Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, so I think we agree that's the actual wording, yes? The first paragraph was about light, and the second about disinfectant, yes?
    Yes
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Yes
      So it's the second paragraph - exactly what I posted - that seems to be the point of contention.

Here it is again....

And here's how you described it...

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      He voiced an opinion about the need to investigate the injection of disinfectants into the human body."
      If you actually read the words, he was asking, in a very stumbling bumbling idiot way -- exact words --- "And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning". Now, as it's transcribed, there's no question mark, but please tell me you don't deny this is asking a question.

Then he continues with the stumbling bumbling... "Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that." as the basis for asking the question.

Then follows it up with... "So, that, you're going to have to use medical doctors with", which anybody but an imbecile would recognize is NOT a suggestion to "try this at home".

Unless, of course, you read this in the most intolerant uncharitable hate-Trump kind of way.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Another bad analogy, Jim.
        If the defense stipulates that the accused is, indeed, a serial killer, then it's reasonable to assume he would kill again.
        It wasn't an analogy. It was a mockery of MM trying to excuse Trump by claiming he's just not good with his words.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          It wasn't an analogy.
          We certainly agree on that.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So it's the second paragraph - exactly what I posted - that seems to be the point of contention.
            Actually - both were pretty stupid. The second went beyond stupid and entered the territory of dangerous.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Here it is again....

And here's how you described it...

If you actually read the words, he was asking, in a very stumbling bumbling idiot way -- exact words --- "And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning". Now, as it's transcribed, there's no question mark, but please tell me you don't deny this is asking a question.

Then he continues with the stumbling bumbling... "Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that." as the basis for asking the question.

Then follows it up with... "So, that, you're going to have to use medical doctors with", which anybody but an imbecile would recognize is NOT a suggestion to "try this at home".

Unless, of course, you read this in the most intolerant uncharitable hate-Trump kind of way.
            I wasn't aware there was a "contention." I hadn't heard anyone defend his statements (yet).

My comment: "He voiced an opinion about the need to investigate the injection of disinfectants into the human body."
            About Trump's statement: "So it would be interesting to check that." (in which the "that" referenced using disinfectants internally)

I stand behind my comment. As for the claim that it entered the realm of dangerous, I offer the following evidence:

- Medical experts from the Surgeon General on down felt a need to clarify for the general population that injecting/ingesting disinfectants is dangerous.
            - Manufacturers of disinfectants also felt a need to clarify for the general population that injecting/ingesting disinfectants is dangerous.
            - State and county officials also felt a need to clarify for the general population that injecting/ingesting disinfectants is dangerous.
            - Poison centers are reporting a spike in "accidents" associated with disinfectants since Trump's comments.
            - And the Maryland Emergency hotline has now received over 100 calls about use of disinfectants for Covid-19, prompting them to issue an alert that people should not ingest/inject disinfectants.

Much as it amazes all of us, we have a country with people across the knowledge spectrum and across the common sense spectrum. We also have a huge Trump base, many of whom hang on his every word and defend his every action. Stupid things from this man can be (and obviously are) dangerous in that environment.
            Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-25-2020, 09:31 PM.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Actually - both were pretty stupid. The second went beyond stupid and entered the territory of dangerous.

I wasn't aware there was a "contention." I hadn't heard anyone defend his statements (yet).

My comment: "He voiced an opinion about the need to investigate the injection of disinfectants into the human body."
              About Trump's statement: "So it would be interesting to check that." (in which the "that" referenced using disinfectants internally)

I stand behind my comment. As for the claim that it entered the realm of dangerous, I offer the following evidence:

- Medical experts from the Surgeon General on down felt a need to clarify for the general population that injecting/ingesting disinfectants is dangerous.
              - Manufacturers of disinfectants also felt a need to clarify for the general population that injecting/ingesting disinfectants is dangerous.
              - State and county officials also felt a need to clarify for the general population that injecting/ingesting disinfectants is dangerous.
              - Poison centers are reporting a spike in "accidents" associated with disinfectants since Trump's comments.
              - And the Maryland Emergency hotline has now received over 100 calls about use of disinfectants for Covid-19, prompting them to issue an alert that people should not ingest/inject disinfectants.

Much as it amazes all of us, we have a country with people across the knowledge spectrum and across the common sense spectrum. We also have a huge Trump base, many of whom hang on his every word and defend his every action. Stupid things from this man can be (and obviously are) dangerous in that environment.
              You're wrong.

Comment

You're wrong.
                Nicely argued. I concede.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Well he is now denying he was asking his expert to look into it, and claiming he was being sarcastic. That IS an obvious lie.
                  Yeah, that was a little disappointing. He should have just owned it and said, "I was just asking a question. I'm not a doctor, so what do I know?"
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Yeah, that was a little disappointing. He should have just owned it and said, "I was just asking a question. I'm not a doctor, so what do I know?"
                    THAT!

Cause it was, indeed, just a stupid rambling question. Not "stating an opinion" as my esteemed incredibly wrong colleague contends out of necessity.
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-25-2020, 09:43 PM.

Comment

THAT!

Cause it was, indeed, just a stupid rambling question. Not "stating an opinion" as my esteemed incredibly wrong colleague contents out of necessity.
                      Contends....

Your Friend -

The Grammar Nazi

ETA: And the opinion voiced was that medical experts should "look into that," because he "found it interesting," which he most certainly did. It's in the bloody transcript of the "ramble." But that nuance is obviously lost on a lot of people who heard the president talk about the efficacy of disinfectants in managing Covid-19. Apparently, a LOT of people had that concern, and it IS causing people to ask about and/or do very stupid things. I provided the information to support that claim, which you carefully researched and showed to be... oh.. never mind... no you didn't.
                      Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-25-2020, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Contends....
                        I had already edited it.

Your Friend -

The Grammar Nazi
                        Next time, a little quicker on the draw, eh? I beat you by a minute!

Comment

I had already edited it.

Next time, a little quicker on the draw, eh? I beat you by a minute!
                          Well...you beat my post by a minute. After all, it took me a minute to proof my text so I wouldn't post anything stupid...

But you didn't beat my click on "reply with quote."

Comment

Well...you beat my post by a minute. After all, it took me a minute to proof my text so I wouldn't post anything stupid...

But you didn't beat my click on "reply with quote."
                            Your mother wears duckface masks!

Comment

Your mother wears duckface masks!
                              Awww...she's trying to go incognito and you just spoiled the whole thing!

Comment

• This item popped up in my news feed, and I found it pretty much captured what I experience from both Mr. Trump and his base (including his media sycophants). The article points to the power of "confusion" in keeping media focus and getting people to eventually give up on "knowing what is real."

I have seen this dynamic play out over and over again in the last 5 years, and I find it to be a regular part of discussions on this forum.

Comment