Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the annual flu vaccine is actually a "cocktail" that protects against the flu strains seen as most likely to be circulating that year. The one used in the U.S. actually protects against four strains.
    As I understand it, even when the shot targets the proper strain(s), it's not 100% effective.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      As I understand it, even when the shot targets the proper strain(s), it's not 100% effective.
      That's true, the vaccine is not 100% effective in prevention, and it is more effective in healthy adults than in children and the elderly. Overall, I believe it is about 65 to 70 % effective in prevention. But, though it isn't 100% effective in prevention, it usually reduces the seriousness of the condition and helps prevent pneumonia, hospitilization and death, which is particularly important to the elderly.

Comment

A claim that flies in the face of the data that suggests some 40% of Americans cannot deal with an unexpected $400 expense.
        Yet, many middle class upgrade their phones every year and have phone bills in the hundreds of dollars monthly.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Yet, many middle class upgrade their phones every year and have phone bills in the hundreds of dollars monthly.

Comment

It is never 100% effective because it is always best guess what strains will dominate and the effectiveness of a vaccine can vary widely by recipient based on a host of factors. Medicine is not an exact science; too many variables.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              An interesting claim. First, where is your data come from? Can you source it? Also, how can you know this is not largely the 60%?

ETA: I've poked around at several sites that offer this kind of calculation and they all pretty closely agree. If you are in the bottom 40% (where presumably most of the people who are unprepared for a $400 unexpected expense reside), you would have an annual income under $44K. I'm sure some of them have iPhones and a monthly phone bill in the hundreds. Somehow, I doubt it is a dominant number, especially the "phone bill in the hundreds per month" claim, but I look forward to your sources so I can look at them.
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-22-2020, 08:46 PM.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

An interesting claim. First, where is your data come from? Can you source it? Also, how can you know this is not largely the 60%?

ETA: I've poked around at several sites that offer this kind of calculation and they all pretty closely agree. If you are in the bottom 40% (where presumably most of the people who are unprepared for a $400 unexpected expense reside), you would have an annual income under $44K. I'm sure some of them have iPhones and a monthly phone bill in the hundreds. Somehow, I doubt it is a dominant number, especially the "phone bill in the hundreds per month" claim, but I look forward to your sources so I can look at them.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Figures little Jimmy, would do that.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                    The US and most countries don't have enough test kits at the moment to meet current patient needs, better understanding of what's going on has to wait.

For now until testing capabilities improve*, if your illness is not serious, don't call to ask for a test. You don't get any special treatment even if you test positive, you don't get the test anyway, and they get too many calls as it is.

*depends on which country you're in. A few countries have enough tests
                    A person I work with just recently had his brother-in-law die in California, from "flu-like" symptoms at a VA hospital. He was never tested and won't be. His family would like to know what the cause was.

Right now, my state is claiming 90 confirmed cases. IMO, that probably translates into 900 to 3,000 that are unknown carriers.

Comment

It is never 100% effective because it is always best guess what strains will dominate and the effectiveness of a vaccine can vary widely by recipient based on a host of factors. Medicine is not an exact science; too many variables.
                      In other words, they "guess" one year in advance which strains are likely to be prevalent next year.

They use past epidemiological studies, the way the flu spreads, in order to predict which strains to protect against next year. Not perfect, but it does provide significant benefits in lives saved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        A person I work with just recently had his brother-in-law die in California, from "flu-like" symptoms at a VA hospital. He was never tested and won't be. His family would like to know what the cause was.

Right now, my state is claiming 90 confirmed cases. IMO, that probably translates into 900 to 3,000 that are unknown carriers.
                        I wonder just what the infection rates are. The US is not testing widely (except for the Very Important People in government). We have some state recording almost no spread of the disease while neighboring states do. We basically have to extrapolate data collected in other countries, such as Iceland and South Korea.

There is no hard data in the US on morbidity and mortality, we will have to examine the number of deaths for each months and estimate the number of deaths by comparing numbers of deaths in the past, which is how we estimate deaths due to epidemics in the 19th century: How many more deaths.

Comment

• Comment

Vaccines are never 100% effective and rely on herd immunity which is why anti-vaxxers don't just endanger themselves but everyone.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A claim that flies in the face of the data that suggests some 40% of Americans cannot deal with an unexpected $400 expense.
                              It often requires a shift in priorities

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Slick View Post
                                It often requires a shift in priorities
                                You do realize that in one post you note that antivaxxers don't just endanger themselves, but pose a threat to others because of the potential transmission of the disease, then in the next you avoid that conclusion.

Testing is central to any rational approach to this, the countries, like China (!) which have made progress have targeted the quarantines to those infected. We either need to clamp down on everyone, a hard lockdown, or give people information to make a decision.

Comment