Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    My suggestion: I'd cut the dosage on those meds in half...
    The only meds I'm on is my baby aspirin in the morning - and that's small enough that cutting it half would be quite a challenge!

(perhaps that's the problem? I'm not on ANY meds?)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      The only meds I'm on is my baby aspirin in the morning - and that's small enough that cutting it half would be quite a challenge!

(perhaps that's the problem? I'm not on ANY meds?)
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I believe this style of argument is formally known as the Gish Gallop:

During a Gish gallop, a debater confronts an opponent with a rapid series of many specious arguments, half-truths, and misrepresentations in a short space of time, which makes it impossible for the opponent to refute all of them within the format of a formal debate. In practice, each point raised by the "Gish galloper" takes considerably more time to refute or fact-check than it did to state in the first place. The technique wastes an opponent's time and may cast doubt on the opponent's debating ability for an audience unfamiliar with the technique, especially if no independent fact-checking is involved or if the audience has limited knowledge of the topics.
        So this fails on two counts:

1) I wasn't debating anyone - I was adding to Jim's initial list, so was actually posting in agreement with.
        2) The list is not specious, half-truths, or misrepresentations. These are all things that happened due (directly or indirectly) to Trump. The first few are from memory and are in arbitrary order. Then I began researching. I got tired of writing/researching somewhere around December, 2017, so there are about 2.5 years worth of abominations from this man not represented on the list.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• No hypocrisy was pointed out, Pix, so I have no clue what this refers to.

Congratulations on yet another (failed) attempt to read my mind...

...and predict the future. How you think ANY of this passes for rational argument is beyond me.

This is proceeding down the usual useless path, so Ill leave the last word to you unless you ask a rational question I have not already responded to.

Comment

1) I wasn't debating anyone - I was adding to Jim's initial list, so was actually posting in agreement with.
            2) The list is not specious, half-truths, or misrepresentations. These are all things that happened due (directly or indirectly) to Trump. The first few are from memory and are in arbitrary order. Then I began researching. I got tired of writing/researching somewhere around December, 2017, so there are about 2.5 years worth of abominations from this man not represented on the list.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Right... I often wonder if you even buy your own excuses.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• So the story is beginning to shift in the rural U.S. where stay-at-home orders have not been issued. Most of the states without these orders are seeing infection rates spike significantly above those of state with stay-at-home orders in place. This is nothing if not predictable.

The mantra is "we trust our people to be responsible." The problem is, while I can be responsible, I can do nothing to make my neighbor be responsible and wear a mask when going out, limit "going out" to only what is necessary, hand-wash regularly, etc. Because this is a virus, anyone who does NOT do these things is spreading it to others, especially since the vast majority of us have to go out now and then to get food, help those in need, etc. As an individual person, I have limited ability to protect myself from the morons who insist "it's not an issue/problem" or "we should just infect everyone now and get it over with," etc. I can shelter in place, and wash my hands, and not touch my face, and wear a mask. But the mask is designed to reduce the chance of me infecting others (if I am infected). It does little to protect me from others. And the bug is invisible to the naked eye - so it is horribly difficult to stay sterile in an unsterile world.

Bottom line, the governors who are not taking forceful steps to limit movement within their states are endangering some of their citizens at the best, and outright condemning some of their citizens to die at the worst. This is exactly what government is for: handling/managing a collective crisis with the participation of the citizens. But we have drifted into an age where a significant percentage of the citizenry has decided "government bad." An attitude once relegated to the extreme right survivalist and conspiracy-theory types has become mainstream. So there is a significant percentage of the population (getting to be almost the entire Republican party) that will explicitly do "X" if the government leaders say "NOT X," just because "government bad" and "you are taking away our rights."

We all give up certain "rights" to live in a Republic - and we all have certain rights protected. That's how it works. But this is the "me me me" era. God forbid any of us be inconvenienced to help deal with a national crisis.

Comment

Would it be okay if I say that I condemn the things Trump has done in his personal life, but I support the things he has done as president? Is it all or nothing as far as you're concerned, or are we allowed to have a nuanced opinion? I wonder if you agree with every personal decision your employer has ever made, and if you take it upon yourself to condemn him in front of your fellow employees...
                  MM - this is a straw man. I myself have noted when Trump has done good things. That is not the issue. The issue if the unswerving support for Trump in the bad things.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    ...unswerving support for Trump in the bad things.
                    Speaking of straw men...

Comment

Speaking of straw men...
                      There is NO-ONE in this forum that supports Trump more completely and more completely without reservation than you MM. Though there may be some that can match you.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

There is NO-ONE in this forum that supports Trump more completely and more completely without reservation than you MM.
                        That would be false. I support Trump neither completely nor without reservation, and I certainly do not "unswervingly support Trump in the bad things".

Comment

That would be false. I support Trump neither completely nor without reservation, and I certainly do not "unswervingly support Trump in the bad things".

Point me to a post in this forum where you have condemned something trump has done. The most you have ever done is maybe once or twice agreed something called out by someone else wasn't good. You even supported the man when he wanted to leave Coronavirus victims stranded on a ship!

Comment

MM - this is a straw man. I myself have noted when Trump has done good things. That is not the issue. The issue if the unswerving support for Trump in the bad things.
                            The problem is they don't see them as bad things.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                              The problem is they don't see them as bad things.
                              You are probably right. But then again, if they don't perceive the issues brought up here as bad, and they will defend him in the good things, that would tend to imply they have in fact offered unswerving support for the man here in this forum.

But given what he has done that is in fact bad (re the lists of mine and the augmented list by carpe), they have, in fact, supported him in the bad things, whether they admit it or not.

Comment

Point me to a post in this forum where you have condemned something trump has done.
                                http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...513#post729513

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                The most you have ever done is maybe once or twice agreed something called out by someone else wasn't good.
                                Which is to say that I have condemned him, I just haven't done it in a way that you apparently prefer, so I guess it doesn't count.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                You even supported the man when he wanted to leave Coronavirus victims stranded on a ship!
                                I don't remember that conversation. Do you have a link so I can refresh my memory?
                                Last edited by Mountain Man; 04-17-2020, 02:17 PM.

Comment