Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    People keep pointing out that the USA has the most covid-19 deaths and that means how poorly Trump is doing. But if you look at a chart based on deaths per capita instead of just raw numbers, the US is doing way better than most other countries in controlling the virus.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44135[/ATTACH]
    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data
    No - it's not. It's doing better than the 7 countries listed in your graph. Your graph only has 2 countries below the U.S., but there are 195 countries in the world, so your graph says nothing about 185 countries. The fact is, we are currently 20th on that list, so we are doing better than 19 countries and worse than 175. That is how we get to 4.5% of the population, but 30% of the infections. And we used to be 44th on that list...and have been climbing the list steadily. I hope we will never overtake all of them to be first.

And listing countries that have handled things worse than us does not demonstrate that we have done things well. It just demonstrates that we haven't done as poorly as 19 other countries/territories.

BTW, we are now 15th on the list of most deaths per capita (so 180 countries doing better), and 42nd on the list of "most tests per capita." We have been climbing the former list, and holding fairly steady on the latter.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      No - it's not. It's doing better than the 7 countries listed in your graph. Your graph only has 2 countries below the U.S., but there are 195 countries in the world, so your graph says nothing about 185 countries. The fact is, we are currently 20th on that list, so we are doing better than 19 countries and worse than 175. That is how we get to 4.5% of the population, but 30% of the infections. And we used to be 44th on that list...and have been climbing the list steadily. I hope we will never overtake all of them to be first.

And listing countries that have handled things worse than us does not demonstrate that we have done things well. It just demonstrates that we haven't done as poorly as 19 other countries/territories.

BTW, we are now 15th on the list of most deaths per capita (so 180 countries doing better), and 42nd on the list of "most tests per capita." We have been climbing the former list, and holding fairly steady on the latter.
      many of the other countries are just now getting the infection (like South America) or have such a low density population that the virus can't spread. It doesn't seem to be taking hold in Africa for instance. But when you compare the US with the other countries that have equivalent population densities and where the virus started at around the same time, the USA is doing better than most. Nice try though.

Comment

many of the other countries are just now getting the infection (like South America) or have such a low density population that the virus can't spread. It doesn't seem to be taking hold in Africa for instance. But when you compare the US with the other countries that have equivalent population densities and where the virus started at around the same time, the USA is doing better than most. Nice try though.
        Come on, man, carpe's schtick from the very beginning has been to whoop and holler about how badly the US is doing because he's hoping that a little pain and fear will encourage people to vote Trump out in November.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

many of the other countries are just now getting the infection (like South America) or have such a low density population that the virus can't spread. It doesn't seem to be taking hold in Africa for instance. But when you compare the US with the other countries that have equivalent population densities and where the virus started at around the same time, the USA is doing better than most.
          Which countries are those?

There's only one country - Sweden - with a similar population density to the US and higher covid-19 per capita deaths. Every other country has either a much higher population density than the US, or a lower per capita covid-19 death rate.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Sparko - some of the countries/regions down on that list include India, Hong Kong, South Africa, Japan, Russia, Argentina, Singapore, Columbia, Indonesia, Australia, Malaysa, Mexico, Phillipines, S. Korea, Chile, Poland, Brazil, Peru, Greece, Finland, Hungary, Turkey, Canada, Norway, and Germany. I left China off the list because I am still not 100% convinced they are being honest with their numbers. Many of these countries have larger populations than the ones on your graph.

In other words, your graph is purposefully skewed to 10 hand-chosen countries to show the U.S. as "not doing so bad." Add these other countries to the graph and the picture changes.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post

There's only one country - Sweden - with a similar population density to the US and higher covid-19 per capita deaths. Every other country has either a much higher population density than the US, or a lower per capita covid-19 death rate.
              Good points. I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post

So you are saying that population density is the real factor in this, not how the country handles it?

Comment

So you are saying that population density is the real factor in this, not how the country handles it?
                  "A" real factor... not "the" real factor...

That's epidemiology 101

Comment

No, I'm asking you which other countries justify "when you compare the US with the other countries that have equivalent population densities and where the virus started at around the same time, the USA is doing better than most". What are those "other countries" that the US is supposedly doing better than?
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

In other words, your graph is purposefully skewed to 10 hand-chosen countries to show the U.S. as "not doing so bad." Add these other countries to the graph and the picture changes.
                      I doubt it's purposefully skewed - it shows the worst-affected major countries which have relatively reliable reporting mechanisms.

Comment

• OK here is a chart showing the USA vs UK, Europe, Asia, Africa, India, etc.

covid continents.jpg

And notice the footnote: Limited testing and challenges in the attribution of the cause of death means that the number of confirmed deaths may not be an accurate count of the true total number of deaths from COVID-19.

The US, UK and Europe have been doing the most and most accurate testing. India for example has not.
                        The whole spiel that the USA is handing this worse than the rest of the world is nonsense.

Comment

OK here is a chart showing the USA vs UK, Europe, Asia, Africa, India, etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44137[/ATTACH]

And notice the footnote: Limited testing and challenges in the attribution of the cause of death means that the number of confirmed deaths may not be an accurate count of the true total number of deaths from COVID-19.

The US, UK and Europe have been doing the most and most accurate testing. India for example has not.
                          The whole spiel that the USA is handing this worse than the rest of the world is nonsense.
                          Who ever said "worse than the rest of the world?"

You appear to be flailing at a strawman of your own creation. We are doing worse than the world average by far, hence 30% of the infections, 20% of the deaths, and 4.5% of the population. If you proceed to break that down by continent or country, we are doing better than some countries (e.g., Spain, Italy) on a per capita basis and worse than a lot of others (e.g., India, South Korea, Japan, Norway, etc.) on the same basis.

And the specific things contributing to our lack of leadership in this have been listed. And the specific person behind the chaos and dysfunction currently occupies the Oval Office - an office he is pretty much completely unsuited for, IMO.

Comment

Who ever said "worse than the rest of the world?"

You appear to be flailing at a strawman of your own creation. We are doing worse than the world average by far, hence 30% of the infections, 20% of the deaths, and 4.5% of the population. If you proceed to break that down by continent or country, we are doing better than some countries (e.g., Spain, Italy) on a per capita basis and worse than a lot of others (e.g., India, South Korea, Japan, Norway, etc.) on the same basis.

And the specific things contributing to our lack of leadership in this have been listed. And the specific person behind the chaos and dysfunction currently occupies the Oval Office - an office he is pretty much completely unsuited for, IMO.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Then when some-one makes that claim, you can strenuously object. I think many countries are handling it just as poorly.

Meanwhile, you claimed that "when you compare the US with the other countries that have equivalent population densities and where the virus started at around the same time, the USA is doing better than most". What are those "other countries" that the US is supposedly doing better than?

P.S. Your chart above doesn't take into account the date of introduction of the virus. There's a worrying animation here showing how the virus has spread from Jan 22nd onwards as different countries see outbreaks occurring.

Comment

• Umm...no. Sorry. You can't point to a handful of other countries who are also mismanaging the outbreak and say, "gee...we're doing so well!" The shining stars in this are Germany, S. Korea, and Japan. India is a bit of an enigma right now. Russia was an enigma but they too are spiking.

Meanwhile, infection in the U.S. is rampant and so far we have seen a constant stream of blame, credit-taking, campaigning, and mismanagement, punctuated by a handful of good choices and reasonable decisions.

A person wasting brain cycles, discussion time, and/or resources on "will my name be on the check?" and "look how big my ratings are" and "you know I personally know Tom Brady" is not prioritizing well.

Comment