Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Yes, and Trump has been dealing with it for months, but Democrats were too focused on their impeachment scam throughout January to bother doing anything useful. Instead, they mocked Trump and accused him of racism when he tried to restrict travel from infected countries, and even now Democrats are demanding that the President be stripped of his authority to close the borders.
    The travel ban as the first major response from the US, saw a stock market crash in response. It was too little too late, and not seen as a good move regardless by the market. Meanwhile, preparations for an outbreak, which should obviously have been begun immediately, are months late. Whatever you think he has been doing, what should of happened - didn't.

So, back to blaming others for your failures, I see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zero718182
      The travel ban as the first major response from the US, saw a stock market crash in response. It was too little too late, and not seen as a good move regardless by the market. Meanwhile, preparations for an outbreak, which should obviously have been begun immediately, are months late. Whatever you think he has been doing, what should of happened - didn't.

So, back to blaming others for your failures, I see.
      In reality, a number of medical professionals say that Trump's travel ban was the right call at the right time and checked the early spread of the China virus.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
        Covid 19 threatens to be a major hit on the world economy.

The mortality rate looks to be about 10 times that of the flu (maybe around 1% of those infected), over-80 years old has a 14% death rate. These are based on data out of China, so should be taken with a grain of salt, although it seems to me that China is unlikely to be over-reporting their mortality rates. Certainly from the government reaction there they think it's a lot worse than the flu.

Given what we know so far about how infectious the virus is (high transmission rate) and how widely it has already spread, a pandemic seems more likely than not. That could mean millions of people worldwide dying.
        The mortality rate is over estimated, because by far the majority, thousands who have the virus show little or no symptoms, and the reason the virus spreads and pops up in different places that do not seem to be connected. Will cite more that conclude this death rate is exaggerated.

Comment

In reality, a number of medical professionals say that Trump's travel ban was the right call at the right time and checked the early spread of the China virus.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            The mortality rate is over estimated, because by far the majority, thousands who have the virus show little or no symptoms, and the reason the virus spreads and pops up in different places that do not seem to be connected. Will cite more that conclude this death rate is exaggerated.
            S. Korea has tested heavily, they haven't gone for the close everything approach. The number of new cases is reducing. It is likely that they are finding pretty much everyone that is infectious, else, the number of cases wouldn't be plateauing. The mortality rate is lower than in other countries, however, their demographic is also much younger, the virus is more likely to harm/kill older people. So, while it would be nice to believe that the numbers are overestimates, this is not by any means a certainty.

Italy meanwhile is taking a beating, with decisions being made that no doctor wants to make.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
              S. Korea has tested heavily, they haven't gone for the close everything approach. The number of new cases is reducing. It is likely that they are finding pretty much everyone that is infectious, else, the number of cases wouldn't be plateauing. The mortality rate is lower than in other countries, however, their demographic is also much younger, the virus is more likely to harm/kill older people. So, while it would be nice to believe that the numbers are overestimates, this is not by any means a certainty.

Italy meanwhile is taking a beating, with decisions being made that no doctor wants to make.
              South Korea is a tiny country, with less than 1/6th of the US population.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Such ignorance.

But - at the same time - I know it can't be corrected by the facts, and so I will not try very hard to do so.

To all but those infected with Trumpian denial, a simple observation of the catastrophe unfolding in Italy should suffice. I would love for you to tell me when in the last 50 years something 'less deadly than the flu' has so overwhelmed the hospitals of a modern state that they must now choose who lives and who dies due to equipment shortages? Or that has killed 6% of the people it infects. Or that puts 10% of the people in infect into the hospital needing help breathing?

The current naive mortality stands at 3.7% (total deaths/total cases)

the current worst case mortality stands at 6.7% (total deaths/recoverd+deaths)

S. Korea, where the most extensive testing campaign has been waged is nearing a real mortality of 1% - 10x the flu.

We are regularly pushed to the limit during flu season. This thing is more contagious than the flu and will be 10x that number if not stopped or slowed.

That means 9 out of 10 people needing hospital care will not be able to get it.

In countries with poor medical care, the mortality is much higher. E.g. Iran: naive mortality near 5%.

Mortality for the elderly is more like 10%+

I have posted the numbers. But you'll believe idiots over the facts.

So be it.
                Please read demi's earlier response the last time you posted this braindead nonsense.
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I think San Fran has banned meetings of 50 or more.

Doesn't the Constitution have something to say about this?
                  No one cares during an emergency. During martial law and curfew, no one cares.

These 'rights' are not absolute.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    South Korea is a tiny country, with less than 1/6th of the US population.
                    What does that mean? It seems like you're making a point, but I don't see it. Are you trying to see if you can run the "why public healthcare can't work in America" talking point, line ?? ... ??

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Your last sentence is just not supported by the evidence.
                      Read this post, demi is not going to keep repeating himself.

Comment

It seems things are happening now, so I will tone down my negative posts on Trump and co. A bit harsh and so very politically incorrect.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          Try telling that to Italy. They ran out of ventilators.

There is a lot of resistance to seasonal flu in the population.
                          For seasonal flu, they don't run out of ventilators because many old people just die at home. Italy is only running out probably because they are being incredibly proactive. If they acted as per normal, there should not be any shortage. Also, Italy has one of the oldest populations.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                            For seasonal flu, they don't run out of ventilators because many old people just die at home. Italy is only running out probably because they are being incredibly proactive. If they acted as per normal, there should not be any shortage. Also, Italy has one of the oldest populations.
                            They are dealing with the flu AND Covid19 - as well as other conditions. Two flu-like illnesses, not good. Not something we want.. a global coordinated response could mean, we don't have.
                            Last edited by Zara; 03-14-2020, 01:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
                              They are dealing with the flu AND Covid19 - as well as other conditions. Two flu-like illnesses, not good.
                              Yes, many old people who would normally die at home of the flu are now clogging up the system.

Comment

The travel ban won't stop the spread of the virus already in the US. As to how much there is cannot be assessed because Trump disbanded the White House Pandemic Unit in 2018 which was charged with preparing for when, not if, another pandemic would hit the nation. Well it's hit, and there are not enough testing kits available (among other things) to find out just how many infected people there are. So, the government is not in a position to even measure the extent of the problem.

Comment