Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
    Hold on now. So, one person revealing that they have a holstered handgun is an explicit threat, but a group carrying long guns while wearing tactical gear isn't?
    Whoops, you moved the goalposts. Your scenario was not simply revealing a holstered weapon but revealing a holstered with the explicit intent of intimidating another person, the clear implication being, "If you don't do what I say, then I'll shoot you."

Is that what the protestors were doing? Not as far as I know. They were simply exercising their Constitutionally protected right to bear arms as part of a peaceful demonstration.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      And so what if the psychopath's were planning to attend? Their murdering a security guard in cold blood had nothing to do with the protest itself or anybody else who managed to show up without shooting someone.
      Here WW attempts to shift the conversation away from the point raised by seanD.

The Virginia protest was held up as an example how ammosexuals can protest peacefully while armed *more heavily* than the police officers asked to keep the peace. My point was that that likely only happened because the violent ones were fortunately arrested beforehand thanks for the FBI.

Comment

Whoops, you moved the goalposts. Your scenario was not simply revealing a holstered weapon but revealing a holstered with the explicit intent of intimidating another person, the clear implication being, "If you don't do what I say, then I'll shoot you."
        The intimidation comes from the knowledge that the other person is armed. Revealing that one is armed is intimidating because most people know that the primary job of a gun is to kill people. Why is revealing a weapon a form of intimidation but carrying them out in the open *while wearing tactical gear* not a form of intimidation?

Let me put it differently. If you were walking down the street and on one side you saw someone openly carrying a long gun while wearing tactical gear and on the other side you saw someone unarmed wearing street clothes which side of the street would you prefer to be walking on?

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
          My point was that that likely only happened because the violent ones were fortunately arrested beforehand thanks for the FBI.
          You don't know that. Because they were engaging in criminal activity elsewhere doesn't mean they were planning violence at the rally.

And, again, lumping a group of pro 2A criminals in with hundreds of pro-2A noncriminals is a bit disingenuous. Almost, though not quite, as disingenuous as lumping them in with gang members in a Flint ghetto.

Nah, on second thought, the latter takes the cake when it comes to dishonesty.

Comment

The intimidation comes from the knowledge that the other person is armed. Revealing that one is armed is intimidating because most people know that the primary job of a gun is to kill people. Why is revealing a weapon a form of intimidation but carrying them out in the open *while wearing tactical gear* not a form of intimidation?

Let me put it differently. If you were walking down the street and on one side you saw someone openly carrying a long gun while wearing tactical gear and on the other side you saw someone unarmed wearing street clothes which side of the street would you prefer to be walking on?
            Whichever side I happen to be on. I wouldn't switch sides just because of it. In fact, I might inquire to what the caliber and make/model the long gun is. What optics are on it etc. I think it simply comes down to your comfort level with armed citizens. I conceal carry most of the time, I think open carry is stupid, but not intimidating or illegal...at least it's not here.
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

No, it's not. Simply carrying a gun is not threatening in and of itself. It would require the act of brandishing it, or aiming it at another person to be a considered a threat, and trying to link murderous thugs to a completely unrelated group of peaceful protestors is nothing but an attempt to smear innocent people, and I'm honestly not sure what your motivation is here.
              The is no 'motivation' other than to criticize absurd acts that are ratcheting up these issues to the point they will produce violence.

Carrying guns to protest being forced to wear masks (to protect others by the way) is an act of intimidation. That gives permission to other less stable but angry folks to do the same or to take it to the next step. It is called 'imitation'.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                Nope, you're still flailing. Your original example was a character in a television program showing his holstered weapon to another character with the explicit intent to intimidate. Now you're trying to move the goalposts to someone simply openly carrying a weapon.

Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                Unless the guy with the gun was doing something otherwise threatening, I would have no problem sharing the same side of the street with him.
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-06-2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  The is no 'motivation' other than to criticize absurd acts that are ratcheting up these issues to the point they will produce violence.

Carrying guns to protest being forced to wear masks (to protect others by the way) is an act of intimidation. That gives permission to other less stable but angry folks to do the same or to take it to the next step. It is called 'imitation'.
                  I disagree. I don't think the ghetto incident had anything to do with being influenced by pro-gun rightwingers. Chances of that are pretty laughable. The group that shot the guard was probably just sick of the mandates, and they acted violently because it's the nature of the ghetto to act that way. You guys keep assuming all these protests are only rightwingers and Trump supporters, even the ones at the beaches in California and NY. That's more than likely a false assumption.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Correlation implies causation, is that it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                      Whichever side I happen to be on. I wouldn't switch sides just because of it. In fact, I might inquire to what the caliber and make/model the long gun is. What optics are on it etc. I think it simply comes down to your comfort level with armed citizens. I conceal carry most of the time, I think open carry is stupid, but not intimidating or illegal...at least it's not here.
                      Not cool on the streets of Baltimore, and I would definitely go the other way as fast as I could.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Out of curiosity, what do you think about the movement where people open carry into restaurants just to demonstrate that they can?

It seems counterproductive to me because all it has done thus far is prompt several restaurants/stores to clarify their policies to ban all carrying, even concealed, whereas they had left it a grey area previously. It also seems immature; it seems like a Second Amendment version of walking around shouting profanity just to demonstrate one has First Amendment rights.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Out of curiosity, what do you think about the movement where people open carry into restaurants just to demonstrate that they can?

It seems counterproductive to me because all it has done thus far is prompt several restaurants/stores to clarify their policies to ban all carrying, even concealed, whereas they had left it a grey area previously. It also seems immature; it seems like a Second Amendment version of walking around shouting profanity just to demonstrate one has First Amendment rights.
                          My personal opinion is it's stupid to make yourself a primary target in case of attack or robbery by open carrying. If someone is intent on robbing or shooting up a place, they will concentrate on the obvious objects of resistance first. I'm pretty used to guns and they don't bother me but I just think it defeats the purpose of being armed if you make yourself a primary target.
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Nope, you're still flailing. Your original example was a character in a television program showing his holstered weapon to another character with the explicit intent to intimidate.
                            Not what I said. What I said is they revealed the gun knowing that *most people* tend to feel intimidated knowing that someone is armed.

Now you're trying to move the goalposts to someone simply openly carrying a weapon.
                            The useful idiot protesters we're discussing are open carrying. Even Sean Hannity said it's a bad idea to bring guns into this.

Unless the guy with the gun was doing something otherwise threatening, I would have no problem sharing the same side of the street with him.
                            Fine, let me ask the question differently.

How do you think *most people* would respond in that situation? Do you think the majority of people would be less comfortable around someone carrying a long gun wearing tactical gear than someone who wasn't? I can only speak for everyone I know well but I'm sure every single one of them would feel less comfortable around the armed person than the unarmed one. And many of them own / enjoy guns (I don't own one but I've fired guns enough to know that it's fun :)).

Comment

Not what I said. What I said is they revealed the gun knowing that *most people* tend to feel intimidated knowing that someone is armed.

The useful idiot protesters we're discussing are open carrying. Even Sean Hannity said it's a bad idea to bring guns into this.

Fine, let me ask the question differently.

How do you think *most people* would respond in that situation? Do you think the majority of people would be less comfortable around someone carrying a long gun wearing tactical gear than someone who wasn't? I can only speak for everyone I know well but I'm sure every single one of them would feel less comfortable around the armed person than the unarmed one. And many of them own / enjoy guns (I don't own one but I've fired guns enough to know that it's fun :)).
                              I wonder what the reaction would be if the guy with the gun was black?
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I agree, it just comes down to your comfort level with armed citizens. I think the average American is less comfortable with armed citizens than with unarmed ones. Polls seem to back that perspective up.

Comment