it appears the decision to pull the trigger ....
                      A fine point of fact, here... it's possible there was no "decision to pull the trigger" --- many times, people will have their finger on the trigger (in TV cop shows, you always see the shooting finger STRAIGHT, alongside the weapon, and NOT on the trigger) and as things get more and more tense, the adrenaline flows, and your hands tighten - causing the trigger finger to contract and the weapon to discharge. NEVER place your finger on the trigger unless you fully intend to fire the weapon.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Just correcting the statement, Jim.

Comment

Just correcting the statement, Jim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            Bumping this question.
                            I would think so yes, but some laws are just really complicated.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Before Trump, regardless of party, regardless of policy, Presidents regarded themselves as peers and at least publicly got a along and showed each other respect.
                              You are inexcusably ignorant. Obama frequently took veiled, and in many cases not-so-veiled swipes at President Bush to the point that "Blame Bush" became a joke during Obama's two-terms in office.
                              Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-20-2020, 09:56 AM.

Comment

A fine point of fact, here... it's possible there was no "decision to pull the trigger" --- many times, people will have their finger on the trigger (in TV cop shows, you always see the shooting finger STRAIGHT, alongside the weapon, and NOT on the trigger) and as things get more and more tense, the adrenaline flows, and your hands tighten - causing the trigger finger to contract and the weapon to discharge. NEVER place your finger on the trigger unless you fully intend to fire the weapon.
                                And it's worth mentioning, again, that the gun wasn't fired until after Arbery attacked even though both men had a clear opportunity to shoot beforehand, so it's entirely possible that the fatal shot was an accidental discharge.

Comment