Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Red state/blue state and corona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    No. Otherwise it would be right to sacrifice others in order to save yourself.
    No, because you wouldn't be treating *their* lives as, at least, equally precious to your own.
    There are things that ought to be more important to you than your own life.
    Sure, there can be reasons one might make *the ultimate sacrifice*. That doesn't mean that life isn't the most precious commodity! You of all people should know that.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      There are those who oppose abortion in *all* cases, even when failing to abort will kill the mother. Are you saying they don't view the life of the child as the highest consideration?
      wouldn't that mean the baby would die too? - if the baby is viable, they could just deliver it with a c-section and both would live. Think.

If they're hypocrites :).
      No. because taking the life of someone who is a murderer is not the same as taking the life of someone innocent. Think.

I don't think people care if they choose to risk their own lives. It's the fact that they are risking yours and mine.
      You are wrong, and you ignored his strawman.

I don't believe you ;).
      It's true. You used to be respectful to me too. But, lately you have become a grade-A jerk.

Comment

Not trolling. Just sick beyond death of the bleats of pro-birthers who fall silent the *instant* they might have to actually follow through on their so-called beliefs.
        So, your proof that your not trolling is extreme trolling?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, because you wouldn't be treating *their* lives as, at least, equally precious to your own.
          What a curious objection for an atheist. If atheism is true, then what rational reason is there to value someone else's life over my own? If my life is "the highest and most precious commodity of all", as you claim, then anything I need to do to protect it is reasonable and acceptable, even if it means causing someone else to lose theirs.

But speaking from a Christian worldview, my life is not "the highest and most precious commodity of all". For instance, I would rather die than reject Jesus as my Savior. I would gladly give my life to allow another person to have even just a few more moments to recognize their need for repentance.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2020/04/23/the-us-states-with-the-greatest-risk-of-exposure-to-covid-19-ranked-from-worst-to-best/#32a5278d70ab

The US States With The Greatest Risk Of Exposure To COVID-19 Ranked From Worst To Best

© Copyright Original Source

See Table in Source.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              wouldn't that mean the baby would die too? - if the baby is viable, they could just deliver it with a c-section and both would live. Think.
              Obviously that's not possible in all cases, king zombie :).

It's true. You used to be respectful to me too. But, lately you have become a grade-A jerk.
              That's true. I came here hoping to find some sort of common ground as Americans and you've all shown me that there really is no making peace with the true believers. So now I treat you like you treat others :).

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                So, your proof that your not trolling is extreme trolling?
                Trolling is... not that :).

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  What a curious objection for an atheist. If atheism is true, then what rational reason is there to value someone else's life over my own? If my life is "the highest and most precious commodity of all", as you claim, then anything I need to do to protect it is reasonable and acceptable, even if it means causing someone else to lose theirs.
                  I mean, are you even trying to hide the fact that you can't respond to what I said and want to change the subject?

But speaking from a Christian worldview, my life is not "the highest and most precious commodity of all".
                  :brainsbrainsbrains:

Obviously we're speaking about the material world, WW. What happens in a potential afterlife is outside this discussion. In terms of this material world you haven't shown me what commodity is more precious :).

For instance, I would rather die than reject Jesus as my Savior.
                  Do you not understand that what you might choose to do with your life has nothing to do with whether life is the most precious commodity?

I would gladly give my life to allow another person to have even just a few more moments to recognize their need for repentance.
                  Poor baby... have to go to heaven... what a sacrifice :).

Comment

US News: Governors blindside staff with abrupt reopening plans

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...ns/ar-BB136XZg

Why bother using medical and emergency professionals in any executive action? It may be a decade before Republicans can win back enough Americans' confidence to get back statehouses and Washington, it seems that the GOP is aiming to be known as the party of incompetence.

Prior planning prevent poor performance, the 6 Ps of management and leadership.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                      Obviously that's not possible in all cases, king zombie :).
                      please give me an example.

That's true. I came here hoping to find some sort of common ground as Americans and you've all shown me that there really is no making peace with the true believers. So now I treat you like you treat others :).
                      That's fine. I just wanted to know where I stood with you. I have tried to be civil with you, but if you want to be a jerk, I will treat you like one.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                        This is such a wonderful and heart warming philosophy!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          This is such a wonderful and heart warming philosophy!
                          I believe it is a description of the 'wonderful and heart warming philosophy.' of others.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                            Obviously we're speaking about the material world...
                            No, you're obviously speaking about the material world, which is precisely my point. In the material world, there is literally nothing more precious and valuable than one's own life, so from a purely materialistic standpoint, whatever is necessary to extend your own life is justifiable, even if it means costing someone else theirs. That philosophy is wholly compatible with atheism but runs contrary to Christianity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              No, you're obviously speaking about the material world, which is precisely my point. In the material world, there is literally nothing more precious and valuable than one's own life, so from a purely materialistic standpoint, whatever is necessary to extend your own life is justifiable, even if it means costing someone else theirs. That philosophy is wholly compatible with atheism but runs contrary to Christianity.
                              He is just burning straw, why bother arguing with him? He used to be a Christian so he knows what we believe. He is just trolling you with his literal wooden interpretation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                He is just burning straw, why bother arguing with him? He used to be a Christian so he knows what we believe. He is just trolling you with his literal wooden interpretation.
                                Why does a loss of one's religion almost always correlate with a loss of one's intelligence?

Comment