Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden's #metoo moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Hmmm? I actually haven't really paid attention to any of the attempts to smear her with irrelevant accusations. I mean, what's the logic here? She's accused of check fraud; therefore, Biden couldn't have assaulted her?
    The suggestion is that the firing was not due to her complaint concerning Biden's actions, but rather due to her having committed check fraud. Since she claims she was fired due to the accusation against Biden, if she was fired due to the latter and not the former, it raises the question about whether the former ever actually occurred, creating two possible scenarios:

1) Biden did what he is accused of, then the check fraud accusation was manufactured to use as an excuse to fire her.
    2) Reade was accused of check fraud and fired and then created the Biden situation out of whole cloth to explain her firing.

It seems to me that if the check fraud can be shown to be true, which should have a paper trail, it makes 2) far more likely than 1), especially in the absence of any "pattern of behavior" on the part of Biden. So I'd be curious to know what has been determined about the check fraud issue.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      So, it seems she...

- Was fired by the Biden campaign after being charged with check fraud.
      - Lied about this to friends and family at the time, and rather than tell them about the conviction, told them a story about how she had chosen to leave due to sexual harassment (but no such sexual harassment complaint has been found in the archives).
      - Went on to defraud two charity organisations.
      - Subsequently falsely alleged her ex-husband was a serial killer.

Hmm... I'm getting a sense she might not be the world's most trustworthy person.
      She made false accusations against someone else? Sources?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Townhall.com confirms the check fraud reporting

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...ffice-n2568514

Now, I would never normally cite them but the criterion of embarrassment (snicker) dictates that this story is now solid gold confirmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
          Townhall.com confirms the check fraud reporting

Now, I would never normally cite them but the criterion of embarrassment (snicker) dictates that this story is now solid gold confirmed.
          UPDATE II - I just spoke with Reade's attorney, Douglas Wigdor. He told me that his client's departure from Biden's office "had nothing to do with her termination because she had already left the office, in July [of 1993]. She was paid through that date [August 6th]," as indicated in the document she tweeted. Reade has speculated that she was terminated as a form of retaliation against her internal complaints regarding mistreatment.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            UPDATE II - I just spoke with Reade's attorney, Douglas Wigdor. He told me that his client's departure from Biden's office "had nothing to do with her termination because she had already left the office, in July [of 1993]. She was paid through that date [August 6th]," as indicated in the document she tweeted. Reade has speculated that she was terminated as a form of retaliation against her internal complaints regarding mistreatment.
            Meaning she *was* terminated due to the check fraud charge? I have no idea what her attorney is saying here.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
              The correct answer is: She did it because she saw that Kavanaugh was short listed for a SC seat and felt that she had to speak out before he got that position.

Why is Tara Reade speaking out now and not when Biden was VP? And not before Biden became the presumptive nominee?
              I asked that question earlier in the thread. This is one of the reasons that make me doubt her claims. But that still doesn't excuse the overwhelming rejection of her claims without investigation by the democrats when they were overwhelmingly accepting of Ford's accusations without any actual evidence. I just expect people to be fair without political bias. I think all accusers should be investigated, but the accused should be judged in court, not in the media. Innocent until proven guilty.

Comment

• Yet another duplicate...?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I asked that question earlier in the thread. This is one of the reasons that make me doubt her claims. But that still doesn't excuse the overwhelming rejection of her claims without investigation by the democrats when they were overwhelmingly accepting of Ford's accusations without any actual evidence. I just expect people to be fair without political bias. I think all accusers should be investigated, but the accused should be judged in court, not in the media. Innocent until proven guilty.

Maybe your expectations would be met if you set your own political bias aside now and then?

Comment

• Read Tara Reades story in the Nevada Union newspaper "a girl walks into the Senate" and see if it sounds as though it was written by someone who was sexually assaulted like she now claims.

http://www.theunion.com/opinion/colu...to-the-senate/

Sounds more like a disgruntled employee, who wasn't at all concerned with sexual harrassment herself, and can't find a single witness in the Senate at the time who can corroborate anything in this story.
                    Last edited by JimL; 05-11-2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Read Tara Reades story in the Nevada Union newspaper "a girl walks into the Senate" and see if it sounds as though it was written by someone who was sexually assaulted like she now claims.

http://www.theunion.com/opinion/colu...to-the-senate/

Sounds more like a disgruntled employee, who wasn't at all concerned with sexual harrassment herself, and can't find a single witness in the Senate at the time who can corroborate anything in this story.
                      This line sounds completely absurd in light of her latest version of events

Comment

This line sounds completely absurd in light of her latest version of events
                        Yep, she didn't see Bidens touching her shoulder and running his finger up her neck as a sexual thing, but a sign of dominance. She also had no problem with being asked to serve drinks, a request that didn't even come directly from Biden, but from a superviser, until a female aid objected to it. I don't see any complaint of even sexual harrassment no less sexual assault. Then she says she was forced out for ligitimate and not so ligitimate reasons. I wondered what the legitimate reasons were, and who it was that forced her out. The story seems full of holes in light of her latest version of events.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

Maybe your expectations would be met if you set your own political bias aside now and then?
                          On this matter I think I am being pretty unbiased. I am not saying either woman should be dismissed or believed outright. I think in both cases (Kavanaugh and Biden) the accused should be considered innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. I think both accusers should be listened to and their claims investigated.

Can you show me where I have said otherwise?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I appreciate that Sparko. I think Tara's claims have been fairly investigated but we should not hesitate to call out those who rush to judgement in her case.

Comment

Townhall.com confirms the check fraud reporting

And the plot thickens...

Who to believe

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                                And the plot thickens...

Who to believe
                                According to this tweet the nature of the charge was confirmed by Tara Reade's lawyer. But at this point I think we need to reserve judgement until we get a better indication of what is going on. If this could easily be confirmed I think it would have been independently confirmed by this point by at least one other news organization.

I would note that it *was* confirmed that Tara Reade was charged with a crime at one point (as noted in your excerpt).

ETA: Pardon excessive use of "confirmed" ;)
                                Last edited by DivineOb; 05-13-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment