Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    This is the fake news part, and Fauci has repeatedly called out reporters who have tried to run with this false narrative.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Once again, you're confusing morality with shrewdness, and this is because you most likely live in a bubble. Biden is just as corrupt, only he's a whole lot more elegant about it and even knows how get folks to pity him (though now I think it's not an act). He's just as corrupt, just as much a elitist womanizer and sexual harasser as all of them. Why does he hide it so well (except of course when he's groping women and little girls on camera)? Probably because he's a career politician. He knows how to say nice things to get naive folks like you to believe he's a nice guy.
      No - I'm not confusing morality with shrewdness. The man chronically lies - period. He defends lying as perfectly appropriate. He calls names. He seeks retribution for the least slight and always has. He bullies, and always has. He promotes violence and encourages hatred. He subverts the rule of law in word and practice. He is the single most unfit person for the office he holds in my lifetime, and perhaps the history of the Republic. I have no cause to believe Biden is any of those things. If I did, he would lose my vote. I do not think he is a perfect man by any stretch of the imagination. But he is flawed in ways that are pretty much aligned with the human norm, AFAICT. If you have evidence to the contrary, please provide it. Otherwise, I'm afraid you're making assertions without evidence. For Mr. Trump - the evidence is readily available in the form of his tweets, his briefings, his rallies, and his public actions. It is evident for anyone who has not decided to ignore it all so they can get their desired "policies."

I have to admit, I just don't have a lot of respect for people who will sell their soul to achieve their desired "policies."
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        No - I'm not confusing morality with shrewdness. The man chronically lies - period. He defends lying as perfectly appropriate. He calls names. He seeks retribution for the least slight and always has. He bullies, and always has. He promotes violence and encourages hatred. He subverts the rule of law in word and practice. He is the single most unfit person for the office he holds in my lifetime, and perhaps the history of the Republic. I have no cause to believe Biden is any of those things. If I did, he would lose my vote. I do not think he is a perfect man by any stretch of the imagination. But he is flawed in ways that are pretty much aligned with the human norm, AFAICT. If you have evidence to the contrary, please provide it. Otherwise, I'm afraid you're making assertions without evidence. For Mr. Trump - the evidence is readily available in the form of his tweets, his briefings, his rallies, and his public actions. It is evident for anyone who has not decided to ignore it all so they can get their desired "policies."

I have to admit, I just don't have a lot of respect for people who will sell their soul to achieve their desired "policies."
        It's not about protecting policies, it's about protecting our faith, what remnants are left of it, but you wouldn't understand this. And the left sells their "souls" all the time for the sake of their pet policies. Why do you think the left is ignoring Biden's sexual assault charges (no more or less credible than what was leveled at Kavanaugh -- in fact, we have video and photo evidence Biden is at least a sexual creep), just to name one example? And no one needs the respect of some anonymous schmoe on the internet. As an atheist, I'm sure you'd love to eradicate our religion at the stroke of a button if you had the choice. You've pretty much admitted this in so many words. No one needs your respect.

Comment

It's not about protecting policies, it's about protecting our faith, what remnants are left of it, but you wouldn't understand this. And the left sells their "souls" all the time for the sake of their pet policies. Why do you think the left is ignoring Biden's sexual assault charges (no more or less credible than what was leveled at Kavanaugh -- in fact, we have video and photo evidence Biden is at least a sexual creep), just to name one example? And no one needs the respect of some anonymous schmoe on the internet. As an atheist, I'm sure you'd love to eradicate our religion at the stroke of a button if you had the choice. You've pretty much admitted this in so many words. No one needs your respect.
          The highlighted phrase was enlightening. If you have to throw your support to an obviously corrupt and immoral man to protect your faith, Sean, then I respectfully suggest your faith is long since past the need for protecting. The ideals formerly associated with Christianity an the teachings of one Jesus of Nazareth have been ejected in favor of "policies."

And I don't care whether it is "the left" or "the right" sacrificing their souls for "policies" - the practice is deplorable. But it is especially deplorable in the so-called "party of family values" and the religion that claims the moral high road.

And I have no idea what video of Biden you are referring to. I know of several in which he is shown being "handsy." I had an uncle like him. They are from another time when a casual hug, embrace, kiss on the cheek was simply an expression of affection. It has become increasingly inappropriate and women are finally speaking out - but it is not maliciously intended and Biden has acknowledged the need for change. That is a far cry for bragging about grabbing women's genitals and then being defended by the so-called "moral right" as "it's only locker talk!"

And I am an atheist - not an anti-theist. I have never understood other atheists preoccupation with a god they don't believe exists or their need to "eradicate religions from the face of the earth." I do think religions have mostly run their course and I am beginning to think the balance is shifting from "more good than bad" to "more bad than good," but I'm not ready yet to write off religions as a bane on human existence, so I'm not sure what words you're referring to. Religions have historically served a purpose, and some of that purpose may still have merit. But I do have to admit the widespread support for a man like Trump by the Christian right has me truly questioning that position.

BTW - I wasn't always an atheist. I was a bonafide "born again Christian" for many years. Technically, I think you would call me an apostate. And I didn't suggest anyone needed my respect - I simply noted that I don't have much of it for those who would so significantly compromise their ethics to achieve their desired "policies," whatever their political affiliation.

Comment

The highlighted phrase was enlightening. If you have to throw your support to an obviously corrupt and immoral man to protect your faith, Sean, then I respectfully suggest your faith is long since past the need for protecting. The ideals formerly associated with Christianity an the teachings of one Jesus of Nazareth have been ejected in favor of "policies."

And I don't care whether it is "the left" or "the right" sacrificing their souls for "policies" - the practice is deplorable. But it is especially deplorable in the so-called "party of family values" and the religion that claims the moral high road.

And I have no idea what video of Biden you are referring to. I know of several in which he is shown being "handsy." I had an uncle like him. They are from another time when a casual hug, embrace, kiss on the cheek was simply an expression of affection. It has become increasingly inappropriate and women are finally speaking out - but it is not maliciously intended and Biden has acknowledged the need for change. That is a far cry for bragging about grabbing women's genitals and then being defended by the so-called "moral right" as "it's only locker talk!"

And I am an atheist - not an anti-theist. I have never understood other atheists preoccupation with a god they don't believe exists or their need to "eradicate religions from the face of the earth." I do think religions have mostly run their course and I am beginning to think the balance is shifting from "more good than bad" to "more bad than good," but I'm not ready yet to write off religions as a bane on human existence, so I'm not sure what words you're referring to. Religions have historically served a purpose, and some of that purpose may still have merit. But I do have to admit the widespread support for a man like Trump by the Christian right has me truly questioning that position.

BTW - I wasn't always an atheist. I was a bonafide "born again Christian" for many years. Technically, I think you would call me an apostate. And I didn't suggest anyone needed my respect - I simply noted that I don't have much of it for those who would so significantly compromise their ethics to achieve their desired "policies," whatever their political affiliation.
            The entire system is corrupt. That's an indisputable fact. Christians can either choose to lay down and not partake in that system of government at all (probably the wisest choice, but it's not going happen), or they can use that system to preserve their faith as long as they can and as best they can. That's the choice. It ain't going to happen with a Democrat at the helm, especially in today's environment where Dems have gone completely off the rails from where they used to be and have become little loony authoritarian PC nazis. That's the choice. It's that black and white to us. You don't like it, ah well.

Comment

Breaking News: New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is a moron...

It is not quite that simple, but on this we agree. To release criminals into the public and expect them not to commit more crimes out of some sense of 'gratitude' is basically moronic. They didn't get into prison because they were nice people that have respect for others. As I said before, releasing them without some sort of rigorous tracking is not particularly bright. OTOH, they are facing a mortal threat, and one does need to ask if what they did deserves a 1 to 4% chance they will die in there.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

This is the fake news part, and Fauci has repeatedly called out reporters who have tried to run with this false narrative.
                That is not fake news MM. Fauci has corrected the President on numerous occasions. That is simply a fact.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The entire system is corrupt. That's an indisputable fact.
                  Wow. And they say I'm bad with my desire to leave if Trump is re-elected. I don't know how old you are, Sean, but one thing I have learned in my 60+ years is that superlatives are almost always a sign of misinformation. "The entire system" is such a superlative. I know it is NOT entirely corrupt. Indeed, I know the majority of it is not corrupt. Is their corruption? Of course there is. And it increased dramatically when Trump took office. Not in my memory have so many members of a political campaign ended up in jail (with the possible exception of Nixon), nor have so many cabinet posts been quickly vacated due to scandal after scandal. But the vast majority of government is staffed by good people who go to work each day to do their work and support their country. Yeah - there are lazy people - and corrupt people - and bureaucrats who are a bit too power hungry, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Frankly, most of the corruption appears to come from the enormous influence that money wields in government - and we can thank the right for dialing that up to "super boil" with the widely defended "Citizens United" decision.

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  Christians can either choose to lay down and not partake in that system of government at all (probably the wisest choice, but it's not going happen), or they can use that system to preserve their faith as long as they can and as best they can. That's the choice.
                  Again - if you have to "preserve your faith" by selling your soul to a con man like Trump - it isn't worth preserving, IMO.

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  It ain't going to happen with a Democrat at the helm, especially in today's environment where Dems have gone completely off the rails from where they used to be and have become little loony authoritarian PC nazis. That's the choice. It's that black and white to us. You don't like it, ah well.
                  Yeah...so now I know you're kind of off the rails yourself. While I actually agree with the observation that the PC thing has gotten a bit out of hand, Nazis? Sean, it wasn't Democrats marching down the road in Charlottesville chanting "Jews will not replace us!" and "Blood and soil." And while there is violence from the far left, the vast majority of domestic terrorism in the U.S. springs from right-wing extremist organizations. In 2018 - every single death due to domestic terrorism was from such groups. And many of them claim the banner "Christian." Imagine that. If we all treated Christianity the way so many Christians treat the Muslim world, that fact would have us condemning Christians everywhere.

You are pointing fingers when your own house is pretty bloody. You might want to consider backing it down a bit, and perhaps helping to clean up your own house before throwing rocks at the neighbor's.

Comment

• I wonder - has it escaped the notice of the "Liberate X" people and demonstrators that we are currently losing more people to this pandemic every two days than we lost in 911? Every two days - another 911.

By all means - let's open up the economy. After all, it's no worse than the flu...right?

It's enough to make a man weep...

Comment

• When the Democrats negotiate for things they see as important in the stimulus legislation - it is immediately written off and decried as "taking advantage of a pandemic to push forward a political agenda."

So what, I wonder, will be the reaction to this? Trump has been trying to shut down (or at least drastically curtail) immigration since taking office. Now he's using the pandemic as an excuse to shut it down completely.

Let me guess - he's justified in taking that action - it's for the good of the nation. Except isn't that exactly what was being said BEFORE the pandemic?

He's blatantly pandering to his base (again).
                      Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-20-2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Mm, you continue to try to pretend I was not watching the briefings where Fauci corrected trump. That sort of blatant denial might persuade some Trump worshippers willing to ignore what they saw and heard for 'the cause', but it will not work on me.

Comment

• Watch out for immunity certificates and the desire of desperate people to get themselves infected.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/p...lockdowns.html

Comment

• Chile is moving ahead with immunity passports, against medical advice.

Comment

By all means - let's open up the economy. After all, it's no worse than the flu...right?
                              According to a new a study, the China flu is far more widespread, and far less deadly than originally thought, with a mortality rate around 0.1%.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...han-predicted/
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Trump's nose just frew one yard.

Source: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/donald-trump-cornavirus-us-saved-lives_uk_5e9c2dcbc5b635d25d6e1dc4?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKnCoS2tAdccHqr-tQW9zrloSR_n_zpBu0lZmhgEOhurHxpN2SZaJ34vGUuwTB9GOd946QHZtsgqhtRIMoVNpBvAtZwPNL2jKiBl4510ECONfhxRJI4Xfs5U5cKwF6AHHpTN5SWwWF7ngp5Kbf4oDj881Z04LHkl0U5FdkWthQGV&guccounter=2

Trump Boasts He Likely Saved 'Billions' Of Lives In A Nation With 330 Million People

© Copyright Original Source

Only Germany? How about Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-21-2020, 08:17 AM.

Comment