Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

WHO is Really Responsible For The Pandemic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    Not sure that it is the WHO's role to act as police on reporting. There are enough parallel organizations and "escaped" information from social media that the world was roughly as well informed as China was.
    Well, reporting is something they do, but utimately it is governments that need to report an outbreak. China covered-up and the WHO observers weren't allowed into China until long after the China knew about it. China knew for weeks, prior to informing the W.H.O. on 31 Dec. of an outbreak, then they didn't confirm with the W.H.O. that it was a corona virus until 7 Jan. The W.H.O. observers weren't even allowed into China until 8 Feb. at which date they declared a National Health Emergency. So, blaming the W.H.O. for not reporting what China failed to report hardly seems justifiable.
    If the WHO criticized poor reporting by the US, the backlash would be swift with threats of funding cuts.
    Right, the W.H.O. can't function in the role of informing the world of an outbreak, which really isn't their function anyway, if countries cover-up.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Well, reporting is something they do, but utimately it is governments that need to report an outbreak. China covered-up and the WHO observers weren't allowed into China until long after the China knew about it. China knew for weeks, prior to informing the W.H.O. on 31 Dec. of an outbreak, then they didn't confirm with the W.H.O. that it was a corona virus until 7 Jan. The W.H.O. observers weren't even allowed into China until 8 Feb. at which date they declared a National Health Emergency. So, blaming the W.H.O. for not reporting what China failed to report hardly seems justifiable.

Right, the W.H.O. can't function in the role of informing the world of an outbreak, which really isn't their function anyway, if countries cover-up.
      So the WHO did not collect any data, but accepted the word of China, at face value.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        So the WHO did not collect any data, but accepted the word of China, at face value.
        What do you want them to do, paradrop a team of infiltrators into Wuhan hospitals to get the real data?

At that time, the WHO did what they were supposed to do, report to the world that 'Country X has reported this situation'.
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

????? WHO advised all countries to aggressively track and try to contain the disease. The WHO does not have an army to enforce its suggestions. It started advising countries in Jan. The numbers at the time were pretty low.

The international rules which govern the WHO were put in place to encourage openness and remove economic incentives to hide information. The WHO's response to this epidemic took into consideration the mistakes and missteps of past epidemics and the criticisms leveled against the WHO. WHO is not Leviathon, it is a cooperative international venture.

Conservatives are looking to scapegoat China and WHO. China is an enemy who is not an ally, the WHO is an United Nations organization, a favorite whipping boy for many conservatives.

How did the cover-up in China affect the response of most countries? Answer: it didn't.

Comment

The W.H.O. doesn't have the authority to gather information, they are dependent upon the countries to provide it. China didn't provide it and didn't allow W.H.O. observers into the country until 8 Febuary. Do you know when the W.H.O declared it a national emrgency? It was 8 February.
            Last edited by JimL; 04-12-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

????? WHO advised all countries to aggressively track and try to contain the disease. The WHO does not have an army to enforce its suggestions. It started advising countries in Jan. The numbers at the time were pretty low.

The international rules which govern the WHO were put in place to encourage openness and remove economic incentives to hide information. The WHO's response to this epidemic took into consideration the mistakes and missteps of past epidemics and the criticisms leveled against the WHO. WHO is not Leviathon, it is a cooperative international venture.

Conservatives are looking to scapegoat China and WHO. China is an enemy who is not an ally, the WHO is an United Nations organization, a favorite whipping boy for many conservatives.

How did the cover-up in China affect the response of most countries? Answer: it didn't.
              Right, the WHO reported what they knew, when they knew it, and they didn't understand it to be a National emergency until 8 February. But everyone was informed of what they did know, prior to that. I believe the U.S. got it's first confirmed case in mid January, same day as S. Korea and S. Korea didn't wait for the WHOs confirmation of a National emergency to react.
              Last edited by JimL; 04-12-2020, 10:33 AM.

Comment

The W.H.O. doesn't have the authority to gather information, they are dependent upon the countries to provide it. China didn't provide it and didn't allow W.H.O. observers into the country until 8 Febuary. Do you know when the W.H.O declared it a national emrgency? It was 8 February.
                Has China ever made it apparent that it can be trusted to give accurate information?
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Has China ever made it apparent that it can be trusted to give accurate information?
                  Then stop blaming thr W.H.O.!

Comment

Then stop blaming thr W.H.O.!
                    Have I blamed the WHO? I do blame them for repeating Chinese propaganda though, even when it has become apparent China has been lying through its teeth, the entire time.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Have I blamed the WHO? I do blame them
                      Answered your own question.

for repeating Chinese propaganda though, even when it has become apparent China has been lying through its teeth, the entire time.
                      What propaganda did the WHO spread? And When?

Comment

Right, the WHO reported what they knew, when they knew it, and they didn't understand it to be a National emergency until 8 February. But everyone was informed of what they did know, prior to that. I believe the U.S. got it's first confirmed case in mid January, same day as S. Korea and S. Korea didn't wait for the WHOs confirmation of a National emergency to react.
                        The Chinese cover up did not affect the world's response. On 5 Jan WHO gave a heads up about an unknown virus, that combined with social media suggested that it was something new. On 10 Jan, WHO issued guidance on testing for, and watching for the virus. On 12 Jan we had sceintific proof that it was a new disease, a new virus. 13 Jan it spread to Thailand, jumping the border.

On 22, the WHO couldn't reach any consensus whether it reached the threshold for an international public health emergency. On 30 January, it did declare a health emergency.

South Korea took the epidemic seriously, evidence from WHO and China was overwhelming by then. The US did not heed warnings of the WHO, and now we are scapegoating them.

Comment

The Chinese cover up did not affect the world's response. On 5 Jan WHO gave a heads up about an unknown virus, that combined with social media suggested that it was something new. On 10 Jan, WHO issued guidance on testing for, and watching for the virus. On 12 Jan we had sceintific proof that it was a new disease, a new virus. 13 Jan it spread to Thailand, jumping the border.

On 22, the WHO couldn't reach any consensus whether it reached the threshold for an international public health emergency. On 30 January, it did declare a health emergency.

South Korea took the epidemic seriously, evidence from WHO and China was overwhelming by then. The US did not heed warnings of the WHO, and now we are scapegoating them.
                          Right, my mistake, the W.H.O. called it a national emergency on 30 January, but didn't call it a pandemic until 8 February. But as you made clear they gave a heads up on 5 January. But, the world knew it was coming, and both the U.S. and S. Korea confirmed their first case on 20 January.
                          Last edited by JimL; 04-12-2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Right, my mistake, they called it a national emergency on 30 January, but didn't call it a pandemic until 8 February. But as you made clear they gave a heads up on 5 January.
                            I wonder why so many are vested in blaming China? The US has made most of the same mistakes which are called lies in the case of China. It does take the spotlight off the inept and chaotic response of politicians.

One bizarre result is that it seems the secretive Chinese may have stopped sharing information on trials.

Comment

I wonder why so many are vested in blaming China? The US has made most of the same mistakes which are called lies in the case of China. It does take the spotlight off the inept and chaotic response of politicians.
                              They are defending Trump, right or wrong. Trump is trying to deflect his own shortcomings with regard to his response by pointing the finger at the W.H.O. and China.
                              One bizarre result is that it seems the secretive Chinese may have stopped sharing information on trials.
                              Yep, I think China, as have most countries done, tried to keep it hush hush until they realized they could no longer do so, or until they knew exactly what they were dealing with, which is to late. They alerted the W.H.O. on 31 December, but didn't confirm to them it to be a corona virus until 7 January. Who knows what the chinese knew and when they knew it prior to that? They didn't allow W.H.O. observers into the country until 8 February.

Comment

Answered your own question.

What propaganda did the WHO spread? And When?
                                Jan 17th, they repeated that the China Flu did not spread human to human.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment