Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Good for him. The "science" guys on the Kung Flu task force are not the only ones who matter. If they extend this debacle to the twelve weeks some have suggested, neither the economy nor society as a whole will *ever* recover.
    While the rest of the world will be getting back to a new normal, the USA is going to be quarantined for a surprisingly long time. You will be like a leper colony.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
      It's not at all surprising to me you haven't heard of it. Why do you think Dems constantly bring up fake stories to bolster the "Orange Man bad" narrative (like the fake claim he cut the CDC budget, to name just one, or the whole what he meant by "hoax" great debate), yet totally ignore REAL actions like this? Other than Political, Rolling Stone, and some other smaller news networks, I've not seen one story in the MSM about this. What the DOJ is trying to do seems like it has nothing to do with the crisis and seems like something you can legitimately criticize the president for, yet they remain silent. Why is that?
      So, first, while I'm sure there are some Dems who pushed the "cut the CDC budget" narrative, the vast majority of stories I saw said exactly what happened: that Trump's budget proposed sweeping cuts to the CDC and those cuts were not enacted by Congress. As for the "hoax," it seems clear to me, and it was clear in the articles that I saw, that Trump clearly used the term "hoax" in reference to the degree to which he felt the Dems were "hyping" the virus. I never saw him call the virus itself a hoax and I did not see any major news outlets report that he did. That being said, I don't read everything published by every news outlet.

As for why this one has not made headlines and is limited to further-left outlets, it may well be that no major outlet has been able to substantiate the report or that the general report is being blown out of proportion by the further left-leaning outlets. Politico leans pretty strongly left. Also, the article in Politico talks about the requests having implications for Habeas Corpus. They don't say they have out and out requested a suspension of Habeus Corpus. Finally, as you note, it has little chance of passing a Democratic house. Ultimately, it may simply not have risen on the radar to the level of "stories that will get eyes."
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        Good for him. The "science" guys on the Kung Flu task force are not the only ones who matter. If they extend this debacle to the twelve weeks some have suggested, neither the economy nor society as a whole will *ever* recover.
        How do you establish that this claim is true. Couldn't we just as easily claim that if the U.S> returns to work and suffers widespread passing of this virus, it runs the risk of being internationally isolated, ending up with hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of deaths, and straining the healthcare system to the breaking point. If the rest of the world contains this and the U.S. does not, the consequences could be far more long term, right?

Note - India has just ordered a nationwide lockdown - 1.3B people.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
          It's not at all surprising to me you haven't heard of it. Why do you think Dems constantly bring up fake stories to bolster the "Orange Man bad" narrative (like the fake claim he cut the CDC budget, to name just one, or the whole what he meant by "hoax" great debate), yet totally ignore REAL actions like this? Other than Political, Rolling Stone, and some other smaller news networks, I've not seen one story in the MSM about this. What the DOJ is trying to do seems like it has nothing to do with the crisis and seems like something you can legitimately criticize the president for, yet they remain silent. Why is that?
          hmmm ... who is driving the DOJ?
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            How do you establish that this claim is true. Couldn't we just as easily claim that if the U.S> returns to work and suffers widespread passing of this virus, it runs the risk of being internationally isolated, ending up with hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of deaths, and straining the healthcare system to the breaking point. If the rest of the world contains this and the U.S. does not, the consequences could be far more long term, right?

Note - India has just ordered a nationwide lockdown - 1.3B people.
            Good point. It will not be easy to balance the impact of the lockdown(s) and the devastation of the virus itself.

But one thing is sure. Pretending things will be 'ok' and ignoring the data and the science is an almost guaranteed means finding ourselves confronted with total failure.

The problem here is not that Trump is wrong to be concerned about the economy and to look for ways to avoid killing it. The problem is he will ignore anyone and everyone that has the knowledge required to construct a viable path through this situation.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

So, first, while I'm sure there are some Dems who pushed the "cut the CDC budget" narrative, the vast majority of stories I saw said exactly what happened: that Trump's budget proposed sweeping cuts to the CDC and those cuts were not enacted by Congress. As for the "hoax," it seems clear to me, and it was clear in the articles that I saw, that Trump clearly used the term "hoax" in reference to the degree to which he felt the Dems were "hyping" the virus. I never saw him call the virus itself a hoax and I did not see any major news outlets report that he did. That being said, I don't read everything published by every news outlet.

As for why this one has not made headlines and is limited to further-left outlets, it may well be that no major outlet has been able to substantiate the report or that the general report is being blown out of proportion by the further left-leaning outlets. Politico leans pretty strongly left. Also, the article in Politico talks about the requests having implications for Habeas Corpus. They don't say they have out and out requested a suspension of Habeus Corpus. Finally, as you note, it has little chance of passing a Democratic house. Ultimately, it may simply not have risen on the radar to the level of "stories that will get eyes."
              This argument that they haven't "been able to substantiate the report" is not at all convincing relative to the things they do push, including trivial and unsubstantiated stories, to keep the Orange Man bad narrative going. Considering the weight and importance of this action, considering that Politico is fairly reputable, and considering they could easily get Congress people off the record to comment about it (their infamous "sources say" they always use as a credible source for past stories about the president) makes this argument even less convincing.

Comment

I guess we're back to the "chicken little" narrative. Oh well. For a short while, Trump was listening to his scientific advisers, and his base appeared to drop the theme. Now he's apparently reconsidering and his base is apparently falling right in line.

Seriously, what are you talking about? It is a fact that early case mortality rates for epidemics/pandemics are always high early on until folks get a handle on exactly what they're dealing with, and then the numbers drop, often substantially, to more realistic levels.

Why do I get the feeling you're almost disappointed that things may not be as bad as initially reported?
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-24-2020, 03:48 PM.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  What you, and rogue, and MM (and others) completely fail to understand is that I'm about the truth, and what is right. Period.
                  The problem is that you often seem to be under the false assumption that your opinion at any given moment is necessarily true and right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    The problem is that you often seem to be under the false assumption that your opinion at any given moment is necessarily true and right.
                    Well yes, if there is sufficient evidence from which to form a strong opinion, I will tend to think it is correct.

In case you hadn't noticed, you are at least equally convinced your own opinions are correct.

The difference is I'm basing my opinion on the evidence and fact, and as a consequence my opinion is actually more than my own. And consequently, it also can then be changed by more complete or new evidence should such evidence come to light.

As I have demonstrated multiple times over the years here on TWEB.

Comment

I do hope it is some sort of far left nuttery rather than fact. Nevertheless, I'm wondering how he can perceive that as somehow not incriminating Barr and the DOJ itself if it is true? Trump and Barr would be driving this if it was real - yes?

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Which is what certain experts have been saying all along, but that didn't fit the liberal "Let's hype the fear factor in order to hurt President Trump!" narrative, so it has been downplayed to a great extent.
                          Nearly 800 people died in a 24 hour period in Italy recently. If you can't test, treat, or contain the virus because of lack of medical equiptment, which is what is happening in the U.S. right now, then that is where the U.S. is heading as well. It isn't about hype or fear factor, it's about common sense and dealing with the facts. The wishful thinking of a stable genius isn't cutting it.

Comment

• my point was a few days ago that rate was about half that* - just 0.25%. the slopes of the logarithmic death and active cases curves are different, and the mortality rate will likely continue to rise more in line with that seen in other countries.

Time will show, but I am assuming their low death rate is more a result of high testing while the course of the disease through the population is still relatively new, much as in S. Korea. A few weeks ago, S.Korea also was well below 1%, but as more and more people traversed the entire course of the disease, it rose and is now at 1.3%, a more typical number for a country were the disease is contained and the number of serious and critical cases has not overwhelmed the medical system (e.g. areas of china outside Wuhan)

Jim

* (The most recent numbers put it at 0.48%)
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-24-2020, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I do hope it is some sort of far left nuttery rather than fact. Nevertheless, I'm wondering how he can perceive that as somehow not incriminating Barr and the DOJ itself if it is true? Trump and Barr would be driving this if it was real - yes?
                              What are you just stupid, or is your TDS affecting your reading comprehension?

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              What the DOJ is trying to do seems like it has nothing to do with the crisis and seems like something you can legitimately criticize the president for, yet they remain silent. Why is that?

Comment

In case you hadn't noticed, you are at least equally convinced your own opinions are correct.
                                Oh, no, you are far beyond me in that regard, and a heavy dose of confirmation bias has kept you repeating certain false claims about Trump and members of his administration despite contrary evidence.

Comment