Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Out of curiosity, would this reasoning apply to, say, the Spanish flu? What's the technical name for that? (I assume it has one, but genuinely have no idea without looking it up).
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-25-2020, 01:45 PM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• More than that if we spiral into a Depression that takes a decade to recover from. We're also looking at a large number of deaths as a result. Not just suicides,[1] but also from heart attacks, strokes caused by stress and all the diseases associated with depression (small "d") and stress since that tends to weaken the immune system.

Several years ago I read a report about the health costs associated with a faltering economy that few take into consideration. Some of things mentioned are car accidents since roads can't be repaired due to lack of funding. Hospitals can't be built because of lack in funding. Over the course of a decade the death toll from just these two things could have a staggering high death toll.

The report listed a number of other things that also would result in a substantial loss of life but those are the ones I recall years later.

1. We're all familiar with the stories of businessmen jumping out of windows during the Great Depression but far, far more were from people blowing their brains out, poisoning themselves etc. And back then folks were largely made of sterner stuff. Things that cause people to have a meltdown today would hardly have made them blink back then.
      Last edited by rogue06; 03-25-2020, 01:35 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• The Spanish flu likely did not originate in Spain. Spain was one of the only countries whose government did not prohibit the press from reporting on the spread of the flu, so more news stories about it originated from Spain than anywhere else. Thus, people were left with the false impression that it primarily came from there.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Here is a partial list I've put together and is far from exhaustive
          • Aden Fever (a form of Dengue Fever named after the capital of Yemen)
          • American trypanosomiasis (a.k.a. Chagas disease and named after the American continents -- and Chagas was the name of a Brazilian doctor)
          • Devonshire colic (named after the English county)
          • Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever (named after the Ebola River in west Africa)
          • German Measles (named after the German doctors who first described it)
          • Guinea Worm (named after the Guinea coast of West Africa)
          • Hantavirus (named after the Hantan river in South Korea)
          • Hendra virus (named after a suburb of Brisbane, Australia)
          • Japanese Encephalitis
          • La Crosse Encephalitis (named after La Crosse, Wisconsin)
          • Lassa Fever (named after Lassa, Nigeria)
          • Legionnaires' Disease (named after the 1976 American Legion convention in Philadelphia -- even the name of the bacteria responsible reflects this)
          • Lyme Disease (named after Lyme, Connecticut)
          • Marburg Virus Disease (named after Marburg, Germany)
          • MERS (Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome, which came from the Arabian Peninsula)
          • Norovirus (named after the city of Norwalk, Ohio)
          • Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever (named after Omsk Russia)
          • Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (named after the North American mountain chain)
          • Ross River Fever (named after the river in Australia)
          • Salonika or Salonica Fever (often called Trench Fever and named after Thessaloniki, Greece)
          • Spanish Flu
          • St. Louis Encephalitis
          • Valley Fever (named after San Joaquin Valley of California)
          • West Nile Virus (named after the West Nile district of Uganda)
          • Zika fever (named after the Ziika Forest of Uganda).

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• As predicted, Fauci has become a target. Right now it is the extreme right, but I predict Trump will pick up the chant either before or slightly after Fox News does, and then it will move more center right and, eventually, Fauci will be fired. Somewhere along that sequence it will become the mantra of many here. I predict a matter of days to a couple weeks at the outside for this to happen.

This is the pattern we have seen for countless people before. Contradict Trump or show him in a bad light in any way, or become visibly more popular/beloved, and that is your fate if you work for the federal government. It doe snot matter what your record was or how you were viewed before - dirt will be slung.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Did you know that the gal from the CDC who waited until Trump was out of the country to attempt to induce panic by screaming, "We're all going to die!" is Rod Rosenstein's sister?

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...steins-sister/

Is the coronavirus really any worse than the common flu?

Worse than the Spanish flu, which killed 50 million people worldwide. When are you going to wake up???

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I bet people wished we had that wall now.
                Of course walls are impenetrable to viruses...

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  The Spanish flu likely did not originate in Spain. Spain was one of the only countries whose government did not prohibit the press from reporting on the spread of the flu, so more news stories about it originated from Spain than anywhere else. Thus, people were left with the false impression that it primarily came from there.
                  Presently we don't know where it came from although there are a number of theories with one popular one being it originated around St. Louis, Missouri. Others include China, Great Britain and France.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                    Of course walls are impenetrable to viruses...
                    They could help slow the spread which would be useful in flattening the curve.

Currently Mexico is doing next to nothing and considering the steady of influx of illegal aliens from and through that country into the U.S. that tends to makes efforts at quarantine far less effective.

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                      Worse than the Spanish flu, which killed 50 million people worldwide. When are you going to wake up???
                      apparently no time soon. Good to know you are still around
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        Out of curiosity, would this reasoning apply to, say, the Spanish flu? What's the technical name for that? (I assume it has one, but genuinely have no idea without looking it up).
                        It would depend on it it came to be a pejoratice, as 'china virus' and 'chicom' virus. On these pages they are not associated with the origin but the attempt to pin blame on the Chinese for the epidemic. And that is why attacks on people of asian descent are up. The issue here is Trumps use of it as a pejorative, and the subsequent adoption of the same by his base.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          The Spanish flu likely did not originate in Spain. Spain was one of the only countries whose government did not prohibit the press from reporting on the spread of the flu, so more news stories about it originated from Spain than anywhere else. Thus, people were left with the false impression that it primarily came from there.
                          The main reason was WW1. The flu was already in Germany, England and France. But since they were at war, no government in those countries wanted to demoralize the soldiers at the war front. But Spain wasn't at war, so the flu was reported. The earliest report of that flu is thought to be in France, in some small town from the description of the symptoms described by a doctor in his personal diary, which was discovered many years after the disease had disappeared. It doesn't mean it's the first case, just the first recorded case.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                            As predicted, Fauci has become a target. Right now it is the extreme right, but I predict Trump will pick up the chant either before or slightly after Fox News does, and then it will move more center right and, eventually, Fauci will be fired. Somewhere along that sequence it will become the mantra of many here. I predict a matter of days to a couple weeks at the outside for this to happen.

This is the pattern we have seen for countless people before. Contradict Trump or show him in a bad light in any way, or become visibly more popular/beloved, and that is your fate if you work for the federal government. It doe snot matter what your record was or how you were viewed before - dirt will be slung.
                            New York Times to claim he was being "muzzled."

Now the MSM is busy trying to foment strife over recent disagreements and comments despite Fauci repeatedly declaring that there is "no fundamental difference" between Trump and him on how to handle the Chicom coronavirus.

Comment

• I was listing the general ignorance displayed on this site, not the ignorance YOU displayed on this site. You display of ignorance has been primarily in the play it down arena, but you never tried to say it is 1/10 that of the flu.

0-10 - none recorded
                              11-39 - around .2%
                              40-49 - rises to around 1.7%
                              50+ - begins to rise quickly, to around 37%, for those over 80.

Is this more deadly than the flu? Yes, will it lead to millions of dead Americans or even a million? Unlikely. It will likely claim more in retirement communities so older Americans should be more careful while younger Americans should wash our hands more and sanitize more often.
                              Good numbers, but you are ignoring the implications of them.

It is 2x as communicable as the flu. 50% of the population is 150 mullion people. 1% of that is 1.5 million people. That is what happens if we slow the spread but do not find viable treatments that reduce the mortality rate.

If it all happens at once because we did not do anything to stop the spread, then we are looking at at least 2 or 3x that number because the mortality without competent hospital care is typically more like 4 or 5%.

So you seat of the pants speculation is irrelevant pix. The data is what counts. My numbers are based on the numbers, the statistics as they are derived from the actual progression of the disease in the world.

Wrong on two counts. First, there are countries were there is sufficient testing to know what is really happening with the spread of the disease. S. Korea is one of the best, and it is the numbers from S. Korea I am using. We are seeing the same trend in Germany were they are also doing massing testing. Early numbers that are less that 1%, and then a gradual rise towards that number. Second, we are consistently seeing numbers above 1%, and what is happeing in Italy and other countries where the spread is unchecked makes speculation this 1% number could be in any significant doubt virtually fantasy. .1 or .2% doesn't do what is happening in Italy, in Spain, in NY
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-25-2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                It would depend on it it came to be a pejoratice, as 'china virus' and 'chicom' virus. On these pages they are not associated with the origin but the attempt to pin blame on the Chinese for the epidemic. And that is why attacks on people of asian descent are up. The issue here is Trumps use of it as a pejorative, and the subsequent adoption of the same by his base.
                                It was never a pejorative except in the minds of those determined to be offended and with the Chicoms who don't want anyone remembering how horribly (and often deliberately so) they mishandled it.

Even Asian news services were referring to it that way.

Comment