Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus is not a bug, it's a feature!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    They said churches, grocery stores, airports and malls are allowed to remain open here. I suspect that some churches with large audiences might decide to shut down on their own.
    Our church is going to online worship for a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      This is why many countries like Germany, Japan, or the UK choose the DTDT route. Shutting things down is very costly.

Probably Trump wanted DTDT too, but it's not possible with an adversarial media.
      I'm not familiar with that term.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I'm not familiar with that term.
        I think he is talking about what he started a thread about Don't Test, Don't Tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          200MBPS.

You're a gamer?
          nope. At one point I had 300MBPS as part of a package deal with the cable company. I complained because I never actually got the speed and they offered me the 200 at a discount because I told them my bill was too high. I really only get about 100-150mbps in the real world.

I do a lot of video streaming though. And I will probably need the speed if I remote in to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            The phone at the pharmacy won't quit ringing off the hook. I have to buy basic household stuff before other people get to it (because you know 5 people, 1 toilet training 3 year old, toilet paper is essential) and I had to but peroxide because I use it to clean with but the rest of the world wanted it in case everyone bought out the alcohol (which they did) On the flip side I'm thinking about making my own hand sanitizer to auction off on ebay.
            I have some little alcohol swab packets that I will sell you for $50 each!

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Company did a firm-wide test of our VPN network Wednesday, and the NY office is working from home today. I'm taking my firm laptop home every night. I expect to get an announcement any day now that I'll be working from home until further notice. I can do pretty much all of my job from home and save $200/month in commuting costs. The only downside is if the courts close, I won't have any work to do.
              Yeah I was wondering about the courts too. I don't think anyone wants to be in a crowded court room right now. And I figure the jails will probably be a freaking petri dish for this virus. Criminals are not usually the cleanest individuals to begin with. Then they get dragged into a courtroom? Yeesh.

Our firm keeps hinting at working from home but they still haven't pulled the trigger. I am taking supplies home with me this weekend that I might need to work from home in case they make a sudden decision over the weekend. Paper for the printer and so on.

Our firm is using the coronavirus as an "opportunity" to advise clients and businesses on how to handle the crisis, employees, finances, laws, etc. High end ambulance chasing.

I had to work up a Coronavirus contingency plan for one of our clients today.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I have some little alcohol swab packets that I will sell you for $50 each!
                Isn't your blood roughly 70% 80 proof alcohol (rum)?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Isn't your blood roughly 70% 80 proof alcohol (rum)?
                  Yes, but it is contaminated with bacon grease. Oh, wait, that's a feature too!

Comment

......AND there it is. Working from home the next two weeks.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

But.......did you get TP on the way home?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

......AND there it is. Working from home the next two weeks.
                        After all of this is over I'll bet there will be a lot more people telecommuting than there were before.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The company I support is sending anyone who wants to and can to work at home. I'm customer facing so, I'm supposed to come in. first phase will be ~150 people
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            But.......did you get TP on the way home?
                            No. Wife found some.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No. Wife found some.
                              Yay! That proves wives are good for some stuff!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                After all of this is over I'll bet there will be a lot more people telecommuting than there were before.
                                It may. Back before Desert Shield/Storm, our paper copies of messages, DAILY, were like at least an half inch thick. When MINIMIZE was imposed on our message traffic during our buildup to and during the war, it was like maybe three or four messages with a few high priority transmissions. Afterwards the volume never returned to normal. Even though the actual combat was very brief, the impact on our business-as-usual was profound.

Improved message protocols for electronic transmission pretty much killed paper copies after that. Remember this was the 90s, where technology was changing drastically.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment